Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I kinda like the narrative in this game, but then again I have pretty low standards.

The game part of the game is just goddamn tedious though. I can see what they were going for, but gently caress me it feels more like work than fun most of the time.

After figuring out and beating Chapter 4 on the second try(and having to just click as fast as I could through 15 days for no good reason), I quit right at the premise of Chapter 5. gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

al-azad posted:

No, in games that give you the option to chat or fight, fighting leads to a fight. Here the shoot option can pacify someone, kill someone, or delay someone or sometimes all the above. Sometimes you're given a prompt, sometimes you aren't you'll never know unless you click. There could be a symbol telling you an option leads to more options but no, that's just something you have to try for yourself because failure is fun, I guess.

I didn't have a problem getting the grasp of what each scenario expects of you. Obviously you have to find it out by trying a couple times, but I don't think they're all that obscure. My problem is that even when you totally grok how things work but still lose despite doing everything as correctly as possible. I don't mind some trial and error gameplay, but the real sticking point for me is that there are no checkpoints of any kind and that meant that I ended up being bored of each one because it takes so long to give it another go. And then occasionally it'll go the other way like it did for me in chapter 4 where I essentially 'beat' the scenario halfway through, but still had to sit there clicking and clicking and clicking until the days finally ran out and I won.

I'm not entirely sure I've ever seen a game that's so... willfully unfun I guess is the way I'd describe it. Maybe that's the meta point or something, but if I'm not engaged on any level by a game other than being bored by it I really can't bring myself to care.

Devour or Fire posted:

Are the really retards who honestly believe it's ok to fund artsy garbage sub-games with the hopes that it will be proof of concept for some unrelated person to make something that is similar but not completely awful.

Is putting money into experimental games some sort of cancer that's killing the industry or something? You make it sound like some sort of moral failing to accept that if you buy experimental/indie games the diamonds will be buried under a mountain of poo poo.

I mean if somebody was getting SO MAD after buying an indie game that ended up being bad, then yeah whatever gently caress 'em because INDIE GAME ROULETTE BITCH

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

exquisite tea posted:

Somewhere, some goon is preparing a 9,000 word deconstructionist treatise on how this game is a triumph of subverting the player's expectations of enjoyment.

I don't think I could debate their core premise at least.

• Locked thread