Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Hotels can completely get away with it too. If you need a hotel by definition you don't live there. If you are going to a convention its not like you will ever visit that city again. Businesses that cater to locals can't screw you that bad usually, but who are you going to complain to if you are a tourist? That is why if a city needs to raise money the things they raise first are hotel taxes, rental car taxes and cab rides from the airport. Those people don't vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

drat, who would have thought that charging astronomical sums for basic goods during disasters could actually improve the situation. The free market really thinks of everything! I initially thought that the promise of temporary greater profits would likely be unable to cure the limited and relatively inelastic nature of the local supplies during unpredictable events and would instead result only in a windfall for the few current holders of the goods, but hell, plucky entrepreneurs could assuredly figure something out for the right price. And if the poorer families can't afford the water, the market will probably sort that out appropriately as well.

I guess we are talking about how the free market deals with disaster pricing now, but if there is a shortage of bottled water after a storm someone is going without, no matter how you do it. You could fix the price and have panic buying and have the first 3 people buy everything at the normal price. You could say that no one is allowed to buy more than 4 bottles, in which case everyone will buy 4 bottles, even if they really only needed 2. Or you could make everyone wait in line for an hour, which favors those who don't have anything else to do. Or you let the market set the price for whatever it will bear. Maybe $20 for a gallon of water. No one is going to hoard water at that price, no one will stock up. Everyone will buy as little as possible, more people will get a drink, and other sellers will soon swarm the area smelling profit and drive the price back down. But if the price is fixed, no one has an incentive to deliver water and more people will go without for longer.

This isn't moral. It's not immoral, it's pretty much amoral.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Hingehead posted:

I live in NYC, down on my luck, broke as hell college student in dire need of a good job with good pays. My best friend have been doing Uber for several months now and all I hear from him are praises about the pay, getting paid $1000 and just over it per week. He rents a car from his friend. So I decided I wanted in on Uber to which my friend explained everything to me, but I want second opinions about Uber from you guys. Especially because I am broke as it is and I would hate to waste money on getting TLC license when I could possibly opt for better alternatives, but I am told to get TLC because working in New York City has a far better advantages than sitting my rear end down waiting for a customer coming out of Newark Airport in NJ and having to pay tolls out of my pockets, wasting gas.

Do I have a far better chance at working for uber because of the nature of New York City? Should I take this opportunity? What can you tell me about Uber?

To begin, $1000 per week isn't that much money. It might sound like it when you are broke, but it really isn't. I doubt your friend just did his taxes, completed his Schedule C, and realized he is making $1000/week profit. He is doing the worst kind of stop and go driving, hundreds of miles a week, idling for long periods of time,k paying hundreds of dollars on gas. He is grinding that car into the ground. Once you keep track of the miles I doubt your friend is showing much profit, which is good because he needs to pay self employment and income taxes on everything.

If you literally have nothing and want to roll the dice, there are worse things you can do. But even then like canyoneer said, you are taking on risks and sucking money out of your car. It needs to be short term while you keep looking for a job or more sustainable self employment ideas. It can't even be a mid-term thing while you are in school. Uber makes sense until you need a new transmission.

• Locked thread