Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Can't find a link right now but I do remember reading something about genuine Jackson Pollock paintings being rated higher than art student imitations in blind tests, so there really is something going on there beyond paint splatter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's possible to simultaneously appreciate stuff like Pollock's art, and to think it's worthwhile, while also not thinking it can really be compared with the art of people who are actually very technically skilled. Like, I could conceivably create some worthwhile music with my cello, but it would be laughable to compare me, as a cellist, with Yo-yo Ma. The same goes for other forms of art.

I think a lot of the backlash is a sort of second-hand shame, like how I would feel like a massive dick if I played something on my cello and it sold for millions of dollars. I wouldn't even be able to show my face around people who I knew were better cellists if I did such a thing.

Why not? I think most people understand that the value of music isn't really determined by the technical skill of the player.

• Locked thread