Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Holy poo poo. No matter what suggestions we give, this is going to be amazing. The Horrible Secret of Animal Crossing is what sucked me into LP in the first place, and I loved the poo poo out of Carmen Sandiego as a kid.

Surname: Sandiego.
Quirk: Professional cat-burglar turned Cop. A kleptomaniac by nature, has to work very hard to keep himself under control.
Motivation: Carmen is his estranged ex-wife. Left him holding the bag as her way of saying good-bye when she walked out on him. Hates her as much as he still loves her.

Let's Noir the poo poo out of this.

I'm voting for this one for maximum Noir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
While we're turning frivolous detective-based video games into high-stakes noir...

Name: Richard "Dick" Stevenson
Quirk: Relentless but is easily spooked by gunfire.
Motivation: When Carmen Sandiego stole the Black Panther diamonds then FBI-agent Stevenson was the man assigned to the case. To throw the agent off her trail Carmen Sandiego had his daughter Jennifer kidnapped. Jennifer's body was later found in a burnt out car in upstate New York and Dick has been living in a bottle ever since, but now that Carmen has resurfaced he's doing everything he can to get assigned to the case...

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

RickVoid posted:

Holy poo poo. No matter what suggestions we give, this is going to be amazing. The Horrible Secret of Animal Crossing is what sucked me into LP in the first place, and I loved the poo poo out of Carmen Sandiego as a kid.

Quirk: Professional cat-burglar turned Cop. A kleptomaniac by nature, has to work very hard to keep himself under control.
Motivation: Carmen is his estranged ex-wife. Left him holding the bag as her way of saying good-bye when she walked out on him. Hates her as much as he still loves her.

Yeah, this one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Desmodae posted:

Name: Howard Phillips
Quirk: Prone to hallucinations and paranoid delusions.
Motivation: He's convinced that Carmen has stolen something beyond the ken of mortal men.

This is the only worthy suggestion. Here's to the eternally terrified detective.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
We all know there's only one man who has what it takes to hunt down Carmen Sandiego. There's only one man as far at the top of his game as she is. Some say he's just a tourist; others, an explorer; some even believe he's a time traveller. Whatever the case, he shows up. Thousands of photographs in thousands of locations, and there he is: calmly standing among the crowd as if nothing was wrong with the world. He was at Dallas in 1963, in New York in 2011, in Berlin in 1989.

And for all that he's a tricky man to find, he's one of ours now.

Name: Wallace "Waldo" Williams.
Quirk: Chaos and destruction follow in his footsteps.
Motivation: The thrill of hunting down his greatest rival.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

A+ art, Chewbot. I'm looking forward to actually being able to participate in one of your crazy rides this time. :allears:

Name: Joey Mallone
Quirk: When overstressed, compulsively stabs the nearest thing that is squishy. His stress-relief knife is named Martha.
Reason for Joining: I'm going to second whoever voted for mistaken identity.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

RickVoid posted:

Waldo is tempting, but I'm gonna go with this.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think we need to turn something on it's head. Since Chewbot has said he's probably going to mix and match anyway...

Quirk: Extreme Teetotal. Refuses any sort of addictive substance, not even coffee.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Elfface posted:

Since Chewbot has said he's probably going to mix and match anyway...
I think having multiple personalities would be able to mix more and less matching needed.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I thought of something better

Name:Teddy
Quirk: Can only communicate in primitive grunts and growls as a result if being raised by hyperintelligent chimps
Motivation: To prove himself to his estranged father

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

RickVoid posted:

There is no way we can't go with this.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Quirk: Cracks his knuckles at dramatic moments, but never actually uses his fists to fight anyone.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

RickVoid posted:

This is brilliant, voting for this.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

RickVoid posted:

:swoon: Voting this. :swoon:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

RickVoid posted:

I am in love with this idea.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Hold on, I think I have the best suggestion

Name: Meme "Goony Reference To Another LP" McTiredjoke
Quirk: The most stunning lack of creativity ever
Motivation: All your case are belong to us

Seriously, this is 95% of the suggestions in this thread.

RickVoid posted:

This fits really well. It's as campy as it is appropriate for the art style. Please go with this instead of yet another boring hilarious reference to some previous LP some nerd can't let go of.

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
This is gonna be good.

RickVoid posted:

and for maximum Noir I vote for this.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Here's yours

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Name: King Dick
Quirk: Hates anything that isn't 100% original
Motivation: Anonymity over the internet and :10bux:

Love your art Chewbot, it fits the genre so well!

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Here's yours

No, he's right. The vast majority of the suggestions are completely uninspired goon garbage of the Zybourne Clock variety.

RickVoid's idea is just brilliant, though. I hope it's chosen.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Man, I'm just trying to get some love for the father of the Noir genre.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

RickVoid posted:

^^^^ Either this

Whybird posted:

We all know there's only one man who has what it takes to hunt down Carmen Sandiego. There's only one man as far at the top of his game as she is. Some say he's just a tourist; others, an explorer; some even believe he's a time traveller. Whatever the case, he shows up. Thousands of photographs in thousands of locations, and there he is: calmly standing among the crowd as if nothing was wrong with the world. He was at Dallas in 1963, in New York in 2011, in Berlin in 1989.

And for all that he's a tricky man to find, he's one of ours now.

Name: Wallace "Waldo" Williams.
Quirk: Chaos and destruction follow in his footsteps.
Motivation: The thrill of hunting down his greatest rival.

^^^^ or this

I honestly don't care which.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Waldo Sandiego

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RickVoid posted:

One more vote for this.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

RickVoid posted:

Voting for this. I really want to see what you do with this LP because that prologue was awesome.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

RickVoid posted:

This, I change my vote to this. This is too noir.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RickVoid posted:

Yes yes yes YES.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

RickVoid posted:

Voting this

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

RickVoid posted:

Oh my god this is going to be amazing

voting this

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RickVoid posted:

I think we've found our winner. This one

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

RickVoid posted:

Forget my previous vote, I'm supporting this.

It just fits so well.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Name: Richard Butt
Quirk: An unfortunate physical deformity.
Motivation: Barely-suppressed rage at the world.

Nah just go with Mr. Sandiego.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
I also agree that RickVoid's suggestion is excellent and I'm thinking about how to integrate some of this.

Also, if your suggestions weren't chosen, fear not! There are going to be lots of characters in this LP and I'll probably nick ideas from the last three pages. So much good stuff!

Update later today.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Name: Otis "Ophelia" Balzac
Quirk: Often loses her temper and composure, especially when confronted with sexism. Is always dressed to kill.
Motivation: Ophelia, still legally Otis until the paperwork goes through, was born as a woman in a man's body. She wants to prove that dames can solve crimes just as good as any of the fellas. Finding Carmen Sandiego will finally show the world what broads can do, as well as help pay for Ophelia's expensive hormone therapy and surgery.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Yeah I like RickVoid's character as well. Go with him.

Let me reiterate how excited I am about getting to participate in this, let alone it existing! Godspeed, Chewbot.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Sorry about the lights in here- we keep blowing a circuit. This place is garbage. Come on.

Hale stands sharply from the keyboard, knocking his head into the lamp above, and follows the man through a door on the opposite end of the room to enter an enormous warehouse. A flock of weathered desks fill roughly a quarter of the available space, making them look particularly pathetic. The handful of similarly dressed men sitting at them raise no more than a brow in Hale’s direction.

Behold, the glory of ACME. I’m Crupper.
Hale.
Who did you piss off to end up here, Hale?
I don't know. I got the transfer papers two days ago.
That’s some rotten luck. What were you doing before?
Precinct cop on the west coast.

Crupper shakes his head.

I’d give you the grand tour but you can see everything from here.
This is the whole operation? I thought Interpol was globally funded.
You really don’t know anything about this, do you?
The last time Interpol handled its own investigations things went south and never came back. Now they hire third party agencies that aren’t so easy to track down, like ACME.
That’s bullshit though, we're Interpol. But we're bankrolled by private investors. Barely. We just don’t want certain people to notice, especially since she started whacking detectives.
She? How many detectives has she-?
Look, you pick whichever empty desk you like. Not that you’ll need one. You’ll probably be on the ground most of the time.
On the ground. Doing what, exactly?
Jesus. Come here.

Crupper leads Hale to a blackboard and erases an esoteric array of names and numbers. He replaces it with a loose outline of the world, making one mark labelled "Carmen" and adding others for her agents.

Carmen's agents steal something and runs off to god-knows-where. That’s her racket, right? Meanwhile, Carmen’s working a deal with the country’s leaders. She never touches the thing.
Here’s the messed up part. She wants us to follow her agent. They leave breadcrumbs.
Why would they do that?
Because eventually Carmen’s going to come to a deal, and when she does somebody needs to be holding the bag. Then she negotiates their release.
She’s just buying time until they can pay off the ransom? Why bother trafficking it all over the world?
Think about it. What else is she going to do? Gift-wrap a shogun’s sword and send it through Fedex? She needs a delivery man. Besides, it goes deeper than that.
Most of the stuff she steals? Completely worthless. But you ever seen what happens when some drunk frat boys steal the rival team’s mascot?
Imagine the Statue of Liberty goes missing. Half the country thinks it was Russia, the other half are convinced it was an inside cover-up. If the government lost a thousand bars of gold, nobody would bat an eye. But steal a national treasure? People lose their minds. The president ain’t going to get re-elected like that. He pays to get it back with the working man’s tax dollars, makes it look like an arrest and comes off a hero. “President rescues Lady Liberty”.
Joe Blow cracking a beer in his double-wide ain’t even heard of Carmen Sandiego. Most cops think she's an urban legend. Meanwhile, she’s sitting on a king’s ransom, already planning the next heist.
She's... pretty amazing. To pull that off.
Do we even have any leads on Carmen?

Crupper scrunches up his mouth and looks at the ground.

That’s not what we do here. What difference would it make? She never touched the thing to begin with. She’d walk.

Check your machines. You’re leaving tomorrow.
What, already?
Wait, Chief. Come on. You putting me back in the field?
We got two units already on cases. Any other senior agents around here you’d like to recommend instead?
What about O’Brien?

From a direction you don’t catch someone shouts “gently caress you, Crupper!”.

The tickets already got your name on it. Deal with it.
And Hale, rest up. You’re jumping in the deep end tomorrow.

The chief leaves. Hale watches over the shoulder of a sulking Crupper, as he checks his printer.

God dammit. I hate Russia.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 27, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Chewbot posted:

What about O’Brien?

From a direction you don’t catch someone shouts “gently caress you, Crupper!”.

:allears:

This is already going beautiful places. I've been f5'ing the thread all day, and I don't think that's going to let up for a good long while.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

You magnificent son of a bitch.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That chief is the perfect splitting image. :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Lynne Thigpen will always be the head of ACME to me. Thank you so very much for that. That was beautiful. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm getting a decidedly Archer vibe from all of this.

What I mean is, this is awesome.

• Locked thread