Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Just going to post an interview with the lead author of the CC standards for math.

http://mathbabe.org/2014/02/11/interview-with-bill-mccallum-lead-writer-of-math-common-core/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
One thing I'm curious about with respect to "falling behind": I heard at one point that America is not really falling behind... When it comes to educating white people. That when you look at the numbers for whites in the US you get something on the order of Norway or Finland but we just do such an execrable job educating minorities that the us looks pretty poor on the numbers. Of course I haven't really looked at the numbers there but I think it was on an NPR program where they were examining how elites in the country want to shake up education and how they're doing so.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Cantorsdust posted:

As someone who did math competitions throughout childhood, graduated with a degree in mathematics, thought for a long time about being a high school math teacher before abandoning the dream for a better paying career, I can really identify with the article. Mathematics done right is absolutely beautiful. Case in point:

There's tons of times where I would be in the middle of a derivation and start turning down a wrong path, but I would stop. Once things started to get complicated, they got ugly, for lack of a better word. With practice, you can absolutely pick out the moment where you've messed up instead of "following everything to its illogical conclusion." It's the same sense you get when you hear an off key note or start a faltering sentence. But you can't build that sense from rote math problems/teaching, because they're usually far too short. You have to be left to flounder around for a page or two so that you can start to build that sense of when things aren't working out.

Alternatively, you have to learn to sketch out the major derivation steps in your head that you instinctively sense to be true, and then work out a path from there. You might have encountered the term "lemma" in geometry referring to such bridging steps. Again, without "freeform" derivation/proofs, you'll never build that skill.

The thing is that beyond a point, math absolutely gets fun. This was a problem I just thought of yesterday, for which I don't know the answer:

You know primes. Sometimes primes come in pairs only two apart, like 11 and 13, or 29 and 31. It's been proven that there are an infinite number of such "twin prime" pairs. But what about primes appearing three apart? Or four apart? Some number n apart? Are there an infinite number of "n prime" pairs for any n? If not, which n's?

This is a fun question. The answer isn't immediately obvious to me, although I would suspect it's true for all n based on beauty alone. But that's an example of a fun "adult-level" math question that without a proper comprehensive math education, kids would never be able to experience.

fake edit: a bit of googling shows that I was wrong, the number of twin primes is only conjectured to be infinite, but there's strong suspicion that it is. My specific question is called Polignac's conjecture, and was first asked in 1849. Thus far, the best efforts of mathematicians have shown that it is true for at least one number N for N < 246. It remains unanswered. Cool!

That's kind of neat that you happened upon this one since there was no n it was known for until last year when it was uncovered by a guy who was not a professor but instead an adjunct teacher in New Hampshire.

As far as crypto as....munitions... OP, did you grow up in Soviet Russia or something? RSA has the name because it was discovered by academics and is now the base for the entire online transaction system of the internet.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Nice post. I think that content knowledge is a real problem that people like to push aside because it's so hard to bring up to teachers. No one wants to tell someone who's been teaching for 30 years that they need to work on content knowledge because it sounds like you're saying that they don't know fractions. But still there's a difference between knowing fractions and really mastering them. There's one guy at Berkeley who wrote a 100 page text just on fractions in all their incarnations. Similarly, in college many education majors do not want to take content knowledge courses. The best books for teacher training are the ones that sneak in content knowledge under the umbrella of manipulative training like Beckmann's book.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

litany of gulps posted:

Speaking as a former retail employee, the line of authority is not that much different. I went from Wal-Mart management to inner city public school teacher, and it really struck me how similar the policies, procedures, and due process were in both institutions. In both cases, extreme failure resulted in lengthy documentation processes to terminate the employee. I've seen both happen from up close and they were pretty much equal in terms of duration and burden of proof.

Call me crazy but I'd hope it would be quicker and easier to fire someone from Walmart than from a teaching job. What you're describing to me is just that, perhaps especially in Texas, there are no more employment protections for teachers than for your average Walmart employee anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

temple posted:

A lot of teachers do not have union protections. I really hate the idea that every teacher is sitting behind an army of lawyers if school or district wants to get rid of them.

Your wording is confusing. Do you mean you hate the possibility that a teacher would have that or do you mean you hate that others have the idea?

• Locked thread