Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Insurance goon chiming to say that any personal insurance coverage will absolutely NOT cover you in the event that you're transporting people for money in your vehicle. Also, if you're willing to put yourself out there for any kind of liability for ride sharing, and you keep bare minimum liability limits, you're wrong. You're transporting people you don't know and can be found responsible for their injuries if you are found to be at fault-even if they are in your car or otherwise. If you're going to be doing your own "business" it seems silly to barely protect yourself when you're not using the car for that business, especially since damaging the car and being out of commission for a while is worse than not simply being able to get to work that day.

If Uber isn't providing insurance for you to drive people around, you're taking on a HUGE risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

agarjogger posted:

I have excellent insurance with huge limits, but why even bother pointing that out if, as you say, it won't ever help me if I get in a wreck. The fact is Uber drivers have been in plenty of accidents on and off the clock, and almost all of their claims have gone through. Yes it sucks to be paying so much for a policy that could be so easily invalidated. Once I know I'll be making enough money to pay the premiums, I will look into commercial insurance. But I'm not even sure policies yet exist that could be sold to an Uber driver.

I understand completely the risk and the fact that this is a bad financial deal for the vast majority of drivers. But I have no skills, just an asset, and I need to be converting that asset to cash now to keep a roof over my head. You might, appropriately, advise me to sell the car and use the money to keep bills paid and go to trucking school. But I have a fun job and a sweet car, and it would be loving tough to give that up for something which is much worse everywhere but on a spreadsheet.

e: Honestly though, when I'm keeping the doors locked for a few extra seconds to make sure the passenger doesn't open one onto a bicycle. Yes I understand this is loving precarious, and I'm be totally happy to do this for five months, and then quit and be able to finish college on the income.
I understand this is the financial forum and I am making a bad financial move by driving for Uber, because of the liability. But every day I am gaining confidence and basic job competence, which I will use to finish college and/or acquire skills. I was honestly an e/n poster incapable of any of that before I started driving.

My point was that you should just get a commercial policy and not use a personal vehicle for business at all. You're paying for a personal policy and then need a commercial policy on the same car. You're double paying and taking a huge risk either way because all a company needs to say is "Nope, he was working on that accident" or "Nope, he wasn't working on that accident". Its a terrible idea to use a personal vehicle like that in such a large capacity.

I say have a higher personal limit because you're more likely to be in your car more than someone not doing this, so if you DO get in an accident you have far more to lose in a "personal" accident than anyone else using a car for strictly personal reasons. Basically by using the personal car for more than just personal things makes the risks for all things higher since an accident directly disrupts your business and directly translates to a higher risk for yourself and any company insuring you.

• Locked thread