Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

POTATO IN MY ANUS posted:

you gotta be kidding me does he have time to take the last pound and a half off?

He's got 2 hours. He'll almost certainly make weight, the question will be whether it affects him during the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Maybe he just forgot to spit out his dip?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Hendricks came in at 171,5 for his fight with robbie lawler, so he had to cut the same amount of weight after the weigh ins.

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!
One hour.

He looked drained in the first place.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Welp, what little hope I had for Matt Brown is gone.

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!

fatherdog posted:

He's got 2 hours. He'll almost certainly make weight, the question will be whether it affects him during the fight.

Anik said one hour but I'm guessing that's because he's misinformed/an idiot?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

Anik said one hour but I'm guessing that's because he's misinformed/an idiot?

It's usually two but I believe it varies by state, so it might be one here.

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

just tried (unsuccessfully) to suck my own dick.

I think I need a break from the internet.

fatherdog posted:

okay that's reasonable. so if he decides to leave it there he forfeits 20%? does it get ruled a NC?

I haven't seen a lot of guys miss weight in my very few years so I never cared to look it up.

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

POTATO IN MY ANUS posted:

okay that's reasonable. so if he decides to leave it there he forfeits 20%? does it get ruled a NC?

I haven't seen a lot of guys miss weight in my very few years so I never cared to look it up.

20% of Brown's purse goes to Lawler if he opts not to make weight.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Turn it to a catchweight, and the rest who knows probably loses some good will and potential bonus money even if he wins.

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!
Brown isn't allowed to continue to cut weight.

Dana said this has no bearing on his status as #1 contender if he wins tomorrow night.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

What does that mean?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

jesus christ that does not sound good

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Brown has opted to take the 20% fine in lieu of trying to make weight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

doverhog posted:

What does that mean?

the doctors say 'no'

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
That does make him ineligible for FOTN/POTN though :(

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

canoshiz posted:

That does make him ineligible for FOTN/POTN though :(

Lawler is going to get 3 bonuses, 2 for FOTN and 1 for POTN with the KO.

e: plus 20% of Brown's purse.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Brown won’t be fined and he’s still eligible for bonuses, per Dana White. Commission messed up and wouldn’t let him weigh in again.

Per Marc Raimondi.

So... okay then.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

-Atom- posted:

Brown won’t be fined and he’s still eligible for bonuses, per Dana White. Commission messed up and wouldn’t let him weigh in again.

Per Marc Raimondi.

So... okay then.

....what?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

quote:

Brown was given two hours to cut an additional 1.5 pounds to avoid losing 20 percent of his purse to Lawler, and planned on cutting the additional weight. But he was told by the California State Athletic Commission he would not be allowed to cut any more.

That led to a discussion between UFC President Dana White and the CSAC, in which White argued that Brown shouldn’t be subject to a 20 percent fine if he was willing to cut the weight, but wasn’t allowed to by the commission. Ten percent was to go to Lawler, and another 10 percent to the CSAC. White won out.

So officially, Brown missed weight at 172.5 pounds – but won’t be fined. On the preliminary card, UFC newcomer Juliana Carneiro Lima was in a similar situation. She was off target for her preliminary card fight against Joanna Jedrzejczyk. She came in at 117 pounds for the strawweight bout and was given two hours to cut to the limit of 116 pounds. Jedrzejczyk was 115. Lima got down to 116.5 pounds, but couldn’t hit the limit. But she won’t be fined, either.

More importantly for each fighter, both remain eligible for the UFC’s post-fight bonus awards.

CSAC is hosed up, but for a good cause so whatever

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Props to Dana White for going to bat for Matt Brown

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Eh, cutting weight takes a heavy toll on fighter's bodies, so it's a little hosed up for White to encourage that kind of behavior, but his actions make sense from a bottom line perspective.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Panama Red posted:

Eh, cutting weight takes a heavy toll on fighter's bodies, so it's a little hosed up for White to encourage that kind of behavior

Are you for real.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Panama Red posted:

Eh, cutting weight takes a heavy toll on fighter's bodies, so it's a little hosed up for White to encourage that kind of behavior

In what way is Dana "encouraging that kind of behavior"

Patient_Toffee
Apr 21, 2006

Break me off, show me what you got
Cause I don't want, no one minute man

fatherdog posted:

In what way is Dana "encouraging that kind of behavior"

If the commission doctor told Brown he couldn't cut anymore weight because it would be detrimental to his health (not sure if that's exactly what happened). Then surely it was Brown's responsibility to make weight in a safe manner and if the doctor belives he is unable to then the fault is with Brown.

By arguing that Brown shouldn't be fined Dana is effectively saying that the commission should of allowed him to continue to cut weight even if they thought it was dangerous and Brown bares no responsibility.

This all assumes that it happened exactly this way, which I'm aware it may not have done and might just have been a big gently caress up by the commission.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Patient_Toffee posted:

If the commission doctor told Brown he couldn't cut anymore weight because it would be detrimental to his health (not sure if that's exactly what happened).

It isn't.

quote:

which I'm aware it may not have done and might just have been a big gently caress up by the commission.

Bingo.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Someone explicitly said there wasn't a medical reason for not letting him cut more?

Patient_Toffee
Apr 21, 2006

Break me off, show me what you got
Cause I don't want, no one minute man

fatherdog posted:

It isn't.

Bingo.

It wasn't that much different though. The doctor advised him not to cut anymore weight, which means he onviously believed it would be detrimental to his health. Brown misunderstood that as a directive and so believed he couldn't weigh in a 2nd time.

But even then after the weigh in, when asked if he wanted to weigh in again or take the fine he apparently accepted the fine.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-s-matt-brown-misses-weight-but-won-t-forfeit-purse-in-odd-twist-072514?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:ufconfox

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Lawler finishes brown is winning the poll. I don't know how this fight goes but I have more excitement for this than virtually anything MMA related this year.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Meowbot posted:

Lawler finishes brown is winning the poll. I don't know how this fight goes but I have more excitement for this than virtually anything MMA related this year.

It's funny to me that people are voting in that. I was using it as a means of making more jokes.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Agent Tough Juice posted:

It's funny to me that people are voting in that. I was using it as a means of making more jokes.

I voted for friendship forever because Matt Brown & Robbie Lawler in a buddy copy movie where instead of guns they use MMA to beat their opponents into oblivion would be pretty much the best thing ever.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Patient_Toffee posted:

It wasn't that much different though. The doctor advised him not to cut anymore weight, which means he onviously believed it would be detrimental to his health. Brown misunderstood that as a directive and so believed he couldn't weigh in a 2nd time.

But even then after the weigh in, when asked if he wanted to weigh in again or take the fine he apparently accepted the fine.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-s-matt-brown-misses-weight-but-won-t-forfeit-purse-in-odd-twist-072514?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:ufconfox

this is actually pretty hosed up if this is how it went down

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Marching Powder posted:

this is actually pretty hosed up if this is how it went down

You can bet your rear end Zach Arnold will have a 20 page write up on this poo poo tomorrow

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0HAh7w7Rzk

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I wont' be able to tune in until like 9:40 EST - is it possible to watch fightpass events on delay?

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Yup.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OXK4FUUHAI

there's a common theme in all these knockouts and i think it rears its head on saturday
I forgot about Lawler doing that to Koscheck's brain.

<3 Lawler

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
http://i.instagram.com/p/q5PLvtvA0o/

Robbie knows how to make jokes that annoy the poo poo out of Dana.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Rewatching Hendricks-Lawler and goddamn was that a badass fight. As much as I love Matt Brown I want to see that rematch more. If only they could do a triple threat for the belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

attackmole posted:

http://i.instagram.com/p/q5PLvtvA0o/

Robbie knows how to make jokes that annoy the poo poo out of Dana.

jesus sean shelby looks haggard

• Locked thread