Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Common Core in of itself isn't bad, but like many have said... implementation is the issue. And the implementation is complete poo poo.

The standards are great when you are dealing with a class of upper middle class white kids with IQs straddling the mean that all come from 2 parent households. poo poo falls apart when wrenches get thrown into the works.

For example, special education, speech pathology, and psychology all have to tailor their teaching/therapy to common core standards as well. They must show substantial progress month after month with common core goals. Again, nothing wrong with data collection and analysis, but it becomes pretty pointless with so many confounds. It becomes a real pain in the rear end trying to get a 7th grader with Downs Syndrome to meet a 7th grade goal when they have the mental capacity of a 1st grader. Or, trying to get Benardo to show progress towards his behavior goal when dad got shipped back to Mexico, mom is never home, and older sister is mainlining heroin.

And... if you are not demonstrating progress, then obviously something is wrong with YOU and YOU need to be fired. I've literally seen a speech pathologist fudge data and convince herself little Jimmy is doing so much better this week compared to last week just from fear of "Not making progress/getting fired".

I've seen the same thing in the private sector with retail. Corporate releases a new "performance metric", and the moment someone finds a way to exploit it, it is exploited to the maximum capacity out of fear. Honesty will just lead to getting yourself fired. Dishonesty means you keep your job.

You would think Special Ed Teachers/Speech Paths/Psychs who all require a Masters or Ph.D to teach/practice would have supreme integrity in data collection and metric reporting, but no. They are people too that don't want to be kicked to the street for not meeting a bullshit metric they have no control over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

You know primes. Sometimes primes come in pairs only two apart, like 11 and 13, or 29 and 31. It's been proven that there are an infinite number of such "twin prime" pairs. But what about primes appearing three apart? Or four apart? Some number n apart? Are there an infinite number of "n prime" pairs for any n? If not, which n's?

There is only one pair of primes appearing three apart.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
For all the reasons already brought up; closed class rooms, teaching to the test, and assessing teachers based on student test results, I think there is a growing movement to assess teachers separately to the Common Core.

I've only been exposed to CLASS. Which uses a trained observer and videotaping of lessons to collect data and prompt self-reflection on teaching methods.

According to my teacher friends, it can be stressful knowing that someone is watching you teach and then slightly embarrassing watching the tapes back and seeing clearly the moments that you could handle better.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The problem with teacher assessment isn't the standards or methodology, it's the actions taken based on the results of the assessments. The dominant forces in school reform policy right now don't want to assess teachers in order to help them improve, they want to assess teachers so that they can fire a bunch of "bad teachers". It's not too much different from how No Child Left Behind addresses failing schools by cutting their funding and then firing all the staff. As long as reform policy is centered around punishment rather than helping to improve, teachers are going to resist teacher assessment to their dying breath, because it's being pushed in order to hurt them rather than help them.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem with teacher assessment isn't the standards or methodology, it's the actions taken based on the results of the assessments. The dominant forces in school reform policy right now don't want to assess teachers in order to help them improve, they want to assess teachers so that they can fire a bunch of "bad teachers". It's not too much different from how No Child Left Behind addresses failing schools by cutting their funding and then firing all the staff. As long as reform policy is centered around punishment rather than helping to improve, teachers are going to resist teacher assessment to their dying breath, because it's being pushed in order to hurt them rather than help them.

Are you implying that replacing teachers with fresh-out-of-college grads won't magic fully formed good teachers into existence, comrade?

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

I think the narrative lot union-busting/teacher resentment/etc. is implicitly tied to the idea that the profession of teaching (or medicine or the academy or whatever) has some intrinsic value. But does it? Do teachers really "know what's best for their classroom"?

Pro-teacher (and pro-physician) arguments seem to be that "it's not their job" to deal with social problems or "it's not their fault" that their students/patients are more disadvantaged than others. Maybe so, but if we have this population of beneficiaries that needs to be catered to in new ways, why are the professional concerns of teachers/doctors/professors/etc. always paramount? In short, why do we care about professional autonomy so much?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Lightanchor posted:

There is only one pair of primes appearing three apart.

You are correct, I should have revised that to primes some 2n apart.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Slobjob Zizek posted:

I think the narrative lot union-busting/teacher resentment/etc. is implicitly tied to the idea that the profession of teaching (or medicine or the academy or whatever) has some intrinsic value. But does it? Do teachers really "know what's best for their classroom"?

Pro-teacher (and pro-physician) arguments seem to be that "it's not their job" to deal with social problems or "it's not their fault" that their students/patients are more disadvantaged than others. Maybe so, but if we have this population of beneficiaries that needs to be catered to in new ways, why are the professional concerns of teachers/doctors/professors/etc. always paramount? In short, why do we care about professional autonomy so much?

No one argues that it's not their job, they correctly argue that it is not possible for their job alone to make up the difference, not even close. Your post will sound absolutely absurd to anyone who actually works in schools with these populations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Probably because professional autonomy is a completely separate than much broader social ills that honestly need to be handled at the political level. It doesn't help that the political class seems to be ignoring social ills while reducing autonomy...most likely for ideological reasons.

If anything reducing teacher autonomy is most likely going to make those ills worse because the current ideological underpinning of most of the reforms is very damaging and teachers have no ability to resist whatever new scheme is cooked up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Main Paineframe posted:

The thing that no one wants to address (probably because it will cost a lot of money to fix) is that education, at all levels, is a function that can't deal with lovely inputs. All the top-rated universities only produce such good output because they only accept the best input. During my academic career, I attended a very highly-rated university and a much more middling university (according to rankings); what I found was that the "middling" university had equal or better instructional quality across the board (though there were one or two really awesome profs at the top-rated university who were heads and shoulders above the rest; knowing what I know now, it was sheer luck that I got them and not some other humps), and they really did try harder. The reason their ratings suffered was only due to the fact that they were less selective with incoming students, because, in most other respects, the actual instruction was far superior, as was the course selection.

Now, obviously, this applies to universities, where all the applicants have already been more or less vetted for quality; now, think about the differences one might see between public school in North America or around the world. To measure output with no reference to input is so monumentally ignorant that it boggles the mind as to how any sane, educated person could think it's a good metric. Either we need to figure out how to measure actual teaching ability without regard to the quality of the "raw materials" (sorry if that's an insensitive metaphor), or we need to give up on the concept altogether. Nothing good can come from measuring educational achievement alone.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

PT6A posted:

Either we need to figure out how to measure actual teaching ability without regard to the quality of the "raw materials" (sorry if that's an insensitive metaphor), or we need to give up on the concept altogether.

Or do like the guy who developed EVAAS did and just pretend it doesn't exist.:v:

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Nice post. I think that content knowledge is a real problem that people like to push aside because it's so hard to bring up to teachers. No one wants to tell someone who's been teaching for 30 years that they need to work on content knowledge because it sounds like you're saying that they don't know fractions. But still there's a difference between knowing fractions and really mastering them. There's one guy at Berkeley who wrote a 100 page text just on fractions in all their incarnations. Similarly, in college many education majors do not want to take content knowledge courses. The best books for teacher training are the ones that sneak in content knowledge under the umbrella of manipulative training like Beckmann's book.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I just graduated with a degree in elementary ed. It's really hard to implement new CC standards and "You, yall, we" that colleges are teaching now when,in a actual classroom, every school just insists on hammering in I, we, you techniques. Like I tried my first couple days of student teaching to have an interactive classroom and was promplty informed (by the new Master TAP teacher) that it's I, We, You and if a student is talking while you are it's a failed class. So don't blame how colleges are teaching. Blame k-12 schools who tell you to be good at CC but then force you to operate under old standards.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Can you explain how firing experienced teachers and replacing them with poorly-trained fresh-faced interns will somehow fix social issues or improve the lot of students? I'm not saying that teachers "know what's best for the classroom"; after all, the original topic of this thread was largely about how teachers are failing to properly adapt to new teaching styles thought to be more effective. I'm saying that rather than addressing those problems and helping teachers to improve their teaching style and fix their problems, most "reform" attempts primarily concern themselves with firing and replacing teachers every year till test scores go up. In addition to completely ignoring the non-teacher-related factors in education and being unlikely to actually have a positive impact on teaching quality, it turns teachers into a reactionary group by teaching them that "education reform" is just a code-word for "screwing over teachers".

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

Skeesix posted:

Nice post. I think that content knowledge is a real problem that people like to push aside because it's so hard to bring up to teachers. No one wants to tell someone who's been teaching for 30 years that they need to work on content knowledge because it sounds like you're saying that they don't know fractions. But still there's a difference between knowing fractions and really mastering them. There's one guy at Berkeley who wrote a 100 page text just on fractions in all their incarnations. Similarly, in college many education majors do not want to take content knowledge courses. The best books for teacher training are the ones that sneak in content knowledge under the umbrella of manipulative training like Beckmann's book.

I would say, based on post-test hallway discussion, a solid half to two-thirds of my elementary math content class struggled to maintain the C-average necessary to stay in the program. Everyone says "It's just elementary math," but actually understanding it and being able to explain it to children is harder than it sounds. Hell, I didn't really understand why you cross-multiplied to divide fractions until I took the course because it didn't stick in fourth grade. I knew you had to do it, but I didn't know why and it led to a lot of stupid fractions mistakes later on. There's no way I could have effectively taught the concept to students if I hadn't learned it myself, and a lot of my classmates didn't pick it up because they just "aren't a math person" and blamed the professor for making them feel stupid.

It's a difficult problem to solve because the common attitude was "I'm going to pass the course/certification and then teach the way I learned it because that makes sense to me," even though clearly it doesn't make enough sense to translate into solving word- or multi-step problems.

Education classes can be really frustrating.

Avalanche posted:

Common Core in of itself isn't bad, but like many have said... implementation is the issue. And the implementation is complete poo poo.

The standards are great when you are dealing with a class of upper middle class white kids with IQs straddling the mean that all come from 2 parent households. poo poo falls apart when wrenches get thrown into the works.

For example, special education, speech pathology, and psychology all have to tailor their teaching/therapy to common core standards as well. They must show substantial progress month after month with common core goals. Again, nothing wrong with data collection and analysis, but it becomes pretty pointless with so many confounds. It becomes a real pain in the rear end trying to get a 7th grader with Downs Syndrome to meet a 7th grade goal when they have the mental capacity of a 1st grader. Or, trying to get Benardo to show progress towards his behavior goal when dad got shipped back to Mexico, mom is never home, and older sister is mainlining heroin.

And... if you are not demonstrating progress, then obviously something is wrong with YOU and YOU need to be fired. I've literally seen a speech pathologist fudge data and convince herself little Jimmy is doing so much better this week compared to last week just from fear of "Not making progress/getting fired".

I've seen the same thing in the private sector with retail. Corporate releases a new "performance metric", and the moment someone finds a way to exploit it, it is exploited to the maximum capacity out of fear. Honesty will just lead to getting yourself fired. Dishonesty means you keep your job.

You would think Special Ed Teachers/Speech Paths/Psychs who all require a Masters or Ph.D to teach/practice would have supreme integrity in data collection and metric reporting, but no. They are people too that don't want to be kicked to the street for not meeting a bullshit metric they have no control over.

The expectations placed on special ed. by NCLB are probably the worst part of the entire law and nobody's in any hurry to fix it because "we need to have high expectations for all students." Data collection and analysis are wonderful, but turning them into a bar for teacher evaluation makes the data a punishment rather than a tool.

In regards to implementation, I guess I'm arguing over semantics. I see the fight for teacher evaluation/charter schools/union-busting as existing prior to and in spite of Common Core. I worry that, by lumping all of it under one umbrella, people in power will jettison the easy part - the standards themselves - and leave the actually bad things, like Louisiana has. I think we all agree that the implementation has been really lovely, though, and that drags the entire enterprise down.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Asiina posted:

Oh man, I'm so excited that people are talking about math education. I'm a researcher in math education!

[amazing post]

drat, do you have a blog or something? I would love to link and share that with my non-forum-reading friends.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Relevant to this discussion: the American Statistical Association published a statement on the use of value-added models (what most people are talking about when they say "test scores") as a tool for teacher evaluation.

quote:

Many states and school districts have adopted Value-Added Models (VAMs) as part of educational accountability systems. The goal of these models, which are also referred to as Value-Added Assessment (VAA) Models, is to estimate effects of individual teachers or schools on student achievement while accounting for differences in student background. VAMs are increasingly promoted or mandated as a component in high-stakes decisions such as determining compensation, evaluating and ranking teachers, hiring or dismissing teachers, awarding tenure, and closing schools.

The American Statistical Association (ASA) makes the following recommendations regarding the use of VAMs:

• The ASA endorses wise use of data, statistical models, and designed experiments for improving the quality of education.

• VAMs are complex statistical models, and high-level statistical expertise is needed to develop the models and interpret their results.

• Estimates from VAMs should always be accompanied by measures of precision and a discussion of the assumptions and possible limitations of the model. These limitations are particularly relevant if VAMs are used for high-stakes purposes.
  • VAMs are generally based on standardized test scores, and do not directly measure potential teacher contributions toward other student
    outcomes.
  • VAMs typically measure correlation, not causation: Effects – positive or negative – attributed to a teacher may actually be caused by other
    factors that are not captured in the model.
  • Under some conditions, VAM scores and rankings can change substantially when a different model or test is used, and a thorough analysis
    should be undertaken to evaluate the sensitivity of estimates to different models.

• VAMs should be viewed within the context of quality improvement, which distinguishes aspects of quality that can be attributed to the system from those that can be attributed to individual teachers, teacher preparation programs, or schools. Most VAM studies find that teachers account for about 1% to 14% of the variability in test scores, and that the majority of opportunities for quality improvement are found in the system-level
conditions. Ranking teachers by their VAM scores can have unintended consequences that reduce quality.

As the largest organization in the United States representing statisticians and related professionals, the American Statistical Association (ASA) is making this statement to provide guidance, given current knowledge and experience, as to what can and cannot reasonably be expected from the use of VAMs. This statement focuses on the use of VAMs for assessing teachers’ performance but the issues discussed here also apply to their use for school or principal accountability. The statement is not intended to be prescriptive. Rather, it is intended to enhance general understanding of the strengths and limitations of the results generated by VAMs and thereby encourage the informed use of these results.

Value-Added Models and Their Interpretation
In recent years test-based accountability for schools and educators has become a prominent feature of the education landscape. In particular, the use of sophisticated statistical methods to create performance measures from student achievement data, often through VAMs, has become more prevalent. VAMs attempt to predict the “value” a teacher would add to student achievement growth, as measured by standardized test scores, if each teacher taught comparable students under the same conditions. VAM results are often regarded as more objective or authoritative than other types of information because they are based on student outcomes, use quantitative complex models, and rely on standardized test scores and common procedures for all teachers or schools.

This statement by the American Statistical Association provides guidance as to what can and cannot be reasonably expected, given current knowledge and experience, from use of VAMs. It is intended to enhance general understanding of the strengths and limitations of the results generated by VAMs and thereby encourage the informed use of these results. It is not meant to be prescriptive or advocate any particular VAM specification or promote or condemn specific uses of VAM.

Value-added models typically use a form of regression model predicting student scores or growth on standardized tests from background variables (including prior test scores), with terms in the model for the teachers who have taught the student. The model coefficients for the teachers are used to calculate their VAM scores. In related models known as “growth models” a regression model is fit to predict students’ current test scores from previous test scores. A percentile is calculated for each student from the model, relating his or her growth to the growth of other students with similar previous test scores. The median or average of the percentiles of a teacher’s students is then used to calculate the teacher’s VAM score. The statistical issues underlying the use of these various types of models are similar, and in this statement, the term “VAM” is used to describe both traditional value-added models and growth models. In both types of models, if a teacher’s students have high achievement growth relative to other students with similar prior achievement, then the teacher will have a high VAM score. Some VAMs also include other background variables for the students.

There are a number of key questions states and districts should address regarding the use of any type of VAM. VAMs are being used for the evaluation of individual teachers on the basis of claims that they can measure those teachers’ effects on student achievement growth. These questions are concerned with how well VAMs measure these effects and how the results should be interpreted.

• The measure of student achievement is typically a score on a standardized test, and VAMs are only as good as the data fed into them. Ideally, tests should fully measure student achievement with respect to the curriculum objectives and content standards adopted by the state, in both breadth and depth. In practice, no test meets this stringent standard, and it needs to be recognized that, at best, most VAMs predict only performance on the test and not necessarily long-range learning outcomes. Other student outcomes are predicted only to the extent that they are correlated with test scores. A teacher’s efforts to encourage students’ creativity or help colleagues improve their instruction, for example, are not explicitly recognized in VAMs.

VAM scores are calculated from classroom-level heterogeneity that is not explained by the background variables in the regression model. Those classroom-level differences may be due in part to other factors that are not included in the model (for example, class size, teaching “high-need” students, or having students who receive extracurricular tutoring). The validity of the VAM scores as a measure of teacher contributions depends on how well the particular regression model adopted adjusts for other factors that might systematically affect, or bias, a teacher’s VAM score.

The form of the model may lead to biased VAM scores for some teachers. For example, “gifted” students or those with disabilities may exhibit smaller gains in test scores if the model does not accurately account for their status.

• VAM scores are calculated using a statistical model, and all estimates have standard errors. VAM scores should always be reported with associated measures of their precision, as well as discussion of possible sources of biases.

VAMs are complicated statistical models, and they require high levels of statistical expertise. Sound statistical practices need to be used when developing and interpreting them, especially when they are part of a high-stakes accountability system. These practices include evaluating model assumptions, checking how well the model fits the data, investigating sensitivity of estimates to aspects of the model, reporting measures of estimated precision such as confidence intervals or standard errors, and assessing the usefulness of the models for answering the desired questions about teacher effectiveness and how to improve the educational system.

Quality Improvement and Value-Added Models
Statistical science has a rich and continuing history of successful contributions to quality improvement undertakings. While the methods and approaches vary, consensus exists that:

1. The quality improvement process should be monitored and informed using relevant quantitative information;
2. Almost all systems of measurement contain random variation;
3. Attaching too much importance to a single item of quantitative information is counterproductive — in fact, it can be detrimental to the goal of improving quality. In particular, making changes in response to aspects of quantitative information that are actually random variation can increase the overall variability of the system.

When used appropriately, VAMs may provide quantitative information that is relevant for improving education processes. For example, the models can provide information on important sources of variability, and they can allow teachers and schools to see how their students have performed on the assessment instruments relative to students with similar prior test scores. Teachers and schools can then explore targeted new teaching techniques or professional development activities, while building on their strengths.

Using VAM scores to improve education requires that they provide meaningful information about a teacher’s ability to promote student learning. For instance, VAM scores should predict how teachers’ students will progress in later grades and how their future students will fare under their tutelage. Various studies have demonstrated positive correlations between teachers’ VAM scores and their students’ future academic performance and other long term outcomes. In a limited number of studies, teachers have been randomly assigned to classes within schools, thus reducing systematic effects that might arise because of assignment of students to teachers. These studies indicate that the VAM score of a teacher in the year before randomization is positively correlated with the test score gains of the teacher’s students in the year after randomization, but the correlations are generally less than 0.5. Also, studies have shown that teachers’ VAM scores in one year predict their scores in later years.

These studies, however, have taken place in districts in which VAMs are used for low-stakes purposes. The models fit under these circumstances do not necessarily predict the relationship between VAM scores and student test score gains that would result if VAMs were implemented for high-stakes purposes such as awarding tenure, making salary decisions, or dismissing teachers.

The quality of education is not one event but a system of many interacting components. The impact of high-stakes uses of VAMs on the education system depends not only on the statistical properties of the VAM results but on their deployment in the system, especially with regard to how various types of evidence contribute to an overall evaluation and to consequences for teachers.

It is unknown how full implementation of an accountability system incorporating test-based indicators, such as those derived from VAMs, will affect the actions and dispositions of teachers, principals and other educators. Perceptions of transparency, fairness and credibility will be crucial in determining the degree of success of the system as a whole in achieving its goals of improving the quality of teaching. Given the unpredictability of such complex interacting forces, it is difficult to anticipate how the education system as a whole will be affected and how the educator labor market will respond. We know from experience with other quality improvement undertakings that changes in evaluation strategy have unintended consequences. A decision to use VAMs for teacher evaluations might change the way the tests are viewed and lead to changes in the school environment. For example, more classroom time might be spent on test preparation and on specific content from the test at the exclusion of content that may lead to better long-term learning gains or motivation for students. Certain schools may be hard to staff if there is a perception that it is harder for teachers to achieve good VAM scores when working in them. Overreliance on VAM scores may foster a competitive environment, discouraging collaboration and efforts to improve the educational system as a whole.

Research on VAMs has been fairly consistent that aspects of educational effectiveness that are measurable and within teacher control represent a small part of the total variation in student test scores or growth; most estimates in the literature attribute between 1% and 14% of the total
variability to teachers. This is not saying that teachers have little effect on students, but that variation among teachers accounts for a small part of the variation in scores. The majority of the variation in test scores is attributable to factors outside of the teacher’s control such as student and family background, poverty, curriculum, and unmeasured influences.

The VAM scores themselves have large standard errors, even when calculated using several years of data. These large standard errors make rankings unstable, even under the best scenarios for modeling. Combining VAMs across multiple years decreases the standard error of VAM scores. Multiple years of data, however, do not help problems caused when a model systematically undervalues teachers who work in specific contexts or with specific types of students, since that systematic undervaluation would be present in every year of data. A VAM score may provide teachers and administrators with information on their students’ performance and identify areas where improvement is needed, but it does not provide information on how to improve the teaching. The models, however, may be used to evaluate effects of policies or teacher training programs by comparing the average VAM scores of teachers from different programs. In these uses, the VAM scores partially adjust for the differing backgrounds of the students, and averaging the results over different teachers improves the stability of the estimates.

Statistical science has an important role to play in raising the quality of education, through developing and refining statistical models for use in education, providing guidance on designing experiments and interpreting statistical results, and applying quality and process improvement expertise to help guide judgments in the presence of uncertainty. The ASA promotes sound use of statistical methodology for improving education.

https://www.amstat.org/policy/pdfs/ASA_VAM_Statement.pdf

wallawallawingwang
Mar 8, 2007
I don't actually think many teachers would turn their noses up at a genuine opportunity to improve their craft. But there are substantial practical barriers to teacher training. One is cost. The other is time. Training, review, self reflection, and rewriting ineffective lesson plans all take time. Potentially a lot of time. Most American teachers are already working ten hour days. To do it over the summer wouldn't be as effective and once again would cost money districts don't have. But convincing the public and policy makers that schools could improve if teachers spent less time with students seems like a hard sell.

quote:

VAMs are generally based on standardized test scores, and do not directly measure potential teacher contributions toward other student outcomes.
This right here is hugely important. The purpose of education is to turn children into functional adults. That's not always a quantitative, testable process. By attaching high stakes to a small slice of the English and Math, and no stakes to much of anything else, the government creates some perverse incentives. My wife used to teach elementary music. One of the student's moms thanked her one day because her daughter wanted to listen to the classical station instead of the terrible top 40 pop station after the class had finished a unit on classical. That child got something of value from my wife's class. It wasn't the sort of thing that McGraw-Hill or Pearson could test for (and make a healthy profit), but that doesn't make it valueless.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Can you explain how firing experienced teachers and replacing them with poorly-trained fresh-faced interns will somehow fix social issues or improve the lot of students? I'm not saying that teachers "know what's best for the classroom"; after all, the original topic of this thread was largely about how teachers are failing to properly adapt to new teaching styles thought to be more effective. I'm saying that rather than addressing those problems and helping teachers to improve their teaching style and fix their problems, most "reform" attempts primarily concern themselves with firing and replacing teachers every year till test scores go up. In addition to completely ignoring the non-teacher-related factors in education and being unlikely to actually have a positive impact on teaching quality, it turns teachers into a reactionary group by teaching them that "education reform" is just a code-word for "screwing over teachers".

Okay, without going down the rabbit holes of postmodernism (e.g. measurement of social benefits is impossible, cost-benefit analysis is evil, etc.) or statism (e.g. the state should just expand it's powers to fix any social problem it encounters), I'll try to summarize the situation.

The US federal government is currently budget-constrained, and has been so for a while (the idea of a balanced budget was important since at least the mid-80s. During that same period, many of our social services (healthcare, education, prisons, etc.) have been getting shittier. If the federal government had directly control over employees for these services, it could just fire them or raise standards if needed. But it doesn't.

The federal government transfers money to the states, but it's powers are greatly constrained by (1) federalism, and (2) in the case of many social services, professionalism. First, federalism: the federal government has very limited powers over state departments of education, school districts, schools, etc. All it can do is threaten these entities with money to force them to adopt whatever standards it thinks are currently the best. And here's where testing comes in -- federal officials do not run schools, so they have to force schools to produce some metric that shows they are performing well. The most common metric is test scores, which everyone hates. But what else could the feds do? More subjective metrics would be very difficult to implement (send inspectors to every school?) or very prone to falsification (have students rate their teachers?). So, so long as we have a federal system where money is transferred from the federal government to state and local entities in a constrained fiscal environment, we will have performance measurement.

Next, we have the issue of professionalism. Teachers are direct employees of districts, but they are unionized and individual districts cannot force them to teach a certain way. They are not like employees of a retail business; the line of authority is much more diffuse. Okay, great, teachers have academic freedom, tenure, etc. That's great for them. Maybe great for students, but only if the teacher's freedom leads him or her to teach better than the standards. If not, then the freedom is a net negative for students. Again, the federal government cannot do anything about this anyway, it can only effect teachers through several layers of management by holding funding hostage at the school-, district-, and state-level.

How would you run things differently, given these constraints? It would be as if you ran Subway at the corporate-level and franchisees were free to use your branding and products, but turn down certain directives as they saw fit. Obviously, this would lead to some Subway locations being shittier than others, and the brand might sag as a whole. Maybe great for certain franchisees, but not for the whole company. Same thing happens with US education as a whole and the individual schools that is composed of.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Slobjob Zizek posted:

The US federal government is currently budget-constrained, and has been so for a while (the idea of a balanced budget was important since at least the mid-80s. During that same period, many of our social services (healthcare, education, prisons, etc.) have been getting shittier.

The mantra of balanced budgets (however much lip-service it's usually been) actually goes back to at least the early 70s.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Balanced budgets have been important to conservatives since the time money was first invented, anytime someone wanted to spend some to try something new.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Slobjob Zizek posted:

How would you run things differently, given these constraints? It would be as if you ran Subway at the corporate-level and franchisees were free to use your branding and products, but turn down certain directives as they saw fit. Obviously, this would lead to some Subway locations being shittier than others, and the brand might sag as a whole. Maybe great for certain franchisees, but not for the whole company. Same thing happens with US education as a whole and the individual schools that is composed of.

This analogy is totally useless. Subway franchises are not akin to schools with student populations of wide socioeconomic variances. Sadly, one can predict academic "outcomes" of a school quite accurately depending on the socioeconomic make up of the students, regardless of what half-cooked reform policies a school has or hasn't chosen to employ. Students who live in violent inner city communities within large metropolitan areas (Chicago, LA, DC, SF) are literally suffering from PTSD - it doesn't require a leap of faith to reason that this has a direct affect on a young person's brain chemistry and brain development and her ability to learn. This isn't postmodern posturing - it's actually being studied by the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/acestudy.

I'm extremely skeptical about how market driven reform solutions or directives can really help these students - unless these magic market solutions can roll back deep economic inequality, reduce gun violence in inner cities and provide social workers/therapists for these kids and their families.

mA fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 30, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

No one would have heard about this program if they named it the %State_Name% State Curriculum Program or whatever. No one would get frothy mouthed about the Iowa State Curriculum Program but "common" and "core" are both scary words. The name doomed them, I'm serious.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

No one would have heard about this program if they named it the %State_Name% State Curriculum Program or whatever. No one would get frothy mouthed about the Iowa State Curriculum Program but "common" and "core" are both scary words. The name doomed them, I'm serious.

What an asinine argument. "Common core" is two words about as innocuous as you can get. They're downright wholesome.

Now, calling something the "state curriculum", what are you some kind of Soviet communist who wants the state to dictate what schools teach?

The point is, the problems arising from common core are complicated and systematic, and you'd have frothy mouthed detractors no matter what you called it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slobjob Zizek posted:

How about increasing the amount of federally-provided mandatory training to go along with the new curriculums being sent out? Regardless of which Subway location you work at, Subway requires all newly-hired franchise employees to go through a corporate-run online training program. Subway employees are also required to follow certain procedures and policies, and inspectors from both Subway corporate and the government are regularly sent to Subway locations to ensure that employees are following government rules and Subway policies, ranging from "wash your hands after you take out the trash" to "put the right amounts of food on people's sandwiches and follow the corporate recipes". It's not at all difficult for a centralized authority to influence semi-autonomous locations not under their direct control.

Slobjob Zizek
Jun 20, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

How about increasing the amount of federally-provided mandatory training to go along with the new curriculums being sent out? Regardless of which Subway location you work at, Subway requires all newly-hired franchise employees to go through a corporate-run online training program. Subway employees are also required to follow certain procedures and policies, and inspectors from both Subway corporate and the government are regularly sent to Subway locations to ensure that employees are following government rules and Subway policies, ranging from "wash your hands after you take out the trash" to "put the right amounts of food on people's sandwiches and follow the corporate recipes". It's not at all difficult for a centralized authority to influence semi-autonomous locations not under their direct control.

I think the issue here is that the federal government has no legal way to regulate teachers. It can force institutions that accept federal money to institute new curriculum/rules, but teachers are licensed by each individual state.

I don't know as much about education as I do about healthcare, but I do know that the federal government has a ton of opportunity to regulate doctors and hospitals because it runs the largest insurer, Medicare. The government can just add pile on regulations to docs/hospitals as a condition of Medicare participation.

In terms of education, I'm pretty sure the feds would have to blackmail all the states like it did with the drinking age or speed limits.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I teach and I'll say that educational issues are always money issues. You have to pay people to produce more because teaching is a time intensive area. There is literally no way I can reflect on my practice, revise lessons, implement interventions, collaborate in a PLC, stay on top of my content, and etc in the regular working hours. But at the same time, I'm expected to do all that on my own time. I don't even get paid a 12 month salary (10 months for classroom instructors). If you said, hey teachers here's an extra 10% if you lead a PLC, people would fight for it. And it would probably be a source of favorism/nepotism. But teachers would want to improve their craft. If you offered free dinner for PLC meetings, most teachers wouldn't be so reluctant to plan together and wouldn't require NON-NEGOTIABLE threats from administrators.

The best thing about Common Core in my state is that it encouraged professional learning communities. I believe good teachers produce good teachers. But most good teachers don't have the time or willingness to collaborate and teach an extra period a week for free to other teachers who don't value it. My district provided paid off-campus planning for Common Core teachers. Little things like that factor into the success of an initiative. However, when schools require SO MUCH and expect you to do it for free, a lot of things don't get done.

It doesn't help that teachers are treated and paid like children.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
One of the things that aways annoys me in discussions of Common Core are parents who are somehow engaged enough to throw a fit that their children's curriculum is different from what they learned 30 years ago, but not engaged enough to take 10-15 minutes and figure it out. Like they always circulate these examples where it's like "oh God this is so ridiculous how are our kids supposed to understand this New Math" but the examples make plenty of sense if you look at them for a minute to two, much less if you go over with the kid what the teacher said in class or look at the textbook or online resources or whatever.

Soviet Space Dog
May 7, 2009
Unicum Space Dog
May 6, 2009

NOBODY WILL REALIZE MY POSTS ARE SHIT NOW THAT MY NAME IS PURPLE :smug:

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Because that's how you manage high skill employees in situations with difficult and complex tasks?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jackson Taus posted:

One of the things that aways annoys me in discussions of Common Core are parents who are somehow engaged enough to throw a fit that their children's curriculum is different from what they learned 30 years ago, but not engaged enough to take 10-15 minutes and figure it out. Like they always circulate these examples where it's like "oh God this is so ridiculous how are our kids supposed to understand this New Math" but the examples make plenty of sense if you look at them for a minute to two, much less if you go over with the kid what the teacher said in class or look at the textbook or online resources or whatever.

Parents? My friend is a teacher and she complains about Common Core new math being so stupid she can't understand it or teach it to the kids. :gonk:

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Next, we have the issue of professionalism. Teachers are direct employees of districts, but they are unionized and individual districts cannot force them to teach a certain way. They are not like employees of a retail business; the line of authority is much more diffuse. Okay, great, teachers have academic freedom, tenure, etc. That's great for them. Maybe great for students, but only if the teacher's freedom leads him or her to teach better than the standards. If not, then the freedom is a net negative for students. Again, the federal government cannot do anything about this anyway, it can only effect teachers through several layers of management by holding funding hostage at the school-, district-, and state-level.

Speaking as a former retail employee, the line of authority is not that much different. I went from Wal-Mart management to inner city public school teacher, and it really struck me how similar the policies, procedures, and due process were in both institutions. In both cases, extreme failure resulted in lengthy documentation processes to terminate the employee. I've seen both happen from up close and they were pretty much equal in terms of duration and burden of proof.

It has also seemed to me that in a retail setting, where everyone has a unified goal (make money by selling things) and benefits monetarily from achieving this goal, that the management chain works much more smoothly. In an educational setting, there are no real monetary incentives for doing much of anything other than coaching. Without incentive, then there's no real motivation to change teaching styles. Management can't realistically be in your room enough to fully document you out without months of work, and they're poo poo on too hard by the lunatics above them pushing political agendas to put in that kind of effort. Plus, when they do, you just get another job immediately because there's a shortage of people willing to teach for poo poo money in a poverty stricken educational environment. In retail, there is no shortage of desperate, college-education lacking people willing to work 70 hour weeks for a chance at a middle class life.

At Wal-Mart, I managed maybe 20 people at a time during normal business and I would have 2-3 sub-managers assisting, plus regular employees that wanted to take a shot at promotion taking on management responsibilities. At times that would spike dramatically, but during those times all of the regular employees would take on management responsibilities. If I did well, I got a multi-thousand dollar bonus check. If I were a step higher, that bonus would expand to 10k+ if the store does well. It was not unheard of for a store manager to get a 100 thousand dollar bonus check.

In school, I have 220 students. I'm supposed to have backup in the form of hall monitors, principals, and inclusion teachers. Hall monitors are a joke, the principals have their own quotas to deal with (drive out the old teachers who don't use technology as much) so they ignore or kick discipline back to the teachers, and inclusion teachers are a myth. I have a security button, in case there's an emergency. These get answered about 20% of the time. We didn't have fire extinguishers in the building for two months at the beginning of one year. If you don't have fire extinguishers in a retail store, the loving firefighters that shop there will potentially write major dollar tickets on your rear end. That kills your bonus. Also, the school doesn't run the loving air conditioner until past 3:00 PM as a cost cutting measure. It was a hundred goddamned degrees outside yesterday in Texas. Nothing I do will increase my paycheck by much other than perhaps becoming a private tutor for the wealthy. That's probably the next step, because the alternative money route in education is going into administration.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

litany of gulps posted:

Speaking as a former retail employee, the line of authority is not that much different. I went from Wal-Mart management to inner city public school teacher, and it really struck me how similar the policies, procedures, and due process were in both institutions. In both cases, extreme failure resulted in lengthy documentation processes to terminate the employee. I've seen both happen from up close and they were pretty much equal in terms of duration and burden of proof.

Call me crazy but I'd hope it would be quicker and easier to fire someone from Walmart than from a teaching job. What you're describing to me is just that, perhaps especially in Texas, there are no more employment protections for teachers than for your average Walmart employee anymore.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jackson Taus posted:

I was a tutor and worked with a lot of tutors, and we all had some difficulty understanding Common Core. We knew the math, obviously, and could very easily teach students how to properly solve problems, but some of the examples and methods used were completely out of left field for us, and given that we were getting second or thirdhand knowledge of what was being taught through a student who didn't properly comprehend the lesson (after all, they're in tutoring because they don't get the concept), it was fairly difficult to get quickly.

For the most part, we'd just grab a different textbook and give students example problems from there. My biggest complaint with the common core book we worked with most often is that instead of breaking down example problems by concept like a traditional math book, the examples problems were all mixed review, so if a student understood concepts X and Z, then it was a nightmare to try to find examples for Y that they missed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Luigi Thirty posted:

Parents? My friend is a teacher and she complains about Common Core new math being so stupid she can't understand it or teach it to the kids. :gonk:

I think this is an indictment of the old style of math education for sure. Some of the examples are a little confusing when you first look at them, but you really ought to be able to figure them out if you're even moderately numerate.

Still, perhaps it would be worthwhile for someone involved in this to make a guide that explains the Common Core question styles, and vocabulary, so it's less taxing on parents/tutors/etc. to figure out what's going on -- because I think that's where a lot of the frustration is coming from.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The "Johnny got this wrong answer.What mistake did he make?" questions are probably the best "do you understand arithmetic" questions I've ever seen

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

The "Johnny got this wrong answer.What mistake did he make?" questions are probably the best "do you understand arithmetic" questions I've ever seen

As a teacher, I don't think we spend nearly enough time training students how to identify errors and develop intuitive rules of thumb around material. The step before "Is this correct?" should be "Is this answer not batshit crazy?"

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Skeesix posted:

Call me crazy but I'd hope it would be quicker and easier to fire someone from Walmart than from a teaching job. What you're describing to me is just that, perhaps especially in Texas, there are no more employment protections for teachers than for your average Walmart employee anymore.

The biggest difference was that any given Wal-Mart store has a relatively small cast of long term characters, and a lot of temps or people in a probationary period that just get fired as a matter of course at the end of the probationary period. If you make it to a regular part-time position, you gain the benefits of the due process protections, but they're not obligated to give you any hours. Hence the standard retail firing tactic of cutting someone's hours to nothing until they quit. If you're full time or salaried at Wal-Mart, the process is pretty much identical for firing in that context vs firing a teacher. I would suspect this is true all over.

Teachers tend to be a lot more educated than Wal-Mart employees, and they have a union, which offers a modicum of protection. Most of that protection manifests in the form of an understanding of the system and access to legal counsel, which will help guarantee that if you are being fired, the firing party followed the required processes.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Malmesbury Monster posted:

The expectations placed on special ed. by NCLB are probably the worst part of the entire law and nobody's in any hurry to fix it because "we need to have high expectations for all students." Data collection and analysis are wonderful, but turning them into a bar for teacher evaluation makes the data a punishment rather than a tool.

In regards to implementation, I guess I'm arguing over semantics. I see the fight for teacher evaluation/charter schools/union-busting as existing prior to and in spite of Common Core. I worry that, by lumping all of it under one umbrella, people in power will jettison the easy part - the standards themselves - and leave the actually bad things, like Louisiana has. I think we all agree that the implementation has been really lovely, though, and that drags the entire enterprise down.

May God have mercy on all speech therapists and special ed. teachers.

Speech therapists who work with all kinds of stuff from plain old stuttering to severe Downs Syndrome even have to closely follow common core based goals. Speech therapists are trained from day 1 to recognize a disorder, write goals that target the disorder's specific impact on speech and/or language, and collect data on the intervention techniques.

But noooo, every goal must now be common core based. So you end up with these really hosed up situations where Sally Sue a 7th grader with severe Autism that can only communicate through basic vocalizations like screaming, crying, and 2-3 echolalic phrases has to now somehow meet this standard:

L 7.6 Vocabulary Acquisition and Use
Acquire and use accurately grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases; gather vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.

It's like telling a doctor that he can't treat a child with the flu unless his prescriptions and recommendations meet a common core science standard.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Avalanche posted:

May God have mercy on all speech therapists and special ed. teachers.

Speech therapists who work with all kinds of stuff from plain old stuttering to severe Downs Syndrome even have to closely follow common core based goals. Speech therapists are trained from day 1 to recognize a disorder, write goals that target the disorder's specific impact on speech and/or language, and collect data on the intervention techniques.

But noooo, every goal must now be common core based. So you end up with these really hosed up situations where Sally Sue a 7th grader with severe Autism that can only communicate through basic vocalizations like screaming, crying, and 2-3 echolalic phrases has to now somehow meet this standard:

L 7.6 Vocabulary Acquisition and Use
Acquire and use accurately grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases; gather vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.

It's like telling a doctor that he can't treat a child with the flu unless his prescriptions and recommendations meet a common core science standard.

Am I missing something? Why would a child with autism so severe that they are unable to communicate ever be in 7th grade? Or even in a traditional school?

Edit: And your analogy makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

KillHour posted:

Am I missing something? Why would a child with autism so severe that they are unable to communicate ever be in 7th grade? Or even in a traditional school?

Edit: And your analogy makes no sense.

Because public education is compulsory, poor communication skills don't automatically imply the student can't learn, grades are mostly arbitrary as it is when it comes to special needs, and most districts don't have the population, the money, or the staff to run an alternative school. Even if they did, the metrics the students are being judged against are what was just posted. In an ideal world, the speech therapist, special ed. instructor, or someone with some knowledge of this theoretical autistic student's capabilities would have them on an IEP and the regulations would allow them to set useful goals, instead of expecting all students, regardless of background and ability, to meet arbitrary objectives.

• Locked thread