Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diqnol
May 10, 2010

One day it will be gone with the wind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

My car is called Margo. She is bright red.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
My bus is called bus.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
My beloved red dodge stratus's name is Charles.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Asiina posted:

My bus is called bus.

Tbf my main mode of transport is also bus because I am rarely at home.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

Scooters own, and Charlotte looked to be a magnificent one.

I assume Scarlett is... scarlet?

Yep! Those scratches on her side are from when the brakes mysteriously stopped working a few years ago; I am glad I was wearing thick jeans and gloves or else I'd have had a bad time. The mardi gras beads are from when I let a friend take care of her while I visited new york city last labor day (where I saw keane), my friend has no idea how they got there but they became a fixture immediately and have since lost their coloration from the elements.

Charlotte died at 1804 miles, Scarlett hit mile 8333 when I took her out for a quick spin just now.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Asiina posted:

The speech from Independence Day is still pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj16vfbsM9A

lol if you don't have this memorised, tbh

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
My 2005 Sentra was named Old Reliable since she went 10 years and 150k miles without ever breaking down. After two breakdowns in two months, I've realized its sadly time to move on.

I've been test driving new cars today, so far the Honda Fit is winning.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
glad your ok Mags

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
I am glad you didn't die, Magnus

One of my friends has a red Ford Taurus named B'Elanna Taurus

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We have a small Salem group if anyone else wants to join.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Met posted:

We have a small Salem group if anyone else wants to join.

OOH OOH PICK ME

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

what's the name of our fantasy movie league

edit: never mind

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 4, 2015

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
hey Met et al. I lagged out

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Town won. People are really bad at this game.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

merk posted:

Town won. People are really bad at this game.

yep. "I'm cop, I have a scum result" *votes* "DON'T RANDOM VOTE" *no-lunch*

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

The name of my car is "I take mass transportation so I don't choke the last breaths of life from mother nature's lungs."

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

CCKeane posted:

The name of my car is "I take mass transportation so I don't choke the last breaths of life from mother nature's lungs."

My car doesn't have a name, but it's brand is "Shoes for Crews"

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Mine: Chevy Malibu Stacy
Friend from high school: Jesus Chrysler

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Mithross posted:

My car doesn't have a name, but it's brand is "Shoes for Crews"

I've got a Reebok but I need to replace the insoles.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i bought town of salem in the summer sale, finally got around to playing it the other day, picked the most basic match option as far as i could tell, and ended up being one of two jesters in the game

thank god for steam refunds

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

scored a goal but we lost the match in the last minute :-(

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

flatluigi posted:

i bought town of salem in the summer sale, finally got around to playing it the other day, picked the most basic match option as far as i could tell, and ended up being one of two jesters in the game

thank god for steam refunds

The very basic set up has one jester and one executioner (lyncher), who becomes a jester if his target dies to a night kill.

Ranked is a much better set up, but is unfortunately locked behind 50 games played. Custom modes count, thankfully, but it's still a bit of a slog. Even if you only play custom you're going to get a lot of idiot hosts.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My first scooter (unknown Chinese brand "Titan 150", nickname, "The Grackle") was a gigantic piece of poo poo that ate its drive belt every two or three months. The clutch would just gently caress up relentlessly, and the electrical system was so poo poo, the headlights basically never worked, I couldn't ride it at night. I had flashlights brighter than that headlight.

My current scooter is great, a 400cc Suzuki Burgman, but I've just had a laundry list of troubles, a litany of woes owning the drat thing. It got stolen, then recovered in a police sting against the crew of thieves who nabbed it, removed the cargo case, the keylock and the windshield, snapped the lock of the underseat cargo hold, and spraypainted the thing black in what can only be termed as a "rattlecan holocaust" finish. It probably would have been heading south of the border if, as I later heard rumor of, one of the thieves hadn't been caught joyriding one of the stolen bikes and rolled over on the entire operation. This same stealing-and-hotwiring job ended up causing a short that put the bike in the shop twice in April of 2014, some seven months later, both times under the suspicion of a fuel injector problem, since it tripped that idiot light in the course of shorting out. Just had to get fresh tires put on, and then, not two weeks later, I get a loving flashback to the Grackle as the drive belt goes and leaves me stranded on I-35 in rush hour. loving great. It's still in the shop, should be out early next week.

I don't have any photos of my current bike except from before it got its apocalyptic makeover.

Weirdly, the Titan, I realized some time later, is a cheapo knockoff of the Burgman.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

CCKeane posted:

She'll choke out our last breaths before we get hers IMO.

I drove a beat up pick up named Voltron
Then a Suzuki named Lion-O
Then Caroline the Hyundai
Now a fusion called piece of junk.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

dustin brown is out of wimbledon but at least he was entertaining as all gently caress :3:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
whats the movie league password.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I am a terrible person and am watching the hot dog eating contest on espn

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I didn't really feel like watching a second movie yesterday, so now I'm watching Contact while eating leftovers from dinner last night for lunch. This was one of my favourite meals before and I think that the new healthier and more limited version is still a good approximation. It's all the same tastes, so I'm really enjoying it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm sorry you watched Contact.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's a good movie.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Little Mac posted:

I'm sorry you watched Contact.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Asiina posted:

It's a good movie.

Actually it is the worst movie.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Little Mac posted:

Actually it is the worst movie.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
actually, no, The Village is the worst movie. Contact is very close.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I agree the whole "lol we built 2" thing was stupid, but the entire rest of the movie is very much the kind of thing I love. I like realistic portrayals of unusual or fantastic things. How would people honestly react and live in a world where something huge like this happens. The people denying it, the politicizing of it, the nonsense unrelated issues being forced into it by people with an agenda, people taking advantage, people getting violent. I like seeing how society as a whole deals with things, it's super interesting.

Some of my other favourite stories with similar themes: Contagion, a movie from a few years ago about the outbreak and subsequent cure of a disease that kills off many, many people. The Day After, a TV movie from the 80s about the 24 hours after a nuclear attack on the US and how people who were affected but outside the blast radius cope. Also despite it's many, many flaws World War Z is still a great example of the whole societal progression.

This is also why I hated that one episode of Black Mirror because they did not marry the technology in with the people very well and so it was completely unrealistic.

So yeah, Contact is a great movie.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
K-Pax is my favorite science fiction film.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

imgay posted:

The Fault In Our Stars is my favorite science fiction film.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Never seen that taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Asiina posted:

I agree the whole "lol we built 2" thing was stupid, but the entire rest of the movie is very much the kind of thing I love. I like realistic portrayals of unusual or fantastic things. How would people honestly react and live in a world where something huge like this happens. The people denying it, the politicizing of it, the nonsense unrelated issues being forced into it by people with an agenda, people taking advantage, people getting violent. I like seeing how society as a whole deals with things, it's super interesting.

Some of my other favourite stories with similar themes: Contagion, a movie from a few years ago about the outbreak and subsequent cure of a disease that kills off many, many people. The Day After, a TV movie from the 80s about the 24 hours after a nuclear attack on the US and how people who were affected but outside the blast radius cope. Also despite it's many, many flaws World War Z is still a great example of the whole societal progression.

This is also why I hated that one episode of Black Mirror because they did not marry the technology in with the people very well and so it was completely unrealistic.

So yeah, Contact is a great movie.

The Day After is an interesting movie. It got a lot of attention and ABC had to set up a 1-800 number with counselors for people who could not handle the potential reality of nuclear war. It also had some good newspaper advertisements. I really like this one in particular:

I keep meaning to watch When the Wind Blows, which is similar to The Day After and Threads. I'm never really in the mood to watch it though. Too depressing. Contagion is a good movie, though. I really liked the sub-plot about the blogger trying to profit off a worldwide catastrophe using homeopathic medicine and the media is forced to take him seriously because of the insanity of the situation.

I actually really like fiction that focuses on the beginning of the apocalypse than fiction that focuses on its aftermath. The Last Policeman does a really good job of showing humanity failing to cope with its impending destruction. I also really love stories of pre-Revolutionary France and Russia, where the ruling elite see warning signs, but fail to do anything until there is blood in the streets. Is pre-apocalyptic fiction a thing?

EDIT: With Black Mirror, are you talking about the episode with the cartoon bear? I hated that episode for roughly the same reasons. There's no reason for that kind of a joke candidate to be that successful, except that the plot demands it, or for him to somehow lead humanity into a bizarre 1984-esque dystopia

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 4, 2015

• Locked thread