Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013
I live in NYC, down on my luck, broke as hell college student in dire need of a good job with good pays. My best friend have been doing Uber for several months now and all I hear from him are praises about the pay, getting paid $1000 and just over it per week. He rents a car from his friend. So I decided I wanted in on Uber to which my friend explained everything to me, but I want second opinions about Uber from you guys. Especially because I am broke as it is and I would hate to waste money on getting TLC license when I could possibly opt for better alternatives, but I am told to get TLC because working in New York City has a far better advantages than sitting my rear end down waiting for a customer coming out of Newark Airport in NJ and having to pay tolls out of my pockets, wasting gas.

Do I have a far better chance at working for uber because of the nature of New York City? Should I take this opportunity? What can you tell me about Uber?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

Zeta Taskforce posted:

To begin, $1000 per week isn't that much money. It might sound like it when you are broke, but it really isn't. I doubt your friend just did his taxes, completed his Schedule C, and realized he is making $1000/week profit. He is doing the worst kind of stop and go driving, hundreds of miles a week, idling for long periods of time,k paying hundreds of dollars on gas. He is grinding that car into the ground. Once you keep track of the miles I doubt your friend is showing much profit, which is good because he needs to pay self employment and income taxes on everything.

If you literally have nothing and want to roll the dice, there are worse things you can do. But even then like canyoneer said, you are taking on risks and sucking money out of your car. It needs to be short term while you keep looking for a job or more sustainable self employment ideas. It can't even be a mid-term thing while you are in school. Uber makes sense until you need a new transmission.

The idea is that once my friend buys a car soon in a few month from now, I'd rent the car from him for $300, assuming I'd make $1000 a week, with a net loss of $300. I don't plan on doing this for the rest of my life, it is something I am thinking of doing just to give me a boost so I can head in the right financial direction again. My friend however wants to do this for the rest of his life as a permanent career.

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

Is that thousand bucks a week before or after taxes?

I am not sure if he pays taxes, I am assuming he is, so before taxes. Then he loses $300 on renting the car from his friend.

• Locked thread