Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bit late to the party, but I never knew Kane was the heir to the throne here as well. He truly is the Messiah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

evilmiera posted:

Bit late to the party, but I never knew Kane was the heir to the throne here as well. He truly is the Messiah.

How do you think he keeps living and disappearing in the CnC games all the time? Invisibility and healing spells, duh!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I noticed the chicken leg disappears from the table in between the kitchen screenshots, did you eat it or does something remove it in-game?

It also seems kind of revealing of time crunches that the castle has all these red herring items with no purpose... if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that Malcolm and/or Herman were supposed to originally pursue you through those corridors and you had to avoid them/trip them up with your gem abilities while collecting items to put them out of commission and/or solve puzzles. At least, that's the only justification I can imagine for those empty corridors outside of really dull-brained developers.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

PurpleXVI posted:

I noticed the chicken leg disappears from the table in between the kitchen screenshots, did you eat it or does something remove it in-game?

Huh, I totally forgot about that. I finished the playthrough about a week before I wrote that update, and looking at them now shows that I neglected to actually capture eating the mutton leg and then I overlooked it when writing the update. It's another red herring item though. You eat it, and you get a bone item in return, much like with the fish. The bone and mutton leg are both useless.

PurpleXVI posted:

It also seems kind of revealing of time crunches that the castle has all these red herring items with no purpose... if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that Malcolm and/or Herman were supposed to originally pursue you through those corridors and you had to avoid them/trip them up with your gem abilities while collecting items to put them out of commission and/or solve puzzles. At least, that's the only justification I can imagine for those empty corridors outside of really dull-brained developers.

That would at least be more interesting. The game actually has a whole bunch of unused items hinting at puzzles that might have existed earlier on in development. We'll get a look at some of them after the main game is done. Then again, the game does contain a million boring forest locations with no apparent use, so I wouldn't give the environment designers too much credit...

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Kyrandia series loooves its red herrings. There's so many of them I thought there must have been some kind of extra difficulty setting that added more puzzles.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The gems would be interesting as a puzzle mechanic except for the recharge time. I don't think any player would want to stand in one room for fear of triggering an event when they moved to the next room before the gems recharged, and that would make the game much less fun, like the save-and-load fest in the troll cave in King's Quest IV, for example. The gems are pretty rarely used, but that makes sense. The only time you might actually have to wait for a recharge is between getting the ruby and healing the bird, and there's plenty else to do in the meantime.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Wait, the spells have cooldowns on them? For god's sake, why :confused:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Wait, the spells have cooldowns on them? For god's sake, why :confused:

Legend of Kyrandia was originally going to be an MMO, and they didn't want people to be able to abuse the healing spell.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The screen full of hundreds of Brandons, each trying to find the right combination(different for each player) of gems to sacrifice to the altar, the ground around it is covered with gemstones.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zeniel posted:

The screen full of hundreds of Brandons, each trying to find the right combination(different for each player) of gems to sacrifice to the altar, the ground around it is covered with gemstones.

All telling horrible puns. The Brandon's that were able to progressed have donned black garments and constantly shout "Peace through Power!"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Don't tell me you wouldn't play a game where everybody is Joe Kucan.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

Don't tell me you wouldn't play a game where everybody is Joe Kucan.

HOW DARE YOU ASSUME THAT! I would play any and every game involving Joe Kucan. The game could be entirely composed of Joe Kucan reading a newspaper on his porch, occassionally looking up and telling me to get off his lawn and I would get all the achievements for it. All 3000 of them!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Since we're so close to the end, and the last update for the main game is so short, let's not beat around the bush!

Chapter 10 - Finale: Wherein the Land is Saved

Last time, we were standing on the doorstep of the Kyra-Vault. Only a thick iron door stands between us and all the magic in the land. How do we get it open? Well, there are three conspicuous red velvet cushions, and we have three golden items that look pretty significant.

You'd think so, Brandon, but you'd be wrong. There is a specific order to the regalia that will open the door. Fortunately there are only so many ways you can rearrange three items, so even though it's another case of trial-and-error, the solution is pretty easy to figure out. The correct order is scepter, crown, chalice.

Excellent!

The door is open, and the Kyragem awaits. Let's not waste any time.

On second thought let's punch this guy in the face first.

:siren: Video: Malcolm at the Kyra-Vault (Youtube) :siren:

My, you are clever. What gall you show to break my rule! Do you wish to fight me now? Or will you heed your mommy's plea?

What's that about our mum?

Did your Grandpa knit that vest?

Don't push, old man! I'm warning you!
You're warning ME? At last, a joke!

Move aside, I'm going in!
I told you no, and still you must?

Don't push me again, old man!
An ultimatum? Here's the push!

Jerk.

Finally! Good job growing a spine, Brandon. Should've done that ages ago.

Music: The Kyra-Vault (Tindeck)

This must be the Kyragem!

There it is: the Kyragem, source of all magic in the land. Uh, actually, now that we're here, what are we supposed to do exactly?

Now I think he's really mad!

No time to think. Malcolm's awake, and he looks pissed off. What do we do? And what's that red ball he just summoned?

Defeated at the cusp of victory! This is the final puzzle in the game. We have to dodge Malcolm's spell, or we're done for, and Kyrandia will be nothing but a mad jester and a bunch of statues.

Our inventory is empty. All we have to help us get out of this sticky situation is the magic amulet and whatever is in the room. Other than the Kyragem, though, nothing can be interacted with. When I first played this game as a kid, I got kinda stuck here for that reason. We can give the various jewels a try, but as it turns out, none of them will help us avoid stony death. Healing does nothing, Dispel Magic doesn't stop and the spell, and Invisibility or Will-o-Wisp just revert when the spell hits and Brandon gets petrified anyhow.

One of those spells is actually the right answer. We just have to be standing in the right spot first.

First, we go stand by the mirror on the right. Then, when Malcolm comes in and throws his spell...

... we use the red jewel on our own amulet, turning invisible. The spell misses, bounces off the mirror and strikes Malcolm instead, turning him to stone!

:toot: The curse is lifted, and the Kyragem - along with the vault - is restored to its true form. We did it, guys! Sit back and enjoy the final cutscene.

:siren: Video: Finale + Credits (Youtube) :siren:

It's great to be alive! Brandon!

No! YOU did it! Long live King Brandon!
Long live the Royal Mystics! Now, let's go put Kyrandia back together!
Good idea!
As my first Royal Proclamation...

The Land no longer weeps, and your friends have been restored!

The rest is credits. They are included in the video above if you want to see them and enjoy the music.

Well, that's it for the main game. We came a long way, solving many bullshit puzzles and suffered much trial and error. My thoughts on this game after replaying it well over two decades since it first came out are kind of mixed. This game is full of perversely annoying puzzles, but when it comes down to it, this was pretty much the standard at the time (at least among Sierra games - Lucasarts were already building a reputation around not doing this sort of thing as much). Compulsive hoarding of items, trial-and-error and save-scumming was just how point-and-click adventure games were expected to be played at the time. Even so, this game manages to sneak in a puzzle or two that are just downright awful, the fireberry labyrinth being the most notorious. Still, the game was well enough received for there to be a sequel, and did get 5/5 stars in Dragon Magazine somehow.

The game is over, but there are a few more things to show off. Stick around for next time, when we'll take a look at some of the items in the game we didn't see in this playthrough, and some additional items that are impossible to get without cheating.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
...Sandals? That came out of nowhere.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

...Sandals? That came out of nowhere.

Not completely, actually!

It's still pretty random.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
GOTTA COLLECT ALL FOUR SPELLS and then only actually use one of them at the final epic confrontation goodnight kids.

Is the plan to continue to the next couple of Kyrandia games after this one? Because despite all the bullshit, I have strangely fond memories of the series, like I have of pretty much everything Westwood.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

Is the plan to continue to the next couple of Kyrandia games after this one? Because despite all the bullshit, I have strangely fond memories of the series, like I have of pretty much everything Westwood.

It would be a shame to stop now when the series is finally going to start getting good! After the bonus update (which should be sometime this week), I'll probably take a little break, but I do intend to do Hand of Fate as well unless something unexpected comes up.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Aw yeah, this series is about to get good.

:dance:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It would be a shame to stop now when the series is finally going to start getting good! After the bonus update (which should be sometime this week), I'll probably take a little break, but I do intend to do Hand of Fate as well unless something unexpected comes up.

Glad to hear it - this game was alright for the time, but Hand of Fate is actually good. It deserves to be seen. :)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Hot drat, that's AWESOME to hear. It's been a nice walk down memory lane so far, and I'm looking forward to the rest.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Got inspired by this thread and decided to repurchase Hand of Fate and also give Malcolms Revenge a crack.

Looks like Hand of Fate was the only one in the series worth a drat. :sigh:

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Hand of Fate was so much better than the first one in every respect. Are you planning on posting up the recipe book early on? It'd be interesting to see if anyone reading this thread who hasn't played the game before can puzzle their way through the more cryptic clues in there.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Hand of Fate is easily the best game in the series, although I would rank Malcolm's Revenge above the first game since at least it cut down on the massive amount of filler (even if it didn't eliminate it entirely) and most of the puzzles are at least somewhat logical. (Plus it has the dumbest, most groan-inducingly great pun of them all.)

inflatablefish posted:

Are you planning on posting up the recipe book early on? It'd be interesting to see if anyone reading this thread who hasn't played the game before can puzzle their way through the more cryptic clues in there.

I was planning on doing that, yeah. That does seem interesting, though I'm not sure how many people are up for that..? The potion-related puzzles are some of the best in the game, and do lend themselves somewhat to being solved that way.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
so the ending doesn't do anything with any other characters? Just your grandfather and the weirdo treehouse?

maybe everyone hates sandals.

anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the next ones. It's still weird seeing this out of Westwood before they did C&C (1993 vs 1995) ... just such a massive shift in studio direction.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've always kinda seen everyone seeing Brandon as something of an expendable dope. No-one ever seems to really pay him any mind after the first game.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

most groan-inducingly great pun of them all.)

I reckon I know exactly the one you're talking about.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I just binged through this LP, I can't believe I missed it. :smith:

I borrowed it from a friend and played to the moonlight altar for reasons you probably can't guess. How the hell did I get past the birthstones part. :psyduck:

I'll go against the grain here and mention that I like Brandon. He's delightfully doofy. Completely non plussed and concerned with the most trivial of things while faced with an all powerful maniac. You'd almost think he has some kind of mental handicap. He's a spoiled prince who doesn't even know he's a prince.
Also, how can you dislike a guy who punches the villain wielding the ultimate power?

Seeing this played before me I'm reminded of the sorceress apprentice movie with Nicolas Cage. The whiny main character there reminds me of Brandon now.

I look forward to your last update. :) I've never played any of the follow up games so I hope that you will follow through on your plan to play them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I am kind of sad the ending only involves one of the characters we've met.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Brandon is definitely the most sufferable of the Kyrandia protagonists.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Bonus Update: Useless and/or Unobtainable Items

We've seen everything in the game needed to beat it. But there are actually more items in the game that you can find if you look around a bit, most of which can't be used for anything. I skipped over them in the main playthrough, but we're going to have a look at some of them now.

A big part of the main puzzle in Faeriewood involved filling flasks with magic water and potions to get stuff done. You can actually fill the empty flasks with all kinds of things if you backtrack around, such as mineral water from the pool in the labyrinth.

The mineral water is useless and actually locks up the flask - you can't drink the mineral water or dispose of it otherwise without leaving the flask behind too, so once you've done this you need to go fetch a new flask. If you backtrack even further...

... you can get a bottle of salt water from the Pool of Sorrows. Kind of gross, really. This one you can drink.

*COUGH* *COUGH* Yuck! It's salt water!

You can get a third kind of water from either the blueberry spring, or the spring back in Timbermist where we got the tulips, or the moonstone well once it's been restored. This kind is also drinkable.

-gulp- Ahhh...

On the topic of flasks, remember where we combined a red and yellow potion into an orange potion, a blue and yellow potion into a green potion etc.? You can mix red with red, yellow with yellow and blue with blue as well. You get rounded flasks containing the same potion as was already in the square flasks, and the result of drinking them is exactly the same as before, i.e. useless.

Rounded flasks can be filled with the same kinds of water as square flasks. They work the same, too.

Back during the main game, I said emeralds were useless. This is not exactly true, as it turns out; you can use these rather than topazes for the yellow potion. This is the only place you can get them, as the statue back in Timbermist remains unassailable throughout the game.

Remember the stump where we came out after taking the tunnel from Zanthia's house?

This rare gem has a tiny rainbow in it.

This thing is hidden inside it. It's kind of pretty, but you can't use it for alchemy. In fact, the only thing you can do with it is all the way back at the blueberry bush. Tossing the rainbowstone into the water transforms it into...

... a little silver statuette of a rearing unicorn. Now, you might think this would have something to do with the pegasus puzzle. You'd be wrong, though, because that has a semblance of logic to it and this game won't have any of that. As far as I know, this statuette has absolutely no use, nor can you use the rainbowstone for anything else. My best guess is that this was part of a quest that was in the game at an earlier stage of development, but was removed aside from this part. The third game in the series, Malcolm's Revenge, does mention pegasus potions again. In that game "essence of horse" is said to be an ingredient for it, and one of the items you can do as a proxy for essence of horse is a little wooden toy horse. The statuette might have had a similar purpose in this game once.

Besides useless items, the game's data files are full of items that are unobtainable, and have no use, but do have graphics and some of them even have spoken descriptions. Using ScummVM's debug console, we can check these items out.

Aside from the Scroll of Winter, which we used to clear the lava and extinguish the flaming tree, there are nine other scrolls, some of which are white rather than brown. None of these scrolls can be examined except for one, which makes Brandon go into his scroll reading animation.

Hmm. Nothing happened, but I feel like going somewhere else.

The purpose of this scroll is unknown. Of interest, the description for this item is fully voice acted, which is odd for an item that isn't in the game. Remember that the voice-acted version of this game was released a full year after the original, text-only version, so the fact that this item was unused must have been known when they decided to record the lines. There are several more items that also have voice-acted descriptions.

There are also five different parchment scrap items in the game. Perhaps at some point Darm made you collect these to form a full scroll (as if the birthstone quest wasn't enough random item collection)?

These jewels are Magestones. From the top, they're Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue-Green, Blue, and Purple. The "red" and "orange" stones share a sprite, and none of these have a description. I'm beginning to think this game had a lot more random item collection puzzles originally.

A pile of random unused items. The red stone is a Lodestone, purpose uncertain, possibly connected to the Magestones? Next is a silver coin, probably counterpart to the gold coin you pick up in the labyrinth. The next item is a gold ring, followed by an egg and a "Fallen Star". This item also has a voice-acted description when you examine it.

I thought this was a dead starfish.

The bottom row is a shamrock, a mirror, an ice shard, and two more key palette swaps (jade and obsidian - the game misspells the latter "obsidion"). There's nothing in the game that suggests a jade or obsidian key might be useful. The shamrock, ice shard and egg sound like they might be alchemy ingredients?

The top row is a bunch of fireberries; we've seen most of these, actually. The first four are just ordinary fireberries. When you pick one from a bush, you get an instance of the leftmost fireberry, and then every time you move it turns into the next one. The rightmost, dimmest fireberry is not used, however. It's possible this is the item they turn into as they burn out. Interestingly, this one has a description.

Help!!

... and a weird one, to boot. Brandon screams this one. It's pretty loud. The bright fireberry in the bottom row is an Everglowing Fireberry, which is exactly what it says on the tin: it never expires. The game calls the purple thing a mushroom, which I assume was planned for a cave room somewhere. The thing that looks like a flask and the rainbowstone pasted together is a Rainbow Potion, and the last item in the list is just called a "leaf". It looks like a dead, dry leaf. Perhaps at one point it was related to the Deadwood Glade puzzle. None of these items do anything.

Those are all the items left in the game. Some of them might have been related to old puzzles, but many are entirely confusing.

At this point, we've reached the end of The Legend of Kyrandia: Book One. Malcolm has been defeated, Brandon is king, and sandals are the official footwear of Kyrandia. The Land is safe, and peace will now reign forever.

Right..?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Clearly the next game is about playing a band of brave rebels fighting the cruel, oppressive government trying to force sandals upon them.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
This was a really good LP. Thank you for showing off this... quirky? Idiosyncratic? Something game.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think it would have been wonderful if after all that nonsense you go through in the caves, there was an Everglowing Fireberry bush right outside the exit.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I'm thinking that the rainbow stone/pegasus statue thing are part of some kind of running developer gag(although I don't quite know what the joke is) You can find both the stone and the statue in Hand of Fate too, and are both used for an arbitrary puzzle that has nothing to do with anything too.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Reading along with this it seems like such a short game...until you realize all the trial and error stuff. How long did you play through take?

Well done on finishing.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I think it would have been wonderful if after all that nonsense you go through in the caves, there was an Everglowing Fireberry bush right outside the exit.

Now that you mention it, I'm kind of surprised they didn't do this. Seems right up their alley, humor-wise. Just the kind of thing Hand of Fate's protagonist would get good and angry about.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Darth TNT posted:

How long did you play through take?

The game is beatable in less than an hour if you know all the puzzles and have a map of the labyrinth. The actual playthrough here took much longer because I was recording and re-recording stuff, taking screenshots, etc. I came into it knowing pretty much everything about it, so even the trial and error puzzles weren't that hard to deal with. The cave portion probably took the longest since I didn't have my old maps anymore, so I had to reconstruct it - and then I had to go through the place a second time because I messed up the order of some items and it made the progression look wrong. As a result the actual finished savegame only has about a fourth of the labyrinth lit up - just the bits needed to get to everything.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Thank you for LPing this. :3: It's been really nice being able to revisit the game without having to play it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Will you LP the second game in this thread or will you make a new thread? If the latter, could you link the new thread here when you make it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Torrannor posted:

Will you LP the second game in this thread or will you make a new thread? If the latter, could you link the new thread here when you make it?

You know, I'm not sure. Continuing the same thread would be easier if you want to catch up on the whole series, and prevent the thread from being archived. How's this usually done?

• Locked thread