Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Malmesbury Monster posted:

Public discourse has conflated the Common Core standards with the package of neo-liberal bullshit school reformers are pushing like score-based teacher evaluations. It doesn't help that the Department of Education endorses both.

Race to the Top grants (which in part involves shutting down public schools and shunting money off to charters) were tied to CC implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Malmesbury Monster posted:

I'm aware of the connection, but the CC standards were developed independently from Race to the Top. The standards themselves are excellent, which is why it bugs me to hear teachers assume they must be bad because they got lumped in with all the other reform bullshit. Since they're already suspicious, they bite the "Obummer national curriculum" or "it makes math too hard" line without question, which plays into the hands of people who want to mandate terrible state standards and curricula.

Oh I know, but a lot of the criticism of CC from the left or whatever we're labeling people who aren't total nutbars like Diane Ravitch for example is based largely on implementation rather than the content of the standards. And that implementation is tied to neoliberal reforms, which regardless of what curricula standard one develops will undermine it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

PT6A posted:

Either we need to figure out how to measure actual teaching ability without regard to the quality of the "raw materials" (sorry if that's an insensitive metaphor), or we need to give up on the concept altogether.

Or do like the guy who developed EVAAS did and just pretend it doesn't exist.:v:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

JonathonSpectre posted:

Of course the entire faculty straight-up started laughing at how completely ridiculous this was. My principal began trying to argue that gee golly that's the research right here until your eagle-eyed correspondent did a quick Google search and found out the author of the research works for a company that, wouldn't you loving know it, just happens to sell the quick fix to all problems, a bunch of insanely expensive poo poo about questioning techniques! For the low low price of eight or nine thousand dollars a year,

That is pretty low considering an EVAAS license runs about 2-3 million/yr and the guy who developed it basically runs the same hustle.

• Locked thread