Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MGTen posted:

This is really a minor quibble, and for the record I think you're pretty much correct on this at least partly stemming from the way we teach these subjects, but your comparison between illiteracy and people who say "I'm not a math person" isn't quite correct. I mean, people who say that can do at least general and basic math. Much like how a person that says "I don't read" has at least basic reading skills, the mathematically disinclined can almost always do basic arithmetic and maybe even some light algebra. Sure, they might stare at you in bewilderment if you ask them to calculate a percentage or multiply two fractions together, but you'd probably get the same reaction if you asked them to spell or define some simple words.

If someone didn't even know how to add two numbers together or count, like they didn't even understand how to do the most basic things, that would be closer to a complete illiterate and I imagine it would be treated pretty similarly to how we treat illiteracy.

The OP Article posted:

One of the most vivid arithmetic failings displayed by Americans occurred in the early 1980s, when the A&W restaurant chain released a new hamburger to rival the McDonald’s Quarter Pounder. With a third-pound of beef, the A&W burger had more meat than the Quarter Pounder; in taste tests, customers preferred A&W’s burger. And it was less expensive. A lavish A&W television and radio marketing campaign cited these benefits. Yet instead of leaping at the great value, customers snubbed it.

Only when the company held customer focus groups did it become clear why. The Third Pounder presented the American public with a test in fractions. And we failed. Misunderstanding the value of one-third, customers believed they were being overcharged. Why, they asked the researchers, should they pay the same amount for a third of a pound of meat as they did for a quarter-pound of meat at McDonald’s. The “4” in “¼,” larger than the “3” in “⅓,” led them astray.

It is that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

blowfish posted:

:psypop:
Ok, you're officially the hermit kingdom.

When looking at a price tag I don't give a poo poo about how much of that is tax, I only want to know how big the stack of cash I need to get out of my wallet is. Put a "and $Texas of that price goes to the greedy gubmint" under the main number on the price tag if you want to live up to the special snowflake country image for the sake of it.

It's because sales tax varies on a state by state basis. McDonalds and such don't want to have to print a different menu for each state or deal with the complaints that items on the "dollar" menu say $1.08 instead of $1. Plus it lets businesses effectively charge extra.

• Locked thread