Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swill
Feb 3, 2005

DORK SIDED
I've lived in Cambridge for the last 5 years. Echoing the poster above, nightlife is pretty bleak. There are a few generic clubs dotted around the centre of the city, but mostly in the form of cocktail bars with a few dancefloors here and there. I can't comment about them too much though experience so I'll skip over that part.

In regards to living arrangements - I assume you mean you're on around £20k? Expect just under half of your take-home pay to go on rent alone. If you're a student you probably won't need to worry about council tax. For a studio apartment set aside around £650-700 per month all in if you plan to live in actual Cambridge.

If you're going to be working or going to and from Addenbrookes a lot, consider looking for somewhere to live in Cherry Hinton - it's a district at the southern end of the city and affords you a minor break from the huge rental prices, though you may struggle to find much other than house shares there. The same applies to the town of Milton, which is on the other side of the A14 and could probably be considered part of Cambridge.

People-wise... more or less what you can expect from a city built around a prestigious university. A fair few eccentric types, high-brow academics, lots of guys in chinos, dress shoes and blazers. I've never been to the university and struggle to find much common ground with most in the city, but that's my experience only. I'm sure they're nice enough though.

Also I hope you like huge groups asian and europian tourists. :)

I'll add a bit more to this post if I think of anything more constructive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread