Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I ask this not to be, like, condescending or anti-intellectual or populist or geeshucksy or anything like that, I'm actually curious. I listen to a little bit of pretty avant-garde music that most people would find distasteful, and I like it because it tickles an analytical part of my brain that MOST of the music I listen to doesn't. Which isn't to say that the majority of music I prefer to listen to isn't poppier stuff, just, yknow, it takes all sorts.

But I've never been a big visual art appreciator at all, and I just read from somewhere that Number 5 is currently worth ~$300m USD, and it made me genuinely wonder why he's so popular. Again, not from a judgemental place, but in a critical way. What themes does Pollock show in his work that made him take off, was it a zeitgeist thing, had people not splattered canvasses with paint before, etc etc. Do :airquote: serious art people :airquote: even like him in the first place, or is he just Expressionism 101 translated to a mass audience? Like I have some ideas from listening to Expressionist music how and why that whole movement took off at the time that it did, I just wonder what's unique about Pollock that made him so notable.

Basically give me an art history course TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread