Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
I like his work.

One big thing that nobody has mentioned here - kind of heady art critical stuff - is the concept of "value." Some people have said "cultural value" but there's a bit more to it. I think of cultural value as a statement something like: "Jackson Pollock was a trailblazing artist of abstract expressionism - he developed a new way of painting and was recognized all over for innovation and influence." Of course there are any number of reasons for his popularity (the CIA involvement, etc., all that poo poo is true, but there is a lot more to it than just that.)

Back to value: what is visual value? I guess to make an example its easier to think about it on a smaller scale. Say you go into a gallery in your city and you buy a painting for $300. You're exchanging this thing ($1 bill x 300) for this other thing (a painting on a canvas.) A dollar bill is just a symbol, its value is entirely perceived - it just happens to be perceived by everyone in the same exact way, basically. If you can get this far in my argument, what I will say is that art is exactly like that, except the value is in your perception. So you are trading one kind of value for another. This is a really simple example that ignores (partially) the concept of supply and demand, investments, money laundering, etc. - which are all legitimate factors.

If you are REALLY interested in understanding art & money I recommend the book "AIR GUITAR" by Dave Hickey. That is a good place to start, and very accessible.

Execu-speak posted:

^^^ Pretty much this.

He gave himself a paint enema then shat it out on a canvas and the pretentious art community gobbled it up.

And here we have the pretentious something awful community providing timeless eloquence while they take a break from their World of Warcraft game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?

the posted:

And then the painting you bought for $300 turns out to be the last painting by a man who ended up being a cannibalistic serial killer. Suddenly someone offers you $30,000 for the painting. Its value has increased.

perhaps I should put it on a meme with cats in sunglasses playing keyboards or something, then you would "value" it enough to spend more than 30 seconds skimming what other people write looking for a way to state something that has already been pointed out

• Locked thread