Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Kind of "Celeb Scandal!" type of video, but it's goes into the flaws of Uber.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXt0lG3IRZQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SpelledBackwards posted:

I don't watch any of those shows... do they all gesture so much?

No idea hah - this was linked on Facebook. Uber is trying to penetrate our market locally and running into some issues, so there was some discussion about it.

One good thing they did was donate some thousands of dollars to our local food bank.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

posh spaz posted:

Those hotels could charge $2k a night and get it, but they don't. I've read about people getting charged $1k for an über ride. That is gouging.

Price elasticity of demand chart. If you're unfamiliar with this concept, this graph is showing unit price vs units sold. You'll notice that different prices and quantities lead to different totals (6 units * $0.50, 2.5 units * $7, etc), with a point that brings the most profit. There might be a little more to it, but it's a 101 business concept.

The point is the hotels are going to charge at exactly the point they think will make them the most money, as will Uber. These aren't vital government supported services. I can go sell popcorn on the side of the road for $1,200 a pop and it's the consumer's fault if they pay for it. I mean this as an aside from the Sydney thing; I think Uber should have capitalized on a goodwill opportunity and subsidized higher rates themselves.

E: and it's been a few years since I've had to study this, so feel free to correct me or expand on my answer if it's incorrect.
E2: This is just an example graph, for clarification. Different services and products will carry different slopes and line curvatures, as well as values obviously.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 17, 2014

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

posh spaz posted:

I actually have an MBA - Finance, but thanks. I'm familiar with the concept. I disagree with your perception of the steepness and location of hotels on that curve. And it is curvilinear in this case, I don't think it's a straight line.

I was simply trying to show an example of the concept. I don't think that hotels during expositions will carry that same curve/slope. That would take far more research.

Edit: but I edited my original post for clarification.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 17, 2014

• Locked thread