Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SiGmA_X posted:

I do not understand why Über doesn't buy something like a 100/300/100 policy for the drivers, and the 1MM CSL for when passengers are in the car...

Because commercial insurance is really expensive. Personal vehicles really aren't used all that much: people drive them somewhere, then park and do something. Commercial cars are used more or less continually while the operator is working, so they have a lot more chances to get into accidents. Plus, the operator of a commercial passenger vehicle is subject to pressures from their fares to do dangerous things. Would you normally do 15 over the speed of traffic in a rainstorm? What if you had somebody screaming at you to get to the airport right now, and if they miss their flight (that they're already running late for) they'll give you one star that could get you fired?

Uber's whole business model is based on shifting as much risk and expense as possible onto their pseudo-employees: capital costs like vehicle purchase, expenses like maintenance, and risks like breakdowns and accidents. A traditional taxi company will assume most of these (although they certainly have their own ways to screw over drivers, too). When you look at everything they do, Uber ends up seeming like some Marxist stereotype of a corporation designed to screw and exploit their employees as hard as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread