Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

bullshit anime steampunk crap.

Is this a dig at Eberron? Because it's got its own problems but gently caress you if you don't like trains powered by fire elementals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Hog Butcher posted:

why do people even like the forgotten realms
because everyone wants to be a rad wizard (see ancient imaskar / netheril, red wizards, manshoon, etc) and also cult of the dragon own because they are loving retards who get up to some serious poo poo

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

I want this game to have honest-to-god video game romance subplots, but only because I want Obsidian to completely trounce Bioware in yet another category

me too but I think the devs are pretty creeped out by people demanding romance in general and so they aren't doing it

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
lol they called the third baldur's gate pillars of eternity

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

me too but I think the devs are pretty creeped out by people demanding romance in general and so they aren't doing it

huh I was always weirded out by it when playing, too

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
bioware "romances" are really creepy because you can just kind of feel who they were marketed to by playing them, yeah. I remember sexing Liara in ME1 because not sexing her basically required you be a constant needless dick to her and all I could think was "this is what Bioware thinks I want. this is who they think I am as a person"

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

but the worst part of that feeling is realizing "actually this is what THEY want but can't otherwise express"

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

bioware "romances" are really creepy because you can just kind of feel who they were marketed to by playing them, yeah. I remember sexing Liara in ME1 because not sexing her basically required you be a constant needless dick to her and all I could think was "this is what Bioware thinks I want. this is who they think I am as a person"

iirc her romance subplot is activated by talking to her after she does her mind meld thingie the first time and you go check up on her when she nearly fainted by doing so

it really weirded me out back then

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

also the part where I compliment the tough soldier chick for doing a good job and she gets all tee-hee shepard-senpai finally noticed me thing

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

now that I think about I can't think of any harem anime this shameful and stupid

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.
I like everything I'm hearing about this game so far but the "any build is viable" talk has me a little worried. I'm pretty sure they said the same thing about Dragon Age 1+2 and their way of accomplishing that was making all of the classes super generic in function.

As long as they just make Baldur's Gate 3 it should be fine tho

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's to bad you only get the choices of either every build is basically the same thing or only one build is worth using.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Grakdesh posted:

I like everything I'm hearing about this game so far but the "any build is viable" talk has me a little worried. I'm pretty sure they said the same thing about Dragon Age 1+2 and their way of accomplishing that was making all of the classes super generic in function.

I don't care much for it, especially the muscle wizard example he keeps bringing up, since it makes sense to me that a stupid wizard would be a bad wizard since they wouldn't be able to take in the knowledge you need to be a good wizard. However, your party will still need to be balanced (it's nice that your barbarian can have larger AoEs, but if everyone focuses on large AoEs you're going to lack damage.)

Josh Sawyer is also good at CRPGs, and he seems to think things through, so he deserves the benefit of the doubt, IMO.

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

Grakdesh posted:

That's not true at all about Dragon Age.

In the 2nd one they even highlighted which two stats you should put points into for each class through equipment requirements since I guess too many people couldn't figure it out in the first one.

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.
I don't remember much about Dragon Age tbh so it was probably a bad example. I just remember that when I tried playing a different classes it seemed like it didn't really change how the game played at all or how my character progressed (unless you were a mage I think) even though that was one of the games biggest selling points at launch.

The more I try to recall about DA 1/2 the more I realize how forgettable they both were.

Zigoot
Jan 30, 2008

Its too late your money is gay now

Grakdesh posted:

He did say you need to play to the specific strengths of the weird build you decide to make. Hopefully that means every stat / item / spell / etc. is useful in some way to every class but you still can't just throw together random garbage and hope to faceroll your way to victory.

Dec 26, 2012

the main thing is that each stat does the same thing for each class: might always affects damage, intellect always affects aoe size/duration of effects, dexterity always affects accuracy, its not like d&d where each class has a very specific set of stuff to raise. so theoretically you can build around what you want to emphasize. no idea how that actually will work out in practice and im sure it will be horribly unbalanced in some key way but there you go

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
all I care about is that wizards can wear armor. gonna be a giant tank that throws explosions at things in bad rear end full plate

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

This game looks really fine and I can't wait to play it.

I won't be playing beta so I want each and every one of you to be the bitchiest motherfuckers around and fine tune combat for me, thanks!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Doctor Goat posted:

planescape is the coolest setting

tru that i cannot believe they got rid of it goddamn dungeons and dragons guys

also anyone who thinks things need to be more 'DOTA2' to be better is an idiot or taint reaper

Dec 26, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

all I care about is that wizards can wear armor. gonna be a giant tank that throws explosions at things in bad rear end full plate

early on they were saying that was gonna a thing, no idea if it survived to the current mechanics

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
well I don't think wizards give a poo poo about armor weighing down their attacks because they just spam spells all day, so probably still viable.

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.
I always thought spelljammer sounded cool, or that one campaign setting that's basically transylvania but I only know about them anecdotally so they might be stupid.

Dec 26, 2012

they have cool concepts and are cool settings and as with nearly every d&d thing are kind of lovely in the actual rules-execution

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Spelljammer would own real hard as a video game as long as they went whole-hog with the giant space hamsters and giffs and poo poo and didn't just do a standard sci-fi setting but the vulcans are literally elves instead of just metaphorically elves

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

SunAndSpring posted:

well I don't think wizards give a poo poo about armor weighing down their attacks because they just spam spells all day, so probably still viable.

Armor makes you have a bigger recovery period between actions. There's nothing stopping you from putting a wizard in heavy armor I don't think. There are even spells to help them be a bad rear end melee combatant.

americong
May 29, 2013

I've played just a bare taste of this sort of game, what should I start on

take "this sort of game" to be relatively loosely defined - P:T is included, for instance, as are diablolikes

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

americong posted:

take "this sort of game" to be relatively loosely defined - P:T is included, for instance, as are diablolikes

Darklands.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Big Head Mode FTW.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I guess I'll have to be a wizard or a rogue because I'm one of those really retarded fuckers who get all upset if the AI companions do more damage than my character. :911: I'm the hero of this game, not them

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

SunAndSpring posted:

I guess I'll have to be a wizard or a rogue because I'm one of those really retarded fuckers who get all upset if the AI companions do more damage than my character. :911: I'm the hero of this game, not them

Depends on what you mean by damage. Rogue and Ranger have the biggest single target burst, barbs do tons of aoe damage, fighters can do consistent high damage over time, i think.

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.

americong posted:

Baldur's Gate*
Baldur's Gate 2
Icewind Dale 2
uhhh maybe Temple of Elemental Evil if its on GOG
NWN 1+2 maybe but they didn't hold my interest
Arcanum
Fallout 1+2*

*Play BG1 and then immediately play 2, otherwise skip the first one entirely. BG1 isn't bad but 2 is so much better that you might find it frustrating to move backwards in the series. Same for Fallout.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
BG1 is bad.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Fallout 1 is a lot better than Fallout 2, except for the interface.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
The NWNs are bad except for Mask of the Betrayer, ToEE is ok if you're really into D&D 3.5 combat, but everything else is fairly bad about it, Arcanum has some cool setting and story stuff but absolutely garbage gamepla

Dec 26, 2012

Ragg posted:

BG1 is bad.

Ragg posted:

Fallout 1 is a lot better than Fallout 2, except for the interface.

Ragg posted:

The NWNs are bad except for Mask of the Betrayer, ToEE is ok if you're really into D&D 3.5 combat, but everything else is fairly bad about it, Arcanum has some cool setting and story stuff but absolutely garbage gamepla

cosigned

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Play arcanum, make either a throwing tech character with chakrams and molotovs, or make a mage that casts harm and whatever because who the gently caress cares you have a level one spell that kills everything forever.

HeyCrapOnThis
Jul 3, 2002

I just want you to know every time I see this thread I think someone made a thread about me and I freak out because I'm sure it's someone calling me out for being a bad poster

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Ragg posted:

BG1 is bad.

at the time it was the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Pizzatime posted:

at the time it was the poo poo

and it still is