Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Bigup DJ posted:

I'm really curious how that's a problem. Could you talk more about it?

I feel like everyone who "gets" math goes through this thought process when they're exposed to other students who "don't". You see people with a half-page of formulas scrawled on notes. You can tell that their plan (to get a good grade) is to go back over that list of formulas and commit as much to memory as possible.

People would be baffled that I'd take no notes, take no "cheat sheets" to tests, and score better than them. I was baffled too, until you start seeing those formulas as what they are: a crutch. A replacement for the natural and true form of mathematics wherein you connect one concept to another by a series of relationships.

The "quadratic formula" has no place in a society with computers, but learning or inferring that a quadratic equation produces two roots because it crosses the x axis twice, and that those roots get closer together as the parabola gets "tighter" and further apart as it gets "lower", and seeing the magic of how those two factors come out of the equation. That is an understanding that can't be broken by a flawed human memory. And can be applied without having hard numbers.

And you can see that relationship in all sorts of things that happen if you start looking. But as a set formula, it's nothing. It's meaningless. And has to be memorized by rote, and fails at being especially useful even for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread