Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I teach and I'll say that educational issues are always money issues. You have to pay people to produce more because teaching is a time intensive area. There is literally no way I can reflect on my practice, revise lessons, implement interventions, collaborate in a PLC, stay on top of my content, and etc in the regular working hours. But at the same time, I'm expected to do all that on my own time. I don't even get paid a 12 month salary (10 months for classroom instructors). If you said, hey teachers here's an extra 10% if you lead a PLC, people would fight for it. And it would probably be a source of favorism/nepotism. But teachers would want to improve their craft. If you offered free dinner for PLC meetings, most teachers wouldn't be so reluctant to plan together and wouldn't require NON-NEGOTIABLE threats from administrators.

The best thing about Common Core in my state is that it encouraged professional learning communities. I believe good teachers produce good teachers. But most good teachers don't have the time or willingness to collaborate and teach an extra period a week for free to other teachers who don't value it. My district provided paid off-campus planning for Common Core teachers. Little things like that factor into the success of an initiative. However, when schools require SO MUCH and expect you to do it for free, a lot of things don't get done.

It doesn't help that teachers are treated and paid like children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

Teachers tend to be a lot more educated than Wal-Mart employees, and they have a union, which offers a modicum of protection. Most of that protection manifests in the form of an understanding of the system and access to legal counsel, which will help guarantee that if you are being fired, the firing party followed the required processes.

A lot of teachers do not have union protections. I really hate the perception that every teacher is sitting behind an army of lawyers if school or district wants to get rid of them.

temple fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 6, 2014

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Skeesix posted:

Your wording is confusing. Do you mean you hate the possibility that a teacher would have that or do you mean you hate that others have the idea?

I changed it. I meant perception.

• Locked thread