Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cantorsdust posted:

Arithmetic is perfect for a computer: it requires perfect accuracy but no thought. So why are we making children focus on arithmetic instead of math?
Because what is desired from these students is accuracy, but no thought, I guess. Of course, that implies there's some kind of a goal here, and I'm pretty sure that at no point was any of this actually designed from the top down to accomplish these goals, they are just side effects of a desire to "do more with less" (by very strictly defining what is more (higher test scores) and what is less (costs).)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

the boston bomber posted:

The teachers in my family are convinced common core is just an elaborate way to close down public schools and gut the teacher's unions so we can have non-union charter schools. Maybe someone who knows more about it can say whether this is at all accurate or not.
I would amend it to say that the goal is to turn the money going into public schools and teacher's salaries etc. into a private revenue stream, where presumably the same money would go in, and a vaguely similar quantity of schooling would occur, but private parties would be able to take a certain percentage out as profits. It is also considered politically desirable to undermine one of the few remaining bastions of organized labor, because organized labor is to these guys like Superman is to Lex Luthor: Even if it isn't doing a single goddamn thing to hurt them, and is arguably helping them, it still must be destroyed.

• Locked thread