Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

This is seriously the coolest Civic ever. I'm seconding the urge to see it hit the strip, I can only imagine how quick it'll run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Phone posted:

Yesssssss. Get hype :magical:

You only owe me because you dashed my RT4WD dreams and told me that the suspension is kinda poo poo.

Explain the RT4WD dreams comment - I have a RT4WD I want to get stupid with at some point and I'm hoping there's no terrible secret here. :(

doogle
May 24, 2003

Tremek posted:

Explain the RT4WD dreams comment - I have a RT4WD I want to get stupid with at some point and I'm hoping there's no terrible secret here. :(

As long as you have a '88 or newer, the suspension is pretty much the same as an EF civic. The older ones have a torsion bar rear set up while the 88+ has independent front and rear suspension. You're better off sticking with a D series motor to keep the 4WD, otherwise you're either going to spend a lot of money converting to a CRV drivetrain or some other crazy conversion stuff I haven't looked into. Then you'll also run into the main problem I had with sticking a turbo B18 into an EF, space.

That being said, a turbo D16z6 in a '88+ Wagovan would be pretty sweet and a basic piston/rods D16z6 build can make ~250 WHP without breaking. I'm just not sure how much power the awesome 5.5 speed transmission can hold.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Awesome numbers dude!

I got the file, just had a ridiculously busy weekend. I'll ask him about his cams, I got to ride in his eg on Saturday, it's really neutered right now for break in but it is still pretty fast!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
OMG, thanks for revitalizing my RT4WD dreams. I thought that the late model ones had a torsion beam in the back too. :aaaaa:

e: I take it that something like a Garrett 2554 or 2560 is basically perfect for the D16?
e2: double gently caress, I wish I had my xmas bonus http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/4690058301.html

Phone fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 7, 2014

doogle
May 24, 2003

Phone posted:

OMG, thanks for revitalizing my RT4WD dreams. I thought that the late model ones had a torsion beam in the back too. :aaaaa:

e: I take it that something like a Garrett 2554 or 2560 is basically perfect for the D16?
e2: double gently caress, I wish I had my xmas bonus http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/4690058301.html

I'd probably do a 2554 for the quicker spool. You can't rev out a turbo D series like you can a VTEC B series unless you spend some money, you'd be looking at around 7500 RPM for the basic rods/piston turbo build.

edit:

Bajaha posted:

I really want to see you take this to the drag strip and see what kind of times it puts down. This thing is crazy as a regular daily driven civic, probably gets a lot of looks when you crack the throttle.

I've skimmed the last little bit, and it's not like you need more power, but have you looked into e85? I wish it was more available up north here to just see how much of a difference it is, watching the latest mighty car mods gramps episode they had some impressive gains just switching to the higher ethanol blend and playing with timing.

What I'm saying is, make this thing completely undrivable :black101:

I don't have easy access to E85 where I am, otherwise all my cars and probably my lawn mower would run it. There are a few stations around, but the closest one is about 40 miles away.

I'll probably do either E85 or C16 down the line, but I need a lot of seat time first to get used to the power it makes now.

doogle fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 7, 2014

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

doogle posted:

As long as you have a '88 or newer, the suspension is pretty much the same as an EF civic. The older ones have a torsion bar rear set up while the 88+ has independent front and rear suspension. You're better off sticking with a D series motor to keep the 4WD, otherwise you're either going to spend a lot of money converting to a CRV drivetrain or some other crazy conversion stuff I haven't looked into. Then you'll also run into the main problem I had with sticking a turbo B18 into an EF, space.

That being said, a turbo D16z6 in a '88+ Wagovan would be pretty sweet and a basic piston/rods D16z6 build can make ~250 WHP without breaking. I'm just not sure how much power the awesome 5.5 speed transmission can hold.

Sweet, that's what I was thinking. I have a D16Z6 block I'm slowly dismantling in my garage while I drive my otherwise unmolested '91 back and forth from the airport. 250whp would still be stupid amounts of fun in this go-kart.

The fun begins soon, however. Coilovers get here this week and I have '91 EX steering knuckles and big brakes sitting in a box in the garage waiting for it. :)

/sorry to hijack, just excited about Civics is all

doogle
May 24, 2003

I got the transmission back, 1st and 2nd were shimmed backwards. I also needed to get a new linkage and bushing so I ordered those through the dealer, and I should get them tomorrow. Now I'm just waiting on the ECU to come back from getting socketed and the car will be road worthy (relatively). It is even legal! Passed the NC state inspection somehow so it has plates. I was thinking about getting TQSTEER again, or can you guys think of a better one? 2SOONJR is taken or I would have gotten that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odwnpFwuwF8

Tremek posted:

Sweet, that's what I was thinking. I have a D16Z6 block I'm slowly dismantling in my garage while I drive my otherwise unmolested '91 back and forth from the airport. 250whp would still be stupid amounts of fun in this go-kart.

The fun begins soon, however. Coilovers get here this week and I have '91 EX steering knuckles and big brakes sitting in a box in the garage waiting for it. :)

/sorry to hijack, just excited about Civics is all

250whp would make it a mid to low 12 second car with tires and a good launch.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

doogle posted:

I got the transmission back, 1st and 2nd were shimmed backwards. I also needed to get a new linkage and bushing so I ordered those through the dealer, and I should get them tomorrow. Now I'm just waiting on the ECU to come back from getting socketed and the car will be road worthy (relatively). It is even legal! Passed the NC state inspection somehow so it has plates. I was thinking about getting TQSTEER again, or can you guys think of a better one? 2SOONJR is taken or I would have gotten that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odwnpFwuwF8

250whp would make it a mid to low 12 second car with tires and a good launch.

Next best option of SMOKEEM?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYSYEuRPR4Q&t=23s

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

doogle posted:

TIRSLYR maybe? Although Tremek's suggestion is pretty great too :v:

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

This is a how a tuned Civic should be done. I love it.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Plate is: 2SOONJNR. Somehow that wasn't taken. I'm putting the hood and aero catch latches on tomorrow along with the new shift linkage and shifter bushings. Hopefully the new ECU gets in next week so I can start driving this thing.

doogle
May 24, 2003

The resin coat on the carbon fiber roof and hatch was damaged from the sun since the car sat outside for so long, my friend's dad recleared it with a bit of black in the clear coat and it came out drat near perfect. I didn't get a chance to put the hood or latches on because he threw a coat of clear on the new hood as well to match it with the roof and hatch. We're going to go to the shop in the morning to finish the rest of the poo poo, then I just have to wait for the ECU.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Some rear end in a top hat rear ended me while I was driving my BMW so I haven't really gotten a chance to do anything with the civic until today. I got the ECU in so that is finally done, I got to take it down the road and scare myself a bit as well.

Carbon fiber roof, that makes this exactly the same as an M3.

The driver's side window trim kind of flew off at speed, I ordered another set to replace both sides. I'll be putting the hood on tomorrow (probably).

Almost done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNyoSpCTFIc
1000 RPM idle, it sounds much better in person.

quote:

-Install Integra throttle cable
-Replace rubber hoses with ones that are long enough
-Install valve cover and catch can
-Install new fuel filter and fuel line
-Wire the boost solenoid
-Wire the wideband

-Install front fender liners
-Drain fuel tank
-Put the damper pulley on and replace alternator belt
-Pull the turbo off and rerun the water line behind the dipstick
-Replace rear T bracket with one that isn't broken
-Replace axle
-Install extended lugs on rear hubs
-Reinstalled shifter linkage
-Add fluids and start the bitch

-Install bumper, hood, and lights
-Get a tune (11 October)
-Get the replacement ECU socketed for Hondata
-Get an alignment
-Set traction bars
-Respray side skirts

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Well, it should be impossible to get rear ended in this thing at least.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Sent the ignition maps to my friend, he did some more tweaks to the fuel table, the car is still very rich off boost, but other than that it screams!

Boils the tires through 5th, and has now broken 2 sets of half shafts. He has some beefy ones on order that haven't come in yet.

I don't think it's going to be ready for import face off this weekend sadly. I'd love to see what kind of pass it would make on some slicks!

Thanks for your help!
Your car is looking great!

doogle
May 24, 2003

I'm taking it to the track tonight, going to let off at the 1/8 to get used to it then a 1/4 mile pass and probably get kicked out!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

doogle posted:

I'm taking it to the track tonight, going to let off at the 1/8 to get used to it then a 1/4 mile pass and probably get kicked out!
They have to catch you first. :colbert:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
What's the deal with the carbon fiber roof? Is that some kind of overlay, or did someone actually remove the roof to replace it with that?

doogle
May 24, 2003

It is an actual carbon fiber roof, the metal roof is gone.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

doogle posted:

Well it doesn't have a cage does it? Aren't you a little worried about that?

You young guys and your death traps!

doogle
May 24, 2003

leica posted:

Well it doesn't have a cage does it? Aren't you a little worried about that?

You young guys and your death traps!

I live my life a quarter mile at a time.

(I'm getting a full cage, seats, and harnesses before next year, but I won't have time to get everything installed before the weather starts getting too lovely)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's been 85F in October. And besides, when it's cold out, you can run all of the boosts. :getin:

doogle
May 24, 2003

Phone posted:

It's been 85F in October. And besides, when it's cold out, you can run all of the boosts. :getin:

Are you sure you still want a ride?

On my first and only full quarter mile run it did a 11.1 @ 136 with a 2.2 60' on a 205/50/15 MT ET street drag radial and a soft launch at ~500FT DA. My tires aren't tall enough (23" tall), so I'd have to shift into 5th to get a higher trap. I hit rev limiter in 4th (~137 mph) at around the 1000'. For some reason I thought 4th gear was 125 mph at redline so I could do that a few times and not get booted, but I was wrong.

The car is impossible to get off the line, I had to short shift 1st and 2nd to stop from spinning through all the gears. I'm going to get a corner balance done to bring some more weight up front and probably some drag coilovers in the back to keep the car from squatting. My street aero wing should get here soon and I'm going to be doing some underbody work in the rear so I don't have to cut stupid holes in the bumper.

As the T shirt says, I know this car has enough horsepower because I am afraid to drive it (until I get used to it).

It weighs in at 1912 with a full tank of gas by the way. Might get a lead hood or something to get some more traction.

edit:

They quoted me 3 weeks for the cage, I'll probably have it done late November as I will be out of town for a couple weeks anyway. To make it legal I'll need an 8 point cage, window net, battery cutoff switch, and a fuckin' parachute. I'm pretty sure I can trap over 150 once the car is set up correctly with taller tires, which will be terrifying.

doogle fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 18, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Phone posted:

The problem with it being cold out is that tires don't work so well anymore either.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
Holy poo poo I had no idea you could go so drat fast in a street legal civic!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Huggable Bear King posted:

Holy poo poo I had no idea you could go so drat fast in a street legal civic!

Have you not watched drag week ever?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMr1p7w5F9I

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Cars today are stupid fast.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

doogle posted:

Are you sure you still want a ride?

Yes. Whenever I run a NASA event, you can hop in the passenger seat up at VIR.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Phone posted:

Yes. Whenever I run a NASA event, you can hop in the passenger seat up at VIR.

I'm getting a corner balance done Monday, I'm not doing anything next weekend so I can head up to Raleigh as long as nothing pops up between now and then.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Oh man. I want a ride in this ridiculous thing too.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Wrar posted:

Oh man. I want a ride in this ridiculous thing too.

Are you in NC?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Just goose the throttle and you can be anywhere in the world in under 30 minutes.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

doogle posted:

Are you in NC?
South Durham, just north of 40.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
gently caress NEAI, we're making a SEAI right here. Next weekend I think I'm polishing asmasm's Mazda3, but I'm sure that he wouldn't mind a ride in a death mobile. :v:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
There's a couple of us in the Atlanta area too. If I could break away one weekend, I'd love to ride in the deathmobile.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Phone posted:

gently caress NEAI, we're making a SEAI right here. Next weekend I think I'm polishing asmasm's Mazda3, but I'm sure that he wouldn't mind a ride in a death mobile. :v:

I should be able to make it up there Saturday around noon. I'll let you know for sure as the weekend gets closer.

Put the hood on, getting a corner balance tomorrow. The trans still isn't perfect so I'm going to take it back to the trans shop to show them, then yank the trans out in a couple months to have them fix it again.

edit:

mafoose posted:

Sent the ignition maps to my friend, he did some more tweaks to the fuel table, the car is still very rich off boost, but other than that it screams!

If he is running hondata s300 and has a wideband hooked up to the s300, he can make the car run in closed loop for the low load scenarios. There is a section in SManager called closed loop, if his wideband is calibrated properly it works great. It goes back to open loop once throttle is over x% and there is y load which is all configurable through SManager.

doogle fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 20, 2014

doogle
May 24, 2003

Well, the car leaned out, detonated and blew the head gasket. The tuner apparently didn't finish the driveability part of the tune, it was fine until I went up a slight incline at partial throttle and it started detonating. The replacement head gasket came in yesterday and we took the head off today. I'm going to get the head decked Monday just in case.

Head off.

Definitely a tuning issue, all 4 plugs read lean.

You can see the $5000 NSX on the lift, the widebody just came in for it and the windshield guy is going to replace it next week.

Since we couldn't do more to my civic until the machine shop does the head, we threw some EP3 Civic Si seats in my friend's turbo B20VTEC CRV.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Why unnecessarily deck the head if it doesn't need it? Won't that further up your compression ratio and make the tune even worse?

I've also never had luck tuning for street on a dyno, it never ends quite right. WOT and racing is fine. I usually finish drivability stuff on the street since it's all at legal speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doogle
May 24, 2003

I'm just making sure there isn't anything wrong with it. It is $20 to get it completely flat, vs blowing another $70 head gasket if it isn't. I know the block is good because it would have raised or dropped a sleeve if it wasn't. The car will not run this tune again, if the shop doesn't offer me a free retune I'll be taking it to Matt Shue in Virginia for another tune.

• Locked thread