Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Blackjack2000 posted:

You're acting like they're evacuating refugees. Please. Police set up a perimeter and get people a few blocks away and that's all that's really needed. And again, the whole point of surge pricing is to get more drivers out on the road to handle the demand. Based on what I've read on this thread, if I was an UberX driver I wouldn't even think of getting on the road until the surge pricing was at 2x.

And you don't see a problem with an industry driving wages down to the point that it's only worth it for their workers to actually work when they're doubling their price? That's a good sign that they're undercharging as a loss leader. Which I'd be fine with if the drives were paid hourly or salaried, but since it's a commission thing, they're just loving over the workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Golden Bee posted:

All Uber did was intentionally increase fares due to demand. The demand was because "someone is literally murdering people", and they lied about why they were doing it, but is it EVIL to profit off of human death?

Increasing price on an inelastic commodity that people need for the purpose of getting more money is wrong. Period. I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was actually to get more cabs out and about, because then the price increase could actually increase the availability of the service. However, even if that was true, I'd be pissed about their business model: the fact that they would have to essentially bribe their cab drivers to work is not a sign of a successful business.

Now, I'll agree in this case that it's not that bad: there's no real evacuation, the commodity is necessary. But stuff like Halloween? That's blatant exploitation of drunk people who need a service, and have inelastic demand for it.

• Locked thread