Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I was given the opportunity to complete my PhD at Cambridge University. Pending my visa, I'll be moving come late September/Early October.

I haven't had a chance to visit or even talk to anyone who's lived there. All I really know is that (a) it's small, and even whiter than the pacific northwest, and (b) there's a train to london.

I need to make living arrangements. I'm getting paid fairly well (a little over 20K) due to a combination of fellowships and visa requirements. I want to live close enough to the medical campus that I can walk to work and the gym, but also central enough such that I can easily get to the trains and what nightlife destinations there are. Plussss I'd like to live alone, in a studio or a mother in law.

My other concern is.. well, nightlife and the people. Music, especially. I'm not a huge fan of indie-ish stuff, EDM, or pop - I like hip-hop, R&B, and reggae/dance hall. Are there any places in cambridge that play this kind of music? Is there even anything beyond pubs? How reasonable is it for me to travel to and from London for a night out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Technically I'll be considered an employee. It's complicated, but it's a combination of remaining a PhD student at my US institution and Cambridge's study abroad restrictions. Turns out I'll be making a little over £26k... How is Council tax handled? How does credit verification work for renting apartments?

I noticed that Craigslist is pretty much nonexistent in Cambridge. If I wanted to find a sublet for a month, what'd be the best site to look at?

For cell service, if I wanted a plan with text and Internet, what should I budget? What providers are decent?

Grocery shopping- what are my options for bulk foods? I'm used to running to Costco every two weeks and stocking up on meats and dairy...

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 30, 2014

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

How much are utilities typically?

Is there an equivalent to craigslist for internet classifieds?

Duh. Gumtree.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 17, 2014

• Locked thread