Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

tsa posted:

:newlol: if you think abstract artists aren't "technically skilled"

People doing solely splatter-art aren't technically skilled though. They just aren't.

Gerhard Richter did both complex and photorealistic stuff that took technical skill, and abstract stuff that did not.

Jackson Pollock did abstract stuff that did not require technical skill and made a POINT of it not requiring technical skill.

That is not to say that Jackson Pollock is not a good artist. Sheer, pure technicality and artistic merit are very different.

It's like your talking about '77 3 chord punk and romantic/baroque/classical - both totally valid music genres and I listen to both a lot, but one requires lots of technical skill, and the other doesn't and in fact romanticises the lack of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

So you're saying it can't function as a standalone medium on its own aesthetic merits without context

• Locked thread