Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/07/catherine_video_game_the_most_sexist_platformer_of_all_time.html

quote:

Catherine is a bellwether for what tech culture and gaming have come to mean for a lot of men: a safe playspace from the realities that they believe women force on them. Having internalized the critique that video games are escapist fantasies for men, Catherine shows you how superior the fantasy is to reality, then mocks you for taking it seriously. Real gamers, it says, come back to the video game fantasy because they’ve got nothing else going on—oh, and real women are freaking scary. No wonder, then, that guy gamers often treat the presence of real women in gaming like an alien invasion. Gaming is where men go to escape from women.

Only three years too late, Slate! Next week: "Golly, Leisure Suit Larry Certainly Has a poo poo View on Women, Doesn't It!?!?" followed by "Have You SEEN How Sexualized and Infantalized Women Are in Videogames???? Boy!"

also in before "haha, you read slate"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
sexist or sexiest

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
have we gotten past the idea that sex is inherently demeaning to women yet or do I have to ignore videogame sex discussions some more?

Dec 26, 2012

haha, you read slate

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Theyre gonna have a lot of words to write when they discover Custer's Revenge.

Pygmy Pyrosaur
Jun 29, 2007

Welcome to
Kitty City

Action Tortoise posted:

Theyre gonna have a lot of words to write when they discover Japan

ftfy

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i'm more interested in women's video GAMS, know what i'm sayin.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
one step away from being a foot fetishist; a shameful fetishist

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
The strippers from gta 5

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Isn't Catherine a game about a man's fear of commitment in relationships?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Why is the guy with horns? Shouldn't it be Katherine since she's getting cucked?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Falsum posted:

Isn't Catherine a game about a man's fear of commitment in relationships?

Yeah but it's also about block pushing puzzles and they're really good block pushing puzzles

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
IF you're into pushing blocks like I am, catherine is definitely the game to play.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

fronz posted:

IF you're into pushing blocks like I am, catherine is definitely the game to play.

Nah, resident evil

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
catherine is a pro game but not because of the anime

if you've never played the mulitplayer, you're missing out

the number of ways you can utterly gently caress your opponent is hysterical

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

fronz posted:

Yeah but it's also about block pushing puzzles and they're really good block pushing puzzles

Those block pushing puzzles make my nips hard

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

matrix ripoff posted:

catherine is a pro game but not because of the anime

if you've never played the mulitplayer, you're missing out

the number of ways you can utterly gently caress your opponent is hysterical

Haven't played it yet but the bonus stages are really really good. That little arcade game that's available in-game is a real mindbender too

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

quote:

Real gamers, it says, come back to the video game fantasy because they’ve got nothing else going on—oh, and real women are freaking scary. No wonder, then, that guy gamers often treat the presence of real women in gaming like an alien invasion. Gaming is where men go to escape from women.

There's a case to be made about Catherine being sexist, but it's more about the lovely ending of the story, not this garbage. This article says more about its author than anything that the game itself has to say.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i've never had as many full-on, clutching my stomach, full-blast belly laughs as i've had playing catharine multiplayer with my brother

except while also playing rayman origins/legends

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
lets just talk about catherine instead of the stupid article.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

I never played the multiplayer I didn't even know there was one :(

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
i was invested in catharine's story to a certain point and then i just wanted to see what gross-rear end id-monster came up next

certain levels i had to watch a youtube for because i am bad at videogames

in the end, yet another terrible anime cloaked over a menial game, but a game that's worth playing. grab it for a fiver

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
i dont think the story was bad. it wasnt anything special, but the voice acting was nice and i thought they did a good job on the characters, since i didn't want the various sheep to die.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
bartender was pro, but then again, all bartenders are pro, viddygame or otherwise

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Cho Aniki

e: no wait, that's just the sexiest game of all time. my bad

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
catherine is like the least sexist video game ever made

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I love how videogame journalists always seem to ignore Heavy Rain's Madison, a character who only exists to get almost raped and brutally murdered and finally to proposition sex to Ethan while his son is literally hours away of drowning

but hey david cage games are art right?

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

Cho Aniki

e: no wait, that's just the sexiest game of all time. my bad

i want to give a cho aniki game to one of these idiots and tell them "Okay, so it looks like they're all a bunch of oiled up muscle men, right? Might make a good gay-themed thinkpiece, yeah?" and then i lean in real close and whisper "What if I told you they were all transsexual genderqueers?"

it'd take a week to clean up the office

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

catherine had an ending where the dude becomes supreme ruler of hell so its ok by me

my other favorite ending was when he tells both girls to screw off and goes to space

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
i need to play catherine still.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

sharrrk posted:

catherine had an ending where the dude becomes supreme ruler of hell so its ok by me

my other favorite ending was when he tells both girls to screw off and goes to space

so basically the dude wins and the women get the short end of the stick

sounds about right

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

matrix ripoff posted:

so basically the dude wins and the women get the short end of the stick

sounds about right

idk as i recall the dude was a jerk throughout the whole game so i'd say him leaving was a net gain for katherine

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

of the women, one of them was a horrible demon from hell and the other one was more stuck with vincent then really in love with him

but yeah i can think of thousands of games more sexist than catherine. even if it kinda flops its message its at least trying to write a story with a moral involving the idea of women being people

edit: lol holy poo poo the article references the beta male/alpha male thing

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
videogame moral: be nice to women!

real world moral: be nice to people in general, regardless they have tits or not. give it a shot, maybe.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I'm sorry, but unless videogames explicitly tell me that women are people too and I should be nice to them, I cannot comprehend that notion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Falsum posted:

I'm sorry, but unless videogames explicitly tell me that women are people too and I should be nice to them, I cannot comprehend that notion.
there are people who literally think this way tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

there are people who literally think this way tho
actually okay those people wouldnt think of women as people even if a video game told them to but still

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Endorph posted:

of the women, one of them was a horrible demon from hell and the other one was more stuck with vincent then really in love with him

but yeah i can think of thousands of games more sexist than catherine. even if it kinda flops its message its at least trying to write a story with a moral involving the idea of women being people

the actual message about catherine is just "do what you actually want to, deep down", which is why it can feel like it goes against itself at the last minute because they were too lazy to change any of the cut-scenes besides literally the last five minutes.

if you/vincient really wants to a monogamous relationship then katherine was just trippin and is actually a swell gal, if you go for sleeping around forever then you get a a demon harem because anime, and if you think that both girls are dumb idiots then you go to fuckin space. if you're unable to pick consistent options with your actions up to the ending and the actual ending choices then you die or might as well be and get an intentionally lame ending

:spergin: bout anime block pushing games

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
ugh, yuck; i wouldn't gently caress this person in real life anyways - even IF they were female!!! -- a nerd, possibly one living in your neighborhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Endorph posted:

actually okay those people wouldnt think of women as people even if a video game told them to but still

Yeah, those people have very serious mental issues, and it's silly to try and turn that into "videogames turn people sexist"

• Locked thread