Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ragg posted:

The NWNs are bad except for Mask of the Betrayer, ToEE is ok if you're really into D&D 3.5 combat, but everything else is fairly bad about it, Arcanum has some cool setting and story stuff but absolutely garbage gamepla

mask of the betrayer was loving awesome. would eat souls again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
why would you ever not eat all the souls you could? are you a vegetarian or something?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I really enjoyed NWN1 when it came out, but I never beat the campaign. And I tried like 5-6 times, that poo poo just got old man.

Also

Falsum posted:

Josh Sawyer is also good at CRPGs, and he seems to think things through, so he deserves the benefit of the doubt, IMO.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

SunAndSpring posted:

I guess I'll have to be a wizard or a rogue because I'm one of those really retarded fuckers who get all upset if the AI companions do more damage than my character. :911: I'm the hero of this game, not them
Fond memories of taking a berserker through the BG series and ending up outclassing virtually everything else by virtue of a ridiculous THAC0, the Crom Faeyr, the Cloak of Mirroring and HLAs

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

neverwinter nights is good, just skip straight to the expansions

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Dwight Evans posted:

neverwinter nights is good, just skip straight to the expansions
Just Hordes of the Underdark, Shadows of Undrentide is dreadful (and I'm a big loving spineless BioWare apologist who actually completed the NWN OC more than once, so that's saying something)

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I rerolled Sourceror because I knew that no matter how good my Mage was, he could never ever be as good as Edwin with his magical necklace.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

maev posted:

I rerolled Sourceror because I knew that no matter how good my Mage was, he could never ever be as good as Edwin with his magical necklace.

Thank you.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Ragg posted:

The NWNs are bad except for Mask of the Betrayer, ToEE is ok if you're really into D&D 3.5 combat, but everything else is fairly bad about it, Arcanum has some cool setting and story stuff but absolutely garbage gamepla

The expansions for NWN1 were decent.

e: Maybe I should actually read a thread before posting.

Dec 26, 2012

Sombrerotron posted:

Just Hordes of the Underdark, Shadows of Undrentide is dreadful (and I'm a big loving spineless BioWare apologist who actually completed the NWN OC more than once, so that's saying something)

sou is way better than the oc, but still not very good

americong
May 29, 2013

I tried to install baldurs gate trilogy through wine, it was too hard with all the ~necessary~ mods

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

01011001 posted:

sou is way better than the oc, but still not very good
As long as we are agreed that SoU is not worth playing

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Bored of the Underdark.

Dec 26, 2012

Sombrerotron posted:

As long as we are agreed that SoU is not worth playing

every nwn is loving terrible mechanically and the writing is not terribly good in all but motb so i cant really recommend any except that one

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Bring back rolling digital dice at character creation for an hour straight in an attempt to get 18 points for every stat

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Sombrerotron posted:

Bring back rolling digital dice at character creation for an hour straight in an attempt to get 18 points for every stat

Random stats and HP and anything else permanent are the worst things ever.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
If you're gonna play Baldur's Gate 1, make sure to turn cheats on so you can use Power Word; Ctrl+J. Seriously there's a lot of walking around in forests and grasslands and big loving cities while nothing happens, it's much more tolerable to just teleport everywhere.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

DoubleDonut posted:

If you're gonna play Baldur's Gate 1, make sure to turn cheats on so you can use Power Word; Ctrl+J. Seriously there's a lot of walking around in forests and grasslands and big loving cities while nothing happens, it's much more tolerable to just teleport everywhere.

Nice cheat avoiding random encounters and possibly breaking triggers? I dunno, it's a good idea. Also random encounters are hosed if you don't play original BG but playing without highlight is probably a nightmare.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ragg posted:

Nice cheat avoiding random encounters and possibly breaking triggers?

Man if you want to fight fifteen gnolls and/or that guy who says "So I kicked him in the head 'til he was dead!" eighty times over the course of the game be my guest, but I'm fine with skipping the tedium to play the actual game.

(Also it only breaks triggers in really specific spots, by which I mean I played the whole game twice abusing the hell out of it and never broke anything)

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Ragg posted:

Nice cheat avoiding random encounters and possibly breaking triggers? I dunno, it's a good idea. Also random encounters are hosed if you don't play original BG but playing without highlight is probably a nightmare.
The joys of pixel-hunting for that one buried suit of Ankheg armour

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

DoubleDonut posted:

Man if you want to fight fifteen gnolls and/or that guy who says "So I kicked him in the head 'til he was dead!" eighty times over the course of the game be my guest, but I'm fine with skipping the tedium to play the actual game.

(Also it only breaks triggers in really specific spots, by which I mean I played the whole game twice abusing the hell out of it and never broke anything)

The tedium is part of the actual game, which is why BG1 is bad.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Ragg posted:

Above all they're pointless because you can just save scum / reroll until you get the stats you want. This is why NWN2 gives you the highest hp you could have rolled on your hit dice when you level up.

Dec 26, 2012

Ragg posted:

it took me too long to realize this, but im glad i did because its true

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.

maev posted:

Running w/ a mage and a sorceror in your 6-man is the best. All the ultility you need + 8 fireballs a day.

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.

americong posted:

I tried to install baldurs gate trilogy through wine, it was too hard with all the ~necessary~ mods

Quite a few of those are unneccessary now that the Enchanced Edition™ has been released on steam.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Your clinically retarded if you want to give Josh Sawyer "rope kid" any money after every Obsidian/Black Isle disaster over the past 20 years.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
They made a bunch of excellent CRPGs though.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Pizzatime posted:

and it still is

BG 1 is an awesome D and D campaign that is ran by an obnoxious ubernerd that wont leave your basement...

Seriously, who the gently caress thought it was fun to have the main PC be unressurectable and that you could end up with 1 hp on character creation....

What is also not fun is getting killed by a wolf over and over and over again

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Sounds like low level 2nd edition alright.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Captain Gordon posted:

BG 1 is an awesome D and D campaign that is ran by an obnoxious ubernerd that wont leave your basement...

Seriously, who the gently caress thought it was fun to have the main PC be unressurectable and that you could end up with 1 hp on character creation....

What is also not fun is getting killed by a wolf over and over and over again

It's Bossfights all the way, BG was special like that, even in 2 you can open the wrong door 10 minutes in and oops tpk from a mage who can cast Gate.

americong
May 29, 2013

I got it installed and died to the dude in the house in the tutorial area

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Another BG1 protip: make a mage and cast Sleep on everything, it's insanely strong at low levels, which almost all of BG1 is.

Ask me for more cool tips and hot tricks about BG1, a game which is not even nearly as good as BG2

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

americong posted:

I got it installed and died to the dude in the house in the tutorial area
Welcome to BG

EDIT:

DoubleDonut posted:

Another BG1 protip: make a mage and cast Sleep on everything, it's insanely strong at low levels, which almost all of BG1 is.

Ask me for more cool tips and hot tricks about BG1, a game which is not even nearly as good as BG2
Bigger BG1 protip: get Algernon's cloak and dire charm your way through the entire game.

americong
May 29, 2013

does bg have any sort of awesome endgame build sort of thing, or should I be instead looking for fun in the lowlevel hacky bullshit I can put together

I'll be disappointed if it's something lame like pathfinder all-in-on-magic-missile mages

e: except, magic missile mages are awesome in tabletop, but would be boring in a video game

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

americong posted:

looking for fun in the lowlevel hacky bullshit I can put together

Herein lies your quest

Minsc and Boo stand ready

americong
May 29, 2013

loving old people and their video games that expect me to think

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

americong posted:

does bg have any sort of awesome endgame build sort of thing, or should I be instead looking for fun in the lowlevel hacky bullshit I can put together

I'll be disappointed if it's something lame like pathfinder all-in-on-magic-missile mages

e: except, magic missile mages are awesome in tabletop, but would be boring in a video game
BG1 doesn't really let you get to a sufficiently high level, and doesn't throw enough magical items at you, to become an absurd murder monster at the end of the game; that's really BG2/ToB's forte

Solo a dual-classed kensai/mage and watch that fucker destroy everything within seconds by the end of the series

americong
May 29, 2013

Sombrerotron posted:

BG1 doesn't really let you get to a sufficiently high level, and doesn't throw enough magical items at you, to become an absurd murder monster at the end of the game; that's really BG2/ToB's forte

Solo a dual-classed kensai/mage and watch that fucker destroy everything within seconds by the end of the series

I have the trilogy mod (amongst others) installed, will that interact weirdly with that specific suggestion

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

americong posted:

I have the trilogy mod (amongst others) installed, will that interact weirdly with that specific suggestion
Dunno, never tried the trilogy mod as I understood there were some problems with it

However I have used Baldur's Gate TuTu, which combines BG1's content with BG2's engine and mechanics, and it's perfectly fine to use BG2's kits and level up beyond BG1's level cap there so probably the same applies to the trilogy mod

Regardless just knock yourself out doing weird and cool things (make a wild mage in BG1 and randomly cast spells just to see if something funny will happen), if things go wrong you can always reload or fix some stuff with Shadow Keeper probably

EDIT: actually make a whole party of wild mages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americong
May 29, 2013

Sombrerotron posted:

Dunno, never tried the trilogy mod as I understood there were some problems with it

However I have used Baldur's Gate TuTu, which combines BG1's content with BG2's engine and mechanics, and it's perfectly fine to use BG2's kits and level up beyond BG1's level cap there so probably the same applies to the trilogy mod

Regardless just knock yourself out doing weird and cool things (make a wild mage in BG1 and randomly cast spells just to see if something funny will happen), if things go wrong you can always reload or fix some stuff with Shadow Keeper probably

EDIT: actually make a whole party of wild mages

I saw wild mage in the char creation dialog and was tempted to try but I didn't have the stones

• Locked thread