Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Junkenstein posted:

Ooh, I must have missed that one. What is it, a Faction mission?

Public PvP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Takedown missions are really loving stupid and badly handled, and really highlight all the worst parts of the game.

Like, did they really intend for you to just play the mission, find out the course he's driving, and then fail and start again now knowing where he's going and using that exact path in order to ram into him? Its just really really really stupid. The driver makes all kinds of last minute wicked turns, so its really hard to catch up to him and hit him without overshooting on some corner you didn't know was a corner and losing him entirely, or you catch up and then overshoot him and now you're in front of him, but wait this isn't a race you're supposed to hit him. Plus the physics are generally the shittiest part of the engine, so half the time you hit him you do like 0 or 1 points of damage, and other times you barely tap him and its like 30 damage points, wtf.

This game has a serious lack of loving RACES. The entire first half of the game you do like a single mission that actually has laps. I'm all for having a few side-missions to break up the monotony, but holy poo poo its a racing game, have some more races maybe? Drag races and street sprints and offroad and slamming into boxes like its loving Smugglers Run is cool and all, but WHERE ARE THE RACES.

I imagine that all the proper races are locked away behind Circuit Spec, so that you can't actually do proper races until you're level 40?

Really loving terrible game design.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
No yeah seriously only buy this game for the PvP races or the open world driving. Almost 100% of the other content is complete trash and isn't even a good way to earn money or levels.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Such a shame as well. Developers have had those GTA style takedowns and police escapes sorted for a while now. Ubisoft's own Watchdogs has fine police chases, why did they have to make them so annoying in The Crew? It's like they forgot to take away the racing rubberbanding code from the cops or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Also Escape the Cops missions in multiplayer make no sense. It just randomly elects a player of the team to be "it", and he's the one wanted by the cops, and the only one.

Everybody else just kinda.... fucks off? I guess in theory you can try to take down the cops chasing your buddy, but you're just as likely to make things worse. And since new cops are constantly streaming in, there's not really any point. The person being chased just needs to drive fast and then get off major roads for awhile.

You can even have somebody drive way off when it starts (since the cops aren't following them) and then if the one person gets captured, it just picks the other person and now they're wanted. And since they're way off, ... instant success?

And the only way you fail is if you get stopped, which doesn't happen because you were driving bad so much as usually the physics just kinda gently caress you over.

Its so sad because The Crew is really close to being an amazing game... but they spent all their time on the wrong parts of it. And too much of the fundamental game design is just totally hosed.

The open world is AMAZING. They did a great job of it. The little skill challenges are pretty fun, and being able to do them while just driving around not giving a gently caress is great.

If only they had some loving RACES.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
If you can co-ordinate it's not too hard to cock-block cops when youre "protecting" the wanted guy. Driving behind the car they are chasing really exposes how bullshit the cops driving is though. Notice I left the word "physics" out of that sentence, because there isn't any. They are more like guided missiles on wheels.

And yeah PVP is the best for money. Make sure you max the perk for more cash in PVP, you get 18k per game then :v:

For reference though, the Long Island Speeddrome or whatever Circuit race in the East Coast is dull as poo poo. It's an oval race. Turn left! for NINE LAPS. Alternately the Ice Track dirt race in mountain states is the poo poo.

Speaking of PVP money, the end race screen totally spazzed out last night...

It was only the display though, I got awarded the usual 18200 for the win. (Yes I did immediately drop out of the lobby to check :v:)

Also, best raid car for me is the RUF 3400K. It gets moving like poo poo off a shovel and then isn't too slippery at high speeds. Costs a bunch but it's pretty much the only thing I use for serious racing.

Vadoc posted:

I'm trying to take down that corrupt FBI guy now but the provided Raid vehicle for the mission has lovely handling and the terrain is even worse to try to stay on target to go through the packages to get enough to finish. You have to keep going fast, and if you slow down at any point you likely won't have enough time at the end.

I think you might be bad at driving Raid, there's loads of time for that mission.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

New cars are available for Season Pass Holders. The Aston and Viper can get Perf. kits, Fiat gets Street and Perf. Kinda sucks that they're limited in customization, but the Viper makes up for it by being amazingly good in Perf spec.

Doesn't look too bad, either. Those rear tires are so massive :allears:

e: 'Spose I should mention, you get all 3 cars free, already delivered to your HQ. Still have to buy the specs for them, but you're given their fullstock versions when you boot the game up.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 13, 2015

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Holy poo poo the V12 Zagato is so pretty :swoon:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Letting my 8 year old nephew use my profile to mess around while he waited for his mom to come pick him up, and he just got done with a 3-hour, cross-country game of tag with some rando online. I kept checking in on him and it was the same dude the whole time.

So natnar2005, wherever you are, my nephew had a lot of fun, thanks.

E: lmao and PSN goes down right after I post this, so now we can't play

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 14, 2015

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

T1g4h posted:

New cars are available for Season Pass Holders. The Aston and Viper can get Perf. kits, Fiat gets Street and Perf. Kinda sucks that they're limited in customization, but the Viper makes up for it by being amazingly good in Perf spec.

Doesn't look too bad, either. Those rear tires are so massive :allears:

e: 'Spose I should mention, you get all 3 cars free, already delivered to your HQ. Still have to buy the specs for them, but you're given their fullstock versions when you boot the game up.

My Viper (aquired through UPlay cheevos) has only ever had the Perf spec available for it though (?).

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Zaphod42 posted:

I imagine that all the proper races are locked away behind Circuit Spec, so that you can't actually do proper races until you're level 40?

Can anyone answer this? This game is actively trying to get me to stop playing with all these terrible missions. I just want to loving race, (or rather just make money to get more sweet cars to open drive with) and when I do, race in my own cars.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

markgreyam posted:

Can anyone answer this? This game is actively trying to get me to stop playing with all these terrible missions. I just want to loving race, (or rather just make money to get more sweet cars to open drive with) and when I do, race in my own cars.

Do you mean on track races? Most of the actual race courses are circuit spec. There are a few closed dirt courses as well. That said there's nothing preventing you from playing the PvP lobbies in other cities which are all races. Faction missions are also all races.

I'm not sure if the later PvP lobbies and faction missions are gated behind the storyline progression. I believe they're just level gated. That said the specs appear to be storyline progression gated.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 14, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

My Viper (aquired through UPlay cheevos) has only ever had the Perf spec available for it though (?).

That's just for that Viper, and you can never change the spec on it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Extra posted:

Do you mean on track races? Most of the actual race courses are circuit spec. There are a few closed dirt courses as well. That said there's nothing preventing you from playing the PvP lobbies in other cities which are all races. Faction missions are also all races.

I'm not sure if the later PvP lobbies and faction missions are gated behind the storyline progression. I believe they're just level gated. That said the specs appear to be storyline progression gated.

Specs are purely level-related. In fact, if you finish, say, the Florida storyline at a low level, I assume you'll have to level up to open the Raid Spec before you can do anything in Vegas. I don't think there's anything stopping you from ignoring the storyline completely and leveling up to circuit spec and East Coast PVP lobbies as soon as you complete whatever tutorial missions you have to.

Orv posted:

That's just for that Viper, and you can never change the spec on it.

So the Viper in the Season Pass is a different car to the one anyone can get? That makes sense.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

So the Viper in the Season Pass is a different car to the one anyone can get? That makes sense.

Yup. The U-Play Viper is a 2010 SRT-10, the Season Pass / Extreme Car Pack Viper is a new 2013 Viper GTS.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

Eh, it wouldn't really make sense the other way. "Buy this season pass and get this bonus car that you.... already have?"

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, it wouldn't really make sense the other way. "Buy this season pass and get this bonus car that you.... already have?"

Well quite, but this is the game that's charging going on £100 to buy all the cars with real money.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The 2010 SRT-10 viper that you get from Uplay has both Perf and Circuit specs. And it's Circuit spec is really good.

Also you're complaining about two vipers but this game has like five loving mustangs - The 67 Shelby, the 2011 GT, the 2013 Shelby, the 2015 Fastback and the 2015 GT (preorder). :psyduck:

Also two pretty much identical Minis. One is the STREET EDITION, which means it saves you 10k bucks and unlocks the street spec for you or something. Which I now own, which is weird. Buying the season pass (I got it cheap) appears to have unlocked all the preorder content? I have four "STREET EDITION" cars now that I didn't have before. :shrug:

E: did I mention THIS THING IS SO PRETTY

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah I seem to remember some ads that popped up for the season pass over xmas telling me I'd get three cars RIGHT NOW, so I guess they must have been the pre-order stuff.

I read that the DLC cars have 'unique missions'. Any good?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah I seem to remember some ads that popped up for the season pass over xmas telling me I'd get three cars RIGHT NOW, so I guess they must have been the pre-order stuff.

No thee Ads said two cars right now, and those are the Mclaren MP4-12C and the Ferrari 458.

I had not heard anything about unique missions, I will investigate.

E: can't find anything about them in-game..

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 14, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

AirRaid posted:

Also you're complaining about two vipers but this game has like five loving mustangs - The 67 Shelby, the 2011 GT, the 2013 Shelby, the 2015 Fastback and the 2015 GT (preorder). :psyduck:
You don't need any of them to complete the game so what does it matter? :shrug:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

It doesn't "matter", really. I was just pointing it out since the topic of multiple similar cars came up. Your trolling is getting worse, I can't even figure out what dumb point you're trying to make here.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh no trolling at all, and it's totally alright and not at all skeevy to pawn off virtually identical virtual cars to addicts of a bad make believe video game for money.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Great Joe posted:

Oh no trolling at all, and it's totally alright and not at all skeevy to pawn off virtually identical virtual cars to addicts of a bad make believe video game for money.

Your sarcasm sucks.

Also, "Addicts"? :lol:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

You're also not exactly required to buy the new DLC pack, and you could always just get the older Viper for free with UBucks or whatever their cheevo points are called if you just have to have one. It really isn't skeevy in the slightest. Want the new Viper GTS because you're a car guy and think it's rad? Buy the DLC. Don't care? Don't buy it.

drat you Ivory Tower, peddling your car crack to us helpless fiends who are just forced to buy them.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, it's totally great design to have multiple copies of the exact same thing behind different paywalls.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Virtua Racer's various camera modes
Daytona USA's drafting and drifting dynamic
Wipeout's air brake
The Crew's multiple paid reskins of the exact same car

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm not sure if you knew this since you don't play the game but instead just whine about faults, perceived and actual, but all those mustangs actually drive differently because they're different cars with different engines and suspensions and all sorts of poo poo.
The only two that are similar enough are the two 2015s, other than that the 2015 is different from the 2013 which is different from the 2011 which sure as hell is different 67.

But I mean I guess you maybe don't understand how cars work, both in videogames and IRL?

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
to hell with the Mustangs, I just gained like 16 levels dicking around in the Abarth. :allears:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

My god you're right hopterque. Maybe if I understood how identical make believe video game cars worked...this game wouldn't be irredeemable garbage! :wth:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Enjoying multiplayer now, but I really wish there were lobbies or playlists dedicated to offroad raid, track racing, rallying etc. The region based lobbies where the winner picks the gametype and rules really don't cut it in a game that's meant to have multiplayer at the forefront.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

Enjoying multiplayer now, but I really wish there were lobbies or playlists dedicated to offroad raid, track racing, rallying etc. The region based lobbies where the winner picks the gametype and rules really don't cut it in a game that's meant to have multiplayer at the forefront.

Yeah, just another really shortsighted design decision which is keeping this game from its potential.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Being able to create one's own races, save them and put them on a playlist in multiplayer has been a thing in open world racing games for at least 9 years, just FYI.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Great Joe posted:

Being able to create one's own races, save them and put them on a playlist in multiplayer has been a thing in open world racing games for at least 9 years, just FYI.

You keep saying things as if those of us who enjoy the game despite its flaws were responsible for design decisions or can do something about it.

Make-your-own races on this map would be amazing and should have been a feature, everyone agrees with that. What's your point?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Great Joe posted:

The thing is they had that in TDU2. And NOBODY USED IT. Loads of people made tracks but hardly anyone played any of them, and to be honest most of them were really poo poo. I woould like to dick around and make races but it would be in the knowledge that basically no-one would play them. Kinda the same deal with my Portal 2 maps. I made a bunch and had loads of fun doing it, but hardly anyone played them and thats fine.

Thing is I can see why they would drop player-made races way down the to do list based on their experience with tdu2.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
Great Joe stop posting in this thread

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Challenges are up. Current monthly (which is meant to be 'long') only involves finding 8 wrecks and gives you 100,000 bucks (reminder: approximate wreck areas can be found under the exploration tab). The others aren't really worth it from a buck per minute perspective but it gives some structured challenge if you're after that.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
I did the 5k / 20k challenges this morning without even intending to, although it looks like you're SOL for the big one if you've already found all the wrecks.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

triple clutcher posted:

I did the 5k / 20k challenges this morning without even intending to, although it looks like you're SOL for the big one if you've already found all the wrecks.

Yeah, I've seen a few people mentioning that they've already found every wreck so that challenge is impossible for them. That's kinda hosed up, be nice if they fixed it. I found all 100 within the first week or two, so I'm kinda screwed on that challenge as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I decided to give the snow raid another try, but bought the BMW z4 and that made a huge difference. I beat it (and the rest) of the game rather easily. It's ridiculous how much better the handling gets once you hit 750+. It was a monumentally dumb decision to lock handling behind leveling. I don't think there would have been that big of a stink about the game if it wasn't. The improved handling also reduces the effect of rubber banding since you're not fighting the car and the other racers at the same time.

The challenges are nice, decent payouts for not that much time investment. The weekly changed to "escape full wanted by cops" 100 times, but gently caress that, I'm not having anything to do with the cops. That poo poo is one of the worst parts of the game.

• Locked thread