Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Avalanche posted:

May God have mercy on all speech therapists and special ed. teachers.

Speech therapists who work with all kinds of stuff from plain old stuttering to severe Downs Syndrome even have to closely follow common core based goals. Speech therapists are trained from day 1 to recognize a disorder, write goals that target the disorder's specific impact on speech and/or language, and collect data on the intervention techniques.

But noooo, every goal must now be common core based. So you end up with these really hosed up situations where Sally Sue a 7th grader with severe Autism that can only communicate through basic vocalizations like screaming, crying, and 2-3 echolalic phrases has to now somehow meet this standard:

L 7.6 Vocabulary Acquisition and Use
Acquire and use accurately grade-appropriate general academic and domain-specific words and phrases; gather vocabulary knowledge when considering a word or phrase important to comprehension or expression.

It's like telling a doctor that he can't treat a child with the flu unless his prescriptions and recommendations meet a common core science standard.

Am I missing something? Why would a child with autism so severe that they are unable to communicate ever be in 7th grade? Or even in a traditional school?

Edit: And your analogy makes no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's a reason McDonalds has the "Double Quarter Pounder" and not the "Half Pounder."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Trent posted:

I'm back to working retail while I work on my masters, and I see this all the time. Trying to explain to someone that even though (for example) ink cartridge A costs 40% more than B, B has 60% more ink, so it's actually cheaper per unit volume... It's a lost cause with a depressing number of people.

I think you typed this wrong. If ink cartridge A costs 40% more, and B has 60% more ink, of course B is the better value - it's both cheaper and bigger. I think you mean A costs 40% more AND has 60% more ink than B. In which case, A would be cheaper per unit but the answer would be less obvious.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 7, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's not just that taxes are different per state, they're different per county (and sometimes by city).

• Locked thread