Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

agarjogger posted:

Anybody still following this shitshow? UberX rates have been cut by 50% across the US board since a year ago. The job went from “vaguely worth the risk [?]” to “you have fallen victim to a pyramid scheme, can we offer you blankets and hot cocoa”. Veteran drivers report that their all-inclusive cost of driving is roughly a dollar a mile. Fares are now.. roughly a dollar a mile. Base is nothing, time is nothing. Uber’s take continues to creep upward from 20%-25% as investors begin to expect an $18B company to make money on a quarterly basis.

UberX just launched in Las Vegas. They have a law team on the ground to handle drivers’ $10,000 tickets, of which many have been given out in the first few days of operation.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/10/26/uber-philadelphia-uberx-ppa-sting-impounds/

UberX launched in Philadelphia, defying a direct order not to do so. Philadelphia Parking Authority, which is responsible for licensing taxis in the city, impounded 5 UberX cars and cited the drivers $1,000 apiece. Uber said they would cover the citations.

I did not know that rates had fallen even further. I was already on the fence about being a driver, leaning against it. No way I would do it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

posh spaz posted:

Uber Sydney tweeted "We are all concerned with events in CBD. Fares have increased to encourage more drivers to come online & pick up passengers in the area."

They only backtracked and offered free rides and refunds after everyone yelled at them.

Goddamn I'm sick of this bitching and moaning about surge pricing. We're not talking about ambulance rides here (which, btw, can cost thousands of dollars in the states).

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Rudager posted:

In context of like a big game on in the city creating an increase in demand, OK, but in a situation where people are being evacuated from the area because a gunman has taken hostages in a cafe, that's pretty loving scummy.

You're acting like they're evacuating refugees. Please. Police set up a perimeter and get people a few blocks away and that's all that's really needed. And again, the whole point of surge pricing is to get more drivers out on the road to handle the demand. Based on what I've read on this thread, if I was an UberX driver I wouldn't even think of getting on the road until the surge pricing was at 2x.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Rudager posted:

gently caress all of you, there was literally a guy holding a gun to people's head in Sydney's CBD. The media was reporting bombs in the area too adding to the hysteria.

Just gently caress everyone who thinks it's OK to add surge pricing in situations like that, you cunts are loving scumbags who need to be loving shot.

I'll probably get banned for this post, but gently caress you cunts who think like that.

No, you're right. Uber was the only possible way to get home, and everyone that didn't pay a million dollars to Uber got shot by the terrorists.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Ha, Uber would then throw away the key to its success: displacing the costs of purchasing/maintaining/gassing vehicles onto the drivers. Uber would have to own and maintain its own fleet, which would fundamentally alter the structure of the company. They would have to get at least some actual, real-life employees and infrastructure to refuel, house their fleet, etc.

To go from taking 20% of the fare to 100%? Or they could still have "drivers". They just don't drive, they own their cars, gas them up, and then unleash them onto the streets to earn uber fares. They take 50%, Uber takes 50%.

• Locked thread