Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Common Core in of itself isn't bad, but like many have said... implementation is the issue. And the implementation is complete poo poo.

The standards are great when you are dealing with a class of upper middle class white kids with IQs straddling the mean that all come from 2 parent households. poo poo falls apart when wrenches get thrown into the works.

For example, special education, speech pathology, and psychology all have to tailor their teaching/therapy to common core standards as well. They must show substantial progress month after month with common core goals. Again, nothing wrong with data collection and analysis, but it becomes pretty pointless with so many confounds. It becomes a real pain in the rear end trying to get a 7th grader with Downs Syndrome to meet a 7th grade goal when they have the mental capacity of a 1st grader. Or, trying to get Benardo to show progress towards his behavior goal when dad got shipped back to Mexico, mom is never home, and older sister is mainlining heroin.

And... if you are not demonstrating progress, then obviously something is wrong with YOU and YOU need to be fired. I've literally seen a speech pathologist fudge data and convince herself little Jimmy is doing so much better this week compared to last week just from fear of "Not making progress/getting fired".

I've seen the same thing in the private sector with retail. Corporate releases a new "performance metric", and the moment someone finds a way to exploit it, it is exploited to the maximum capacity out of fear. Honesty will just lead to getting yourself fired. Dishonesty means you keep your job.

You would think Special Ed Teachers/Speech Paths/Psychs who all require a Masters or Ph.D to teach/practice would have supreme integrity in data collection and metric reporting, but no. They are people too that don't want to be kicked to the street for not meeting a bullshit metric they have no control over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Malmesbury Monster posted:

The expectations placed on special ed. by NCLB are probably the worst part of the entire law and nobody's in any hurry to fix it because "we need to have high expectations for all students." Data collection and analysis are wonderful, but turning them into a bar for teacher evaluation makes the data a punishment rather than a tool.

In regards to implementation, I guess I'm arguing over semantics. I see the fight for teacher evaluation/charter schools/union-busting as existing prior to and in spite of Common Core. I worry that, by lumping all of it under one umbrella, people in power will jettison the easy part - the standards themselves - and leave the actually bad things, like Louisiana has. I think we all agree that the implementation has been really lovely, though, and that drags the entire enterprise down.

May God have mercy on all speech therapists and special ed. teachers.

Speech therapists who work with all kinds of stuff from plain old stuttering to severe Downs Syndrome even have to closely follow common core based goals. Speech therapists are trained from day 1 to recognize a disorder, write goals that target the disorder's specific impact on speech and/or language, and collect data on the intervention techniques.

But noooo, every goal must now be common core based. So you end up with these really hosed up situations where Sally Sue a 7th grader with severe Autism that can only communicate through basic vocalizations like screaming, crying, and 2-3 echolalic phrases has to now somehow meet this standard:

L 7.6 Vocabulary Acquisition and Use
Acquire and use accurately grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases; gather vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.

It's like telling a doctor that he can't treat a child with the flu unless his prescriptions and recommendations meet a common core science standard.

• Locked thread