Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I do not understand why Über doesn't buy something like a 100/300/100 policy for the drivers, and the 1MM CSL for when passengers are in the car...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

agarjogger posted:

Yesterday I picked up three big guys. They had me stop at a wine store and wait five minutes, and then proceed to drop all three of them off in spread-out locations on the North Side. Traffic was heavy, trip was just over an hour.
$17.32.
If Uber is having reservations about covering their drivers adequately, this is why. Their pricing is stupidly and unnecessarily cheap, since they're playing games.
I can do lots of jobs for more than $10/hr in my pocket... That's pretty raw.

I also didn't realize it was so drat cheap. My city doesn't have Über.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

agarjogger posted:

Well to contrast, I just did two 45 min highway trips for a total of $110. So it seems like the rule to making money in Uber is, don't hit traffic ever. Seems like they favor mileage over time to an insane degree. If I can find a pattern which lets me repeat this: city to suburbs, suburbs to city, I could easily pay for my car by this time next year.

Jesus, my diesel car gets 45 mpg on the freeway and 20 in heavy city traffic. I'm definitely going to stat this out and see where I've gotta be and when, to get the high-mileage rides outside of rush hour.
What type of diesel gets that bad of city mileage?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

agarjogger posted:

I don't know though. If there were a clear way to graduate from this UberX poo poo into something safer, better, more stable. I'd do it in a heartbeat. This is the first job I'm genuinely good at, and it makes me feel awesome.
Get a CDL? Become a 'wheelman'?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

agarjogger posted:

I assumed a 19% income tax in that. Due to the way surge works, and the way people use cabs, a ten hour shift isn't really the way to do it. You go out to drive when people go out to do stuff.

Even if I were to somehow net minimum wage these next few months, it's still well worth it. It's getting me out of bed and on my feet and slowly lifting my horrible depression. Well worth the sucker's bet, at least to me. Obviously if I get T-boned and insurance says LMAO DENIED, I lost the game but still learned a ton about my city and its people.

How do you get 19%? SE is 15.3%... You think your fed and state tax rate is only a total of 3.7%?? I think you likely need to recalculate that.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

agarjogger posted:

Let me get back to you when I manage to find someone on the drivers' forum who can actually produce evidence of their effective tax owed and paid. There are some deductions against depreciation available to people using their cars for work. I still believe that in two or three cities, mine included, driving forty hour weeks and being very savvy about your pickup pattern can lead to an after-everything take-home of near $20/hr.

Says here that half of the S/E tax can be deducted from, and there is a $.56 per mile deduction. Which would appear to knock out half the self-employment tax.
Mileage and depreciation yes, unsure about the half of SE tho? Do you have a link?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
And if we're talking cabs or trucks, they're usually towed back to a repair shop anyway. Drivers do more damage than good. My friends family owns a multistate long haul company and they forbid their drivers from touching the mechanicals.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Fyi there are tons of driverless cars in beta on the road all over America today. They're pretty drat good.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

MrKatharsis posted:

What tard sees a terrorist attack happening and decides to call an Uber? Just run for it, doofus.
Yeah, that idea reads pretty oddly to me too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Gocarry.it sounds fantastic. Are you supposed to declare you're carrying those goods on a flight or not?

• Locked thread