Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It does seem odd that they're driving rates so low. Seems like they could end up with the dregs as drivers, which would push customers elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Rudager posted:

I dunno, even if they got to the point of being able t do that, one benefits to having a real person in a truck that would be hard to replicate is that if something breaks the driver can usually limp it home, or at least do some roadside repair to limp it home.
It'd be way cheaper to have everything automated by default and just dispatch a specialized repairperson to repair trucks in the case where they break down.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

canyoneer posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30478008

Uber put in their "surge" pricing for $200 taxi rides in Sydney while people were trying to flee the scene of an armed standoff with the police.
According to Uber, the surge pricing happens automatically based on demand, and they refunded people once they were aware of what was happening.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I am also thrilled with this, because I like not dying. The sooner we get rid of manually driven cars, the better.

Tautologicus posted:

But..everyone won't have a driverless car.
They will once it's illegal to drive your car manually! :v:

Here's how I think it'll go down. Self-driving cars, the kind that can go from point A to point B with no user intervention 99%+ of the time, will be just entering the mainstream on non-luxury car models. Someone's highly photogenic child will get run down by a driver who's drunk, or texting, or drunk texting. The kid's parents will get on national TV and tearfully lament that if only all cars were self-driving, little Sammy would still be alive. Cue a big national debate and a bill that mandates all cars be self-driving within 5 years, with subsidies to cover converting existing cars for poor people.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 6, 2015

• Locked thread