Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

When the Wind Blows is literally the most depressing thing I have ever seen. Full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Movies stink I hate movies the only good movie was Sixth Sense.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
My Skype account was compromised. If you received a message from me with a link, do not open it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
If anyone is interested in The Day After, you can watch the whole thing on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yif-5cKg1Yo

QuoProQuid posted:

The Day After is an interesting movie. It got a lot of attention and ABC had to set up a 1-800 number with counselors for people who could not handle the potential reality of nuclear war. It also had some good newspaper advertisements. I really like this one in particular:

I keep meaning to watch When the Wind Blows, which is similar to The Day After and Threads. I'm never really in the mood to watch it though. Too depressing. Contagion is a good movie, though. I really liked the sub-plot about the blogger trying to profit off a worldwide catastrophe using homeopathic medicine and the media is forced to take him seriously because of the insanity of the situation.

I actually really like fiction that focuses on the beginning of the apocalypse than fiction that focuses on its aftermath. The Last Policeman does a really good job of showing humanity failing to cope with its impending destruction. I also really love stories of pre-Revolutionary France and Russia, where the ruling elite see warning signs, but fail to do anything until there is blood in the streets. Is pre-apocalyptic fiction a thing?

EDIT: With Black Mirror, are you talking about the episode with the cartoon bear? I hated that episode for roughly the same reasons. There's no reason for that kind of a joke candidate to be that successful, except that the plot demands it, or for him to somehow lead humanity into a bizarre 1984-esque dystopia

I've also never seen When the Wind Blows, but I should. I also haven't heard of The Last Policeman, but I'll give it a look since it sounds like my kind of thing. I totally get what you mean about pre-apocalypse fiction. My interest is in the process, so seeing it from the beginning through to whatever end is really interesting to me. I just love watching the whole progression of something huge happening to everyone and the mental gymnastics people go through to ignore it or to make it fit into their world view, but then accepting it, adapting to it, and whatever it is eventually just becoming part of your life, but that this happens at a different pace and in a different way for everyone. I find that much more interesting than watching a single person or family go through a disaster situation. I also get frustrated when movies or books gloss over that kind of thing in the prologue so they can get to the post-disaster stories.

Also I'm talking about the episode of Black Mirror with the memory implants since it feels very "let's take people of today and imagine that we dumped this technology on them" and then started filming it, rather than it feeling like it was something that developed organically in their world and it would be something they are used to. And I mean this for more than the stupidity of being caught cheating in the most obvious way that would absolutely have a failsafe. It's also about the arguments they had over whether something was said or not in a previous conversation. People wouldn't have that kind of conversation anymore if they had really become accustomed to this technology.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey When the Wind Blows is also on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdtpvoOXn2o

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
was contact the movie film a lot different from the novel, i dont remember. i enjoyed the novel big lots though, so i'm guessing many of you have terrible wrong opinions about things

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, but if they are similar I'd love to read the novel someday.

EDIT: I found this article that says they are fairly similar, but that the love interest was a movie only thing and that there were 5 people sent instead of just 1, but otherwise the overall message and themes were the same.

Asiina fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 4, 2015

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Asiina posted:

If anyone is interested in The Day After, you can watch the whole thing on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yif-5cKg1Yo

I've also never seen When the Wind Blows, but I should. I also haven't heard of The Last Policeman, but I'll give it a look since it sounds like my kind of thing. I totally get what you mean about pre-apocalypse fiction. My interest is in the process, so seeing it from the beginning through to whatever end is really interesting to me. I just love watching the whole progression of something huge happening to everyone and the mental gymnastics people go through to ignore it or to make it fit into their world view, but then accepting it, adapting to it, and whatever it is eventually just becoming part of your life, but that this happens at a different pace and in a different way for everyone. I find that much more interesting than watching a single person or family go through a disaster situation. I also get frustrated when movies or books gloss over that kind of thing in the prologue so they can get to the post-disaster stories.

Also I'm talking about the episode of Black Mirror with the memory implants since it feels very "let's take people of today and imagine that we dumped this technology on them" and then started filming it, rather than it feeling like it was something that developed organically in their world and it would be something they are used to. And I mean this for more than the stupidity of being caught cheating in the most obvious way that would absolutely have a failsafe. It's also about the arguments they had over whether something was said or not in a previous conversation. People wouldn't have that kind of conversation anymore if they had really become accustomed to this technology.

Sometimes with bad disaster/action movies, my friends and I play a game called "After the Credits" where we try to figure out what exactly society is supposed to do after the credits roll. Even if the movie rolls on a supposedly happy conclusion, with the aliens being defeated or the protagonists surviving the natural disaster of the century, there's still the uncomfortable consequences lingering in the background. Thousands of people are dead and various national landmarks have been irrevocably damaged, but the writer wants you to go along and pretend as though everything will be fine. I know you aren't intended to put any thought into these kind of movies, but my friends and I find it really entertaining to look at whatever horrifying reality the writer ignored to make their ending possible.

Take White House Down, for example, which ends on a lovely aerial tour of Washington but takes place in a world where high-ranking government officials and DoD contractors have orchestrated a false flag terrorist attack to remove the President. Even though the Speaker of the House is revealed in Scooby Doo fashion as the real villain, Jaime Foxx has legally been removed as President. The Speaker is dragged away in handcuffs, but he technically remains U.S. President, a case which will inevitably make its way before the Supreme Court. This is to say nothing of the panic that the American public will experience when they realize a bunch of weapons manufacturers orchestrated a semi-successful coup d'etat against the United States government. That's a huuuuuge crisis that everyone is going to immediately deal with. The Day After Tomorrow is another fun movie to play with, as is Top Gun.

I get your issues with Black Mirror. I didn't have the same complaints, and enjoyed the episode, but can see why it might be frustrating.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 4, 2015

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i think you have to watch that black mirror episode with the perspective of him being an obsessive freak, and her being a naieve moron. just like people in plenty of relationships in the real world

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
My sister likes pre-apocalypse movies for the same reason, and says that's a large part of why she hated T3. I've never seen Terminator 3, but I assume that makes sense to people who have.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

uranus posted:

i think you have to watch that black mirror episode with the perspective of him being an obsessive freak, and her being a naieve moron. just like people in plenty of relationships in the real world

That's fine because they are both of those things, but then I'd rather watch something more realistic since "idiots will be idiots no matter the technology" isn't really a compelling story about either people are large or the technology itself.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am legitimately excited for the Amy Schumer movie coming out soon but I'm so confused - Bill Hader seems like such a strange choice? Like, there's just a big disparity in attractiveness is all, it's weird.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

EccoRaven posted:

I am legitimately excited for the Amy Schumer movie coming out soon but I'm so confused - Bill Hader seems like such a strange choice? Like, there's just a big disparity in attractiveness is all, it's weird.

I didn't know there was an Amy Schumer movie coming out. I like her show, but the trailer left me feeling pretty cold. Not sure if I will see it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Sephiroth_vs._Goku

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If you're attracted to either of those people you need to raise your standards lol

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

being attracted to sephiroth is normal. hes very pretty

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i'm at a catholic wedding and angry about the patriarchy rn. Thanks for listening.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

are these real people holy poo poo

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Same with Goku, really.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

GulagDolls posted:

being attracted to sephiroth is normal. hes very pretty

Little Mac posted:

Same with Goku, really.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

goku=53.5

sephiroth=50

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What is Sephiroth's power level?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

What is Sephiroth's power level?

Goku is the Strongest in the Univers. < Period. Do you see it? It proves your statement invalid. Sephiroth would never in his life stand a chance. Goku could easily dispatch him with one hand. Seph's sword would not even cut Goku let alone kill him. Its a stupid idea to think anyone could defeat Goku. Luffy from One Piece could kill sephiroth. Goku would erase his existence altogether. And if you were to really compare power levels Sephiroths might be at like between 1000-7000 Nowhere near Son Gokus. Whose is probably at full power an 8 digit number. or more.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Imagine us getting to page 1000 on the fourth. :911:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The new thread is ready to go.

Prepare yourselves!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

you guys netrunner is on tabletop simulator

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Hello fair mafia thread!

We are in the sunset of my reign as OP; sometime on page 1000 or so I will close the thread and let the next person take my place (who we all agree will be Asiina). This thread has had many ups and downs, but it introduced fun concepts where we learned more about each other, like the Buzzfeeds and how polarizing pineapple is on pizza. On the whole I think it was a Good Thread, and the next one promises to be even better.

To help encourage our reaching Page 1000 faster, to shatter the image of me as a mysterious gestalt figure, and as one final act of self-aggrandizement, I volunteer to be interviewed by the Mafia Community on topics mundane.

Hello I am ecco AMA.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

BottleKnight posted:

Imagine us getting to page 1000 on the fourth. :911:

Imagine the first post on page 1000 being about Goku.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Sic transit gloria pagina.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

EccoRaven posted:

Hello I am ecco AMA.

Why do you enjoy playing a character on a message board so much?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Do you plan to keep our appointment?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

Hello fair mafia thread!

We are in the sunset of my reign as OP; sometime on page 1000 or so I will close the thread and let the next person take my place (who we all agree will be Asiina). This thread has had many ups and downs, but it introduced fun concepts where we learned more about each other, like the Buzzfeeds and how polarizing pineapple is on pizza. On the whole I think it was a Good Thread, and the next one promises to be even better.

To help encourage our reaching Page 1000 faster, to shatter the image of me as a mysterious gestalt figure, and as one final act of self-aggrandizement, I volunteer to be interviewed by the Mafia Community on topics mundane.

Hello I am ecco AMA.

shtu the gently caress up

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Little Mac posted:

Why do you enjoy playing a character on a message board so much?

because I like seeing how people collect information about each other to form a cohesive identity on who the other person is and seeing what they do when the information conflicts.

Tremendous Taste posted:

Do you plan to keep our appointment?

not particularly but I'll be around

GulagDolls posted:

shtu the gently caress up

no you

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

EccoRaven posted:

because I like seeing how people collect information about each other to form a cohesive identity on who the other person is and seeing what they do when the information conflicts.

thats not the reason and you know it

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i have met asiina irl but not in new york

you guys don't want that tyrant ruling over us

she chatted with me about the intricacies of dota 2 when we met, and i suspect she would easil;y change the shank 2 op to a dota 2 op if given the chance

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i chatted to her about counter strike and was met with this ... glassy gaze in her eyes

almost like she was attempting to understand why someone would willfully choose to play a good game as opposed to succmub to the torture of screaming "STAY IN YOUR LANE" at the top of her lungs

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
though my opinion carries little weight, I trust asiina with the new thread more than fronz/gulag, despite her not proving herself on the field of battle like they did.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

EccoRaven posted:

Hello I am ecco AMA.

Ecco, tell us about a time when you felt in harmony with the universe.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

EccoRaven posted:

though my opinion carries little weight, I trust asiina with the new thread more than fronz/gulag, despite her not proving herself on the field of battle like they did.

Hang on is Gulag Fronz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Look Under The Rock posted:

Hang on is Gulag Fronz?

no they are just both two sides of the same coin.

Look Under The Rock posted:

Ecco, tell us about a time when you felt in harmony with the universe.

I have never felt harmony with the universe.

• Locked thread