Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doogle
May 24, 2003

The old thread fell into the archives because progress has been eluding me. This is where I left you (if I remember correctly):

At this point the car made over 400hp, ran a sub 11 second quarter mile and started falling apart. The turbo manifold broke around the welds for the wastegate which caused me to yank the motor out and swap shells while I was waiting on the replacement. The new shell is a 1994 Civic VX hatchback, a 6 year improvement!

Updated build:

LS/VTEC 2 liter
B18a1 block with Darton sleeves
84mm forged pistons 9:1 compression
Forged rods with ARP wristpins
Equal length turbo manifold
60-1 T4 .84 A/R Turbo
Tial MVR wastegate/Tial BOV
Edlebrock Victor X intake manifold
B18C5 head
GSC Double valvesprings
GSC valve guides/valve seals
GSC valves
GSC T1 cams

While the motor was out, I decided to upgrade the valvetrain as I was still using the stock Integra Type R stuff. I bought a full valvetrain from GSC Power Division which was installed about 3 weeks ago. The machine shop ran into a problem where the valve lash couldn't be adjusted to spec. Eventually we ripped the cams out to find the problem.

All new valvetrain.

The VTEC lobe is hitting the cam girdle on the exhaust cam. Probably isn't supposed to do that.

Yeah, they are definitely hitting.

This is the intake side and how the center lobe should clear

Can you tell what the problem is with the Exhaust cam? (right side)

VTEC cam lobe measured at the smallest point on the GSC exhaust cam

VTEC cam lob measured at the smallest point on a Brian Crower stage 2 NA cam. Well there is the problem.

This is where I am now, GSC overnighted a new exhaust cam for me which I should get tomorrow or Monday. Once I get the cam I will be able to drop the motor in. I need to put the shell back together as well, I bought it complete but in pieces.

Here is a similar build with the GSC cams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMqnQDBl_Ls

doogle fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Sweet!

My friend has a similar build that I'm helping tune on Neptune.

His is a little crazier, it's a sleeved 1.9l with a crap ton of work, BC++ head and a gt35r. His setup was kinda laggy with the gt35r, I think it has a T3 hotside, why did you choose such a big hotside?

I'm going to look at an EF hatch tomorrow to make a fun daily.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:fap:

The first thread was one of the more memorable ones since I joined SA and AI, nice to see progress on Suicide Civic part the 2nd.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh I am so excited that you are back :dance:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
It's crazy how fast you can make an old Civic hatchback.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^They used to stamp 'em out by the millions, not so much any more.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Not really true. The K series motor is an absolute tank of a hunk of aluminum. People are doing all sorts of crazy poo poo, but pretty much the 90s/00s import scene was nothing but Honda B motors.

Yo doogle, we still gotta swap rides when both of our cars are working at the same time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why is the bad exhaust cam so huge? 2mm is an enormous amount to be out by. Is it designed for a different engine with a smaller cam girdle?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Phone posted:

Not really true.

It was a lame joke about how fast they came off the assembly line :downsrim:

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
I've missed this project. Having owned a B16 swapped E I am looking forward to this thread once more, seeing all the crazy poo poo that I never had the money to do when I owned it.

doogle
May 24, 2003

mafoose posted:

why did you choose such a big hotside?

Because I got the turbo for basically free. Once it goes I'll be switching to a 6262.

Phone posted:

Yo doogle, we still gotta swap rides when both of our cars are working at the same time.

Yeah buddy! As long as everything else goes as planned (probably not) mine should be done by the end of August.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why is the bad exhaust cam so huge? 2mm is an enormous amount to be out by. Is it designed for a different engine with a smaller cam girdle?

I don't know, GSC makes them in batches of 100 (at least that is what they told me) and I was the first person with this problem.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
There's lots of talk of bad GSC and Kelford cams in the Subaru world.

doogle
May 24, 2003

The new cam came in, everything seems in spec this time. I'm cleaning the head up and hopefully I will be able to adjust the valves tonight or tomorrow. Once the valves are adjusted I'll be able to put the motor in the car and then mock up the charge piping and get it welded.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I reassembled the head and adjusted the valves, I adjusted them to spec easily now that I have a cam that isn't hosed. But now I can't find where I put the shift fork for the transmission, I had to order another one. Hopefully I'll get it by Friday. Once that comes in I'll be able to put the trans on the motor and drop everything in.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

doogle posted:

now I can't find where I put the shift fork for the transmission, I had to order another one. Hopefully I'll get it by Friday. Once that comes in I'll find the one I lost

:allears:

Love your hella fast civic.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yessssssss this thread!

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Glad to see this project back and alive. :dance:

Please don't let it die again!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
A 400hp civic is the stuff dreams are made of. Godspeed.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just checked my desk to make sure somebody hadn't stolen my calipers. You're off the hook, doogle.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Picture of the shell. The paint is in very good condition but the previous owner put a carbon fiber roof, hood and hatch on it. I'll probably leave them on the car but paint them eventually. I should get the clutch fork tomorrow or Monday. I'm going to California for a couple weeks but once I'm back I should be able to finish the car in about 2 weeks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh man, I miss three-spokes being in fashion. :allears:

doogle
May 24, 2003

The parts came in today, hopefully I will be dropping the motor in tonight.

edit:

I HAD TO OVERNIGHT PARTS FROM JAPAN

doogle
May 24, 2003

Motor and trans ready to be dropped in

Car on the lift and ready for the motor

Much easier dropping the car on the motor than putting the motor in from the top.

Motor in.

Turbo and wastegate on

That is all I was able to get done today. The motor in physically in, but I still have to hook up all the ancillaries. Once I get back from vacation I should be able to finish installing the motor and get the charge piping mocked up then welded. After that I'll have to wait for the tuner to give me a date he is free. At that point all I will have to do is put the rest of the car together (rocker panels, hood, lights, bumper, traction bar) and it will be ready to drive.

doogle
May 24, 2003

The intercooler piping is almost done being mocked up, just have to figure out how to get the hot side around the traction bar. Once everything clears it will be taped up and taken to the machine shop to get welded so there will only be 4 couplers.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Charge piping is welded up to the throttle body because there wasn't enough lip to reliably hold the coupler on.

Turbo screen and sweet press fitting reference line installed.

Turbo blanket on, ceramic coated manifold and heat wrapped downpipe.

What I have left to do:

-Install Integra throttle cable
-Replace rubber hoses with ones that are long enough
-Install valve cover and catch can
-Install new fuel filter and fuel line
-Wire the boost solenoid
-Install front fender liners
-Drain fuel tank

I had to order some AN fittings for the fuel line, the old fuel filter is the lovely one that doesn't flow worth a drat so I have to convert it to a EK (96-00 civic) fuel filter. I had an old AN line so I figured I'll just buy the fittings for that while I'm at it. The worst part will be digging out an Integra throttle cable from the junk yard, hopefully it isn't too hot tomorrow.

At this rate with all the random problems that are popping up, I'll probably start the car sometime this century.

Adonis
Oct 15, 2004
Greek gods almighty!
Good luck with that steel manifold.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Adonis posted:

Good luck with that steel manifold.

I don't need luck where I'm going, I have the skill to swap manifolds in under an hour and a lifetime warranty.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

This is one of my favorite AI projects. I always wanted to do this when I was poor and had a CRX. I just built one in Forza instead and bought a Cayman.

Jealous.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

You updated just to rub Rhyno's nose in it, didn't you. Poor Rhyno is reading this with ads all over his screen yelling at his inability to post and his inability to finish the turbo Honda project he started.

I had a base Civic like that when they were new and before any "scene" at all existed. I shudder to think what I would have done with that poor car if turbos were a thing.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I put the throttle cable on and swapped the fuel filter to a 96-00 civic style one. I just have to cut the hardline, flare it and attach it to the new filter at the bottom. My AN line has a straight connector on it so I either have to switch it to a 90 degree, or find a 90 degree AN fitting for the fuel filter. I ordered all the hoses which should get here tomorrow as well. Hopefully I'll have the fuel system finished tomorrow, if I do I can drain the tank, fill it up with some good gas and fire it up.

-Wire the boost solenoid
-Wire the wideband
-Drain fuel tank

doogle
May 24, 2003

I didn't take any pictures but I did a few things:

-Wire the boost solenoid
-Wire the wideband
-Drain fuel tank

I'm going to try to drain the tank and finish that fuel line tomorrow, if I do I should be able to start the car. Hopefully. Probably not.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hey what redline are you looking to hit with this?

doogle
May 24, 2003

revmoo posted:

Hey what redline are you looking to hit with this?

I'll have to see how the powerband falls, but most likely around 10k.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

doogle posted:

That's impressive. If something bad happens we want picks. If it works perfectly we want even more pics. This is great stuff.

doogle
May 24, 2003

I'm pretty busy at work so things are going slow. I got the fuel line completed now at least. I somehow broke the flaring tool and had to get a new one so it took a couple days. I found a couple more things I'm going to have to do before this bitch is done too:

-Wire the boost solenoid
-Wire the wideband
-Drain fuel tank
-Put the damper pulley on and replace alternator belt
-Pull the turbo off and rerun the water line behind the dipstick

doogle
May 24, 2003

I cannot find the damper pulley, I need to find it before I can start the car. The stupid things are like $300, I hope I don't have to buy another one. I'm going to tear apart the shop tomorrow looking for it, if I do I will post video of the car starting for the first time.

I also took care of some other poo poo that needed to be done eventually, the non-upgraded axle had a torn boot so I took it in to autozone and got another free replacement. Honda B series tip: only buy the upgraded passenger side axle, you can keep a stock axle on the driver's side and it will never break. Probably has something to do with the intermediate shaft or something, but every single axle that I have seen break on a B series Honda was the passenger side.

-Wire the boost solenoid
-Wire the wideband
-Drain fuel tank
-Put the damper pulley on and replace alternator belt
-Pull the turbo off and rerun the water line behind the dipstick
-Replace rear T bracket with one that isn't broken
-Replace axle
-Install extended lugs on rear hubs
-Reinstalled shifter linkage
-Add fluids and start the bitch

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've snapped a drivers side axle on a bone stock Integra before. :smith:

Automatic, at that. No warning except for a couple of pops while backing out of the driveway, then a crack (and the sound of parts hitting the ground) when I put it in drive.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

I've snapped a drivers side axle on a bone stock Integra before. :smith:

Automatic, at that. No warning except for a couple of pops while backing out of the driveway, then a crack (and the sound of parts hitting the ground) when I put it in drive.

That sounds more like someone tried to apply full throttle with the wheels locked.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

doogle posted:

A B18 can take that alright?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Hey doogle, would you mind posting or emailing me your timing map?

My friend with a similar car (B16? 10:1cr 12psi of boost from a gt35r) just did this, and so I was looking over his tune and I think he's running too much timing.

I'm surprised there isn't detonation damage on the head, must be the 110LL av gas he's running...

• Locked thread