Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

TLG James posted:

I would say that's true about most human driven transportation. Especially truck drivers.

I dunno, even if they got to the point of being able t do that, one benefits to having a real person in a truck that would be hard to replicate is that if something breaks the driver can usually limp it home, or at least do some roadside repair to limp it home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Blackjack2000 posted:

Goddamn I'm sick of this bitching and moaning about surge pricing. We're not talking about ambulance rides here (which, btw, can cost thousands of dollars in the states).

In context of like a big game on in the city creating an increase in demand, OK, but in a situation where people are being evacuated from the area because a gunman has taken hostages in a cafe, that's pretty loving scummy.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Blackjack2000 posted:

You're acting like they're evacuating refugees. Please. Police set up a perimeter and get people a few blocks away and that's all that's really needed. And again, the whole point of surge pricing is to get more drivers out on the road to handle the demand. Based on what I've read on this thread, if I was an UberX driver I wouldn't even think of getting on the road until the surge pricing was at 2x.

I'm not even going to go any further with the Sydney thing, because I'll just end up telling you to go gently caress yourself.

But you're second comment about not driving for them unless the surge pricing was 2x shows pretty clearly that their business model doesn't work. The fact they can't run the business in a way where they and their drivers can both profit, even while they're ignoring all regulations, should pretty well nail the point home that it's no good.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Karia posted:

Now, I'll agree in this case that it's not that bad: there's no real evacuation, the commodity is necessary.

gently caress all of you, there was literally a guy holding a gun to people's head in Sydney's CBD. The media was reporting bombs in the area too adding to the hysteria.

Just gently caress everyone who thinks it's OK to add surge pricing in situations like that, you cunts are loving scumbags who need to be loving shot.

I'll probably get banned for this post, but gently caress you cunts who think like that.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

canyoneer posted:

And then you drive a gypsy taxi without commercial car insurance, and your insurance is going to tell you to jump off a bridge when you get in an accident.

Yeah, insurance is already a big problem with Uber, let alone making it even more complicated by renting the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Hingehead posted:

The idea is that once my friend buys a car soon in a few month from now, I'd rent the car from him for $300, assuming I'd make $1000 a week, with a net loss of $300. I don't plan on doing this for the rest of my life, it is something I am thinking of doing just to give me a boost so I can head in the right financial direction again. My friend however wants to do this for the rest of his life as a permanent career.

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

Seriously?

First, there's no guarantee you'll make $1000 a week, or even the $300 to pay rent on the car.

Secondly, if you have an accident in your friends car (that I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess won't have full commercial insurance that includes having any Joe Blow drive it), his insurance won't cover jack poo poo, Uber won't cover you for jack poo poo, and you'll most likely end up paying off his totaled car, and someone (or multiple peoples) medical expenses.

You're just setting yourself to get hosed over.

EDIT: If you do go ahead with it, make sure you gently caress over your friend and have the rental contract explicitly state that he pays for all repairs and maintenance, or that $1000 a week will disappear pretty quickly

Rudager fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 18, 2015

• Locked thread