Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I certainly know adults who can barely do basic arithmetic, and it's possible to graduate from high school in my province with nothing beyond basic arithmetic skills. I think a better criterion for whether a person is innumerate or illiterate is if their lack of literacy or numeracy impairs them in everyday life, and I would argue that a lot of people are seriously impaired by innumeracy even if they possess basic arithmetic skills.
I'm back to working retail while I work on my masters, and I see this all the time. Trying to explain to someone that even though (for example) ink cartridge A costs 40% more than B, B has 60% more ink, so it's actually cheaper per unit volume... It's a lost cause with a depressing number of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dirk the Average posted:

That's horrifying. At least at grocery stores they do the money/unit food conversion for you, but I can't even conceive of people who don't do that calculation. It's the first thing that both my mother and my father independently taught me about shopping and looking for deals.

Granted, there are some times where it's beneficial to go with the "worse" deal, such as when you don't need the extra stuff, or the extra stuff will spoil, but that's on a case by case basis.

Well sure, just like you don't always need the 128 roll pack of toilet paper even though they are 1ยข cheaper per roll, but I'm taking about blank stares and people actually thinking I'm trying to trick them somehow. It feels like I might as well be taking about fractional roots of imaginary numbers and string theory.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KillHour posted:

I think you typed this wrong. If ink cartridge A costs 40% more, and B has 60% more ink, of course B is the better value - it's both cheaper and bigger. I think you mean A costs 40% more AND has 60% more ink than B. In which case, A would be cheaper per unit but the answer would be less obvious.

You're right of course. I'll blame it on trying to make a fancy post from my phone, but it was probably just a typo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rscott posted:

Alcoholic beverages at bars are typically sold with the tax included

This is true if it is served open, it's plus tax if it's sold closed. Because, that's why.

• Locked thread