Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

agarjogger posted:

Don’t drive uber, you’ll absolutely come to despise people. By all means, steal back money from the immigrant who clears $11/hour and risks arrest and impound when he takes you to the airport.

I do the same thing with immigrant taxi drivers (legitimate ones). Sometimes I won't even pay my fares because they are immigrants, and they need to be taught a lesson about coming to America and stealing our jobs.

Sometimes I will even call the police and let them know about the taxi or uber driver that is taking me to the airport so they can arrest him or her.

:devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

lurker1981 posted:

I do the same thing with immigrant taxi drivers (legitimate ones). Sometimes I won't even pay my fares because they are immigrants, and they need to be taught a lesson about coming to America and stealing our jobs.

I used a car service once in NYC to get to the airport. I asked the driver if he was from Mexicana (the name of the car service) but I kind of wonder if he thought I was asking him if he was Mexican. He said he was. I got a call like half-way through the ride from Mexicana asking me where the hell I was. I told them I was in the car they sent, and they were like "wtf?"

So I dunno, is it OK to be lovely to immigrant cabbies if they're poaching fares? I paid the fare but I didn't tip him.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Kind of "Celeb Scandal!" type of video, but it's goes into the flaws of Uber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXt0lG3IRZQ

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Knyteguy posted:

Kind of "Celeb Scandal!" type of video, but it's goes into the flaws of Uber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXt0lG3IRZQ

I don't watch any of those shows... do they all gesture so much?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30478008

Uber put in their "surge" pricing for $200 taxi rides in Sydney while people were trying to flee the scene of an armed standoff with the police.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SpelledBackwards posted:

I don't watch any of those shows... do they all gesture so much?

No idea hah - this was linked on Facebook. Uber is trying to penetrate our market locally and running into some issues, so there was some discussion about it.

One good thing they did was donate some thousands of dollars to our local food bank.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

canyoneer posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30478008

Uber put in their "surge" pricing for $200 taxi rides in Sydney while people were trying to flee the scene of an armed standoff with the police.
According to Uber, the surge pricing happens automatically based on demand, and they refunded people once they were aware of what was happening.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
Uber Sydney tweeted "We are all concerned with events in CBD. Fares have increased to encourage more drivers to come online & pick up passengers in the area."

They only backtracked and offered free rides and refunds after everyone yelled at them.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

posh spaz posted:

Uber Sydney tweeted "We are all concerned with events in CBD. Fares have increased to encourage more drivers to come online & pick up passengers in the area."

They only backtracked and offered free rides and refunds after everyone yelled at them.

Goddamn I'm sick of this bitching and moaning about surge pricing. We're not talking about ambulance rides here (which, btw, can cost thousands of dollars in the states).

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Blackjack2000 posted:

Goddamn I'm sick of this bitching and moaning about surge pricing. We're not talking about ambulance rides here (which, btw, can cost thousands of dollars in the states).

Except bitching and moaning gets people free rides. Cool that you're sick of it though.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Blackjack2000 posted:

In context of like a big game on in the city creating an increase in demand, OK, but in a situation where people are being evacuated from the area because a gunman has taken hostages in a cafe, that's pretty loving scummy.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
Hotels could gouge their customers during expos or whatever, but they don't. Their charge varies with demand, but there is always a maximum they charge. Surge pricing pisses a lot of people off, and it may not be the best business practice in the long-run.

In the long-run Uber wants to have robot drivers anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Rudager posted:

In context of like a big game on in the city creating an increase in demand, OK, but in a situation where people are being evacuated from the area because a gunman has taken hostages in a cafe, that's pretty loving scummy.

You're acting like they're evacuating refugees. Please. Police set up a perimeter and get people a few blocks away and that's all that's really needed. And again, the whole point of surge pricing is to get more drivers out on the road to handle the demand. Based on what I've read on this thread, if I was an UberX driver I wouldn't even think of getting on the road until the surge pricing was at 2x.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Blackjack2000 posted:

You're acting like they're evacuating refugees. Please. Police set up a perimeter and get people a few blocks away and that's all that's really needed. And again, the whole point of surge pricing is to get more drivers out on the road to handle the demand. Based on what I've read on this thread, if I was an UberX driver I wouldn't even think of getting on the road until the surge pricing was at 2x.

And you don't see a problem with an industry driving wages down to the point that it's only worth it for their workers to actually work when they're doubling their price? That's a good sign that they're undercharging as a loss leader. Which I'd be fine with if the drives were paid hourly or salaried, but since it's a commission thing, they're just loving over the workers.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Blackjack2000 posted:

I'm not even going to go any further with the Sydney thing, because I'll just end up telling you to go gently caress yourself.

But you're second comment about not driving for them unless the surge pricing was 2x shows pretty clearly that their business model doesn't work. The fact they can't run the business in a way where they and their drivers can both profit, even while they're ignoring all regulations, should pretty well nail the point home that it's no good.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
All Uber did was intentionally increase fares due to demand. The demand was because "someone is literally murdering people", and they lied about why they were doing it, but is it EVIL to profit off of human death?

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Golden Bee posted:

All Uber did was intentionally increase fares due to demand. The demand was because "someone is literally murdering people", and they lied about why they were doing it, but is it EVIL to profit off of human death?

Increasing price on an inelastic commodity that people need for the purpose of getting more money is wrong. Period. I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was actually to get more cabs out and about, because then the price increase could actually increase the availability of the service. However, even if that was true, I'd be pissed about their business model: the fact that they would have to essentially bribe their cab drivers to work is not a sign of a successful business.

Now, I'll agree in this case that it's not that bad: there's no real evacuation, the commodity is necessary. But stuff like Halloween? That's blatant exploitation of drunk people who need a service, and have inelastic demand for it.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Karia posted:

Now, I'll agree in this case that it's not that bad: there's no real evacuation, the commodity is necessary.

gently caress all of you, there was literally a guy holding a gun to people's head in Sydney's CBD. The media was reporting bombs in the area too adding to the hysteria.

Just gently caress everyone who thinks it's OK to add surge pricing in situations like that, you cunts are loving scumbags who need to be loving shot.

I'll probably get banned for this post, but gently caress you cunts who think like that.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If they really cared about getting more drivers on the road during peak times and not just milking every buck out of the unsuspecting that they can, they would simply halve the commission that they take during peak times. Boom, the customers don't get pinched and the drivers see a sizeable uptick in their fare takeaways.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Rudager posted:

gently caress all of you, there was literally a guy holding a gun to people's head in Sydney's CBD. The media was reporting bombs in the area too adding to the hysteria.

Just gently caress everyone who thinks it's OK to add surge pricing in situations like that, you cunts are loving scumbags who need to be loving shot.

I'll probably get banned for this post, but gently caress you cunts who think like that.

No, you're right. Uber was the only possible way to get home, and everyone that didn't pay a million dollars to Uber got shot by the terrorists.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
What tard sees a terrorist attack happening and decides to call an Uber? Just run for it, doofus.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

MrKatharsis posted:

What tard sees a terrorist attack happening and decides to call an Uber? Just run for it, doofus.
Yeah, that idea reads pretty oddly to me too...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MrKatharsis posted:

That one lady from the video where cops are telling people to stay away from protests and she yells "BUT MY UBER!"?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

posh spaz posted:

Hotels could gouge their customers during expos or whatever, but they don't. Their charge varies with demand, but there is always a maximum they charge. Surge pricing pisses a lot of people off, and it may not be the best business practice in the long-run.

:lol: what?

At least in the Omaha area, when the annual Berkshire Hathaway meeting goes on, Hotel rooms go from ~150 a night to 450 a night.

How is that not gouging?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Look at the rates Vegas hotels charge. A room at the Bellagio will cost you $429 on a Saturday night and $79 on a Sunday night.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

posh spaz posted:

In the long-run Uber wants to have robot drivers anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

This isn't true at all. I used to work front desk for a hotel. Our normal rate during the week and weekend was around $80. When there was a special event in town, such as a Nascar race our rates went from $80/night to almost $4-500/night with a 3 night minimum and every hotel within a 25 or so mile radius did the same thing.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
Those hotels could charge $2k a night and get it, but they don't. I've read about people getting charged $1k for an über ride. That is gouging.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

posh spaz posted:

Those hotels could charge $2k a night and get it, but they don't. I've read about people getting charged $1k for an über ride. That is gouging.

Price elasticity of demand chart. If you're unfamiliar with this concept, this graph is showing unit price vs units sold. You'll notice that different prices and quantities lead to different totals (6 units * $0.50, 2.5 units * $7, etc), with a point that brings the most profit. There might be a little more to it, but it's a 101 business concept.

The point is the hotels are going to charge at exactly the point they think will make them the most money, as will Uber. These aren't vital government supported services. I can go sell popcorn on the side of the road for $1,200 a pop and it's the consumer's fault if they pay for it. I mean this as an aside from the Sydney thing; I think Uber should have capitalized on a goodwill opportunity and subsidized higher rates themselves.

E: and it's been a few years since I've had to study this, so feel free to correct me or expand on my answer if it's incorrect.
E2: This is just an example graph, for clarification. Different services and products will carry different slopes and line curvatures, as well as values obviously.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 17, 2014

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
There's a little reputation effect in play, as well. Yes if you show up and the entire city is sold out you could probably charge 2k and get a room because the guest traveled hours to get there, but you'd basically forever have no business afterwards due to it.

Don't quote that as some insane justification for hating variable pricing, because it's not. It's the logical evidence you have that the variable pricing ISN'T gouging, because Uber plans to exist tomorrow and would avoid a 1 time winfall that would scorch their future profits unless that 1 time winfall was massive (and this is no where near that size).

Seriously, variable pricing rocks and this was a great example of why it rocks. What sucks? Gas shortages for people evacuating from disasters due to not allowing surge pricing, or shortages from lack of supply when prices are fixed too high (the cab industry during off-peak hours).

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

posh spaz posted:

Those hotels could charge $2k a night and get it, but they don't.

No they couldn't.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I can't think of anyplace else to post this, but there's another sort of economy of crowdsourcing company out there right now that yins can use to make some money:

http://www.gocarry.it/trips/

You're out there taking plane trips anyway, why not use that time to haul a strangers' items across the globe!

Toni Jorge wants to pay you 50$ to take a toy from Portugal to France:

http://www.gocarry.it/ship/view/3716

The toy TOTALLY isn't a stuffed teddy bear filled with cocaine, we swear.

Here's E, who will pay you the princely sum of 3$ to take a pillow from New Jersey to New York:

http://www.gocarry.it/ship/view/3708

And here's an iPhone you can take from New York to Argentina that's probably not filled with state secrets:

http://www.gocarry.it/ship/view/3715

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

pathetic little tramp posted:

I can't think of anyplace else to post this, but there's another sort of economy of crowdsourcing company out there right now that yins can use to make some money:

That fits here nicely, and is similar to Uber because it's illegal in most jurisdictions to use as intended.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Gocarry.it sounds fantastic. Are you supposed to declare you're carrying those goods on a flight or not?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

SiGmA_X posted:

Gocarry.it sounds fantastic. Are you supposed to declare you're carrying those goods on a flight or not?

Easy, at customs just write down "I am carrying something but I do not know what it is, thanks, please let me into your country."

Countdown to "Here's the box, see look inside, there's a big screen TV, thanks for delivering this for me for pennies on the dollar, hey look over there" *replaces TV box with plastic explosives box*

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Knyteguy posted:

Price elasticity of demand chart. If you're unfamiliar with this concept, this graph is showing unit price vs units sold. You'll notice that different prices and quantities lead to different totals (6 units * $0.50, 2.5 units * $7, etc), with a point that brings the most profit. There might be a little more to it, but it's a 101 business concept.

I actually have an MBA - Finance, but thanks. I'm familiar with the concept. I disagree with your perception of the steepness and location of hotels on that curve. And it is curvilinear in this case, I don't think it's a straight line.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

posh spaz posted:

I actually have an MBA - Finance, but thanks. I'm familiar with the concept. I disagree with your perception of the steepness and location of hotels on that curve. And it is curvilinear in this case, I don't think it's a straight line.

I was simply trying to show an example of the concept. I don't think that hotels during expositions will carry that same curve/slope. That would take far more research.

Edit: but I edited my original post for clarification.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 17, 2014

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

posh spaz posted:

Curves change slope depending on time. You're arguing that it's inelastic due to a time limitation, which is inherently a fine claim (and true) but the falsely claiming that that in-elasticity is somehow exploitative.

A high short run price (and profit) signals to suppliers to enter a market, which is the sole goal of surge pricing. To get more drivers on the road in response to more passengers.

If there was ACTUALLY a necessary evacuation, surge pricing would be far superior to flat rate pricing in providing resources for people to leave, and in the long run surge pricing signals to people who are not Uber drivers to consider becoming Uber drivers to take advantage of it.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

posh spaz posted:

Hotels do gouge the gently caress out of their customers during expos or whatever. It's so much of a problem that most states passed laws saying that hotels have to post their maximum room rate somewhere in the room. If you go look, it'll be like $599 a night for a Super 8 in the middle of nowhere.

I won't even go into the fact that if a hotel is hosting a convention, and you happen to tell the hotel that you're there for convention (or book the room via the convention at the "convention discount" rate), they'll probably charge you more than they would if you just called up and asked for a room. Reason being that convention goers are less likely to shop around, so they can usually get away with charging a few bucks more.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Hotels can completely get away with it too. If you need a hotel by definition you don't live there. If you are going to a convention its not like you will ever visit that city again. Businesses that cater to locals can't screw you that bad usually, but who are you going to complain to if you are a tourist? That is why if a city needs to raise money the things they raise first are hotel taxes, rental car taxes and cab rides from the airport. Those people don't vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
I don't really want to argue semantics, but IMO a $1k uber ride on Halloween is gougier than a $500 hotel room during a convention.

• Locked thread