Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

fruition posted:

Going to be so hilarious when these companies "disrupt" themselves all the way to bankruptcy.

The founders may shed a tear or two while counting their millions before moving onto their next startup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30478008

Uber put in their "surge" pricing for $200 taxi rides in Sydney while people were trying to flee the scene of an armed standoff with the police.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

I can't think of anyplace else to post this, but there's another sort of economy of crowdsourcing company out there right now that yins can use to make some money:

That fits here nicely, and is similar to Uber because it's illegal in most jurisdictions to use as intended.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

An Uber driver in Boston was accused of kidnapping and raping a female passenger. Who could have ever foreseen this?!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Hingehead posted:

I live in NYC, down on my luck, broke as hell college student in dire need of a good job with good pays. My best friend have been doing Uber for several months now and all I hear from him are praises about the pay, getting paid $1000 and just over it per week. He rents a car from his friend. So I decided I wanted in on Uber to which my friend explained everything to me, but I want second opinions about Uber from you guys. Especially because I am broke as it is and I would hate to waste money on getting TLC license when I could possibly opt for better alternatives, but I am told to get TLC because working in New York City has a far better advantages than sitting my rear end down waiting for a customer coming out of Newark Airport in NJ and having to pay tolls out of my pockets, wasting gas.

Do I have a far better chance at working for uber because of the nature of New York City? Should I take this opportunity? What can you tell me about Uber?

Ever see the commercials on TV for reverse mortgages?
Reverse mortgages pay out the equity as cash to the owner over time, which eventually ends when the owner dies or runs out of equity. Converting the value of a fixed asset into cash.

Driving for Uber is like that, but for your car. You shred your car for some cash back. So "renting" a car from another friend sounds like a great deal, because the other friend is probably not renting it at anything close to a market rate.
And then you drive a gypsy taxi without commercial car insurance, and your insurance is going to tell you to jump off a bridge when you get in an accident.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Hingehead posted:

The idea is that once my friend buys a car soon in a few month from now, I'd rent the car from him for $300, assuming I'd make $1000 a week, with a net loss of $300. I don't plan on doing this for the rest of my life, it is something I am thinking of doing just to give me a boost so I can head in the right financial direction again. My friend however wants to do this for the rest of his life as a permanent career.

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

Your friend is hitching his wagon to the wrong company, one whose CEO went on record saying he's thrilled at the prospect of replacing all the Uber drivers with driverless cars

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Blackjack2000 posted:

To go from taking 20% of the fare to 100%? Or they could still have "drivers". They just don't drive, they own their cars, gas them up, and then unleash them onto the streets to earn uber fares. They take 50%, Uber takes 50%.

And it pushes all the expensive maintenance and risk onto the "drivers", which sounds like the Uber way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Binge posted:

I signed up with Lyft to be a driver in my city, and as I was getting to the "Meet your mentor" phase, my city shut the service down. That was August 1st, 2014. I spoke with the mentor person on the phone, and she said she was told it would only take 2 weeks for them to resolve it. It's now January, and not a single news article or mention of it ever coming back.

Are they giving up on the legal battles? I still got emails for a few months telling me to complete my application. Thanks automated system for rubbing it in.

Did you already have commercial vehicle insurance?
If not, this is a good thing that has happened in your life.

• Locked thread