Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Who gives a poo poo about the oranges?

I mean really, we've all been around the board like eight times, but gently caress those guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

statistically oranges are the best property

op is bitchmade

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

op is bitchmade

Don't count out my brown space hotels!

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

oranges are best

greens are worst

basically monopoly is like a hosed up banana

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

monopoly sounds fun what site is that

also railroads are the best, suck it

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

op is bitchmade

Didn't the guy who calculated that also destroy the British economy and lose most of his retirement cash because he was bad at math?

e: no wait on that board the spaces he was into were hot pink. Nevermind.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Feranon posted:

monopoly sounds fun what site is that

also railroads are the best, suck it

https://www.pogo.com

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
The gently caress are these places names?! Oranges are the best yes only they are called Vine Street, Marlborough Street and Bow Street. You can also kick some arse by trading for the low value properties early i.e. Old Kent Road and Whitechapel Road whilst everyone else is fighting for the rest its an underrated tactic, hotel that poo poo up and slowly slowly catchy monkey. Lol if you do not choose either race car or top hat.

Corvus corone
Oct 14, 2012

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

The gently caress are these places names?! Oranges are the best yes only they are called Vine Street, Marlborough Street and Bow Street. You can also kick some arse by trading for the low value properties early i.e. Old Kent Road and Whitechapel Road whilst everyone else is fighting for the rest its an underrated tactic, hotel that poo poo up and slowly slowly catchy monkey. Lol if you do not choose either race car or top hat.

do you play bizarro british monopoly or something?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
i like to play strip monopoly

everyone quits an hour or two after the first baseball cap comes off

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Corvus corone posted:

do you play bizarro british monopoly or something?

London monopoly is correct monopoly I can't even begin to describe how wrong the OPs board is e.g. the stations should be King's Cross, Marylebone, Fenchurch St. and Liverpool Street and the top value property on the board is clearly Mayfair.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

slowly slowly catchy monkey

sounds racist

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

London monopoly is correct monopoly I can't even begin to describe how wrong the OPs board is e.g. the stations should be King's Cross, Marylebone, Fenchurch St. and Liverpool Street and the top value property on the board is clearly Mayfair.

look at this noob Ghettopoly is obviously the best

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

The original board game spaces were named after streets in Atlantic City, New Jersey. you're playing a weird british version because you're weird and british

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Pththya-lyi posted:

The original board game spaces were named after streets in Atlantic City, New Jersey. you're playing a weird british version because you're weird and british

p much every country has its own local variations because people care more about poo poo in their own country than foreign places. hth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_licensed_and_localized_editions_of_Monopoly#Variants tehre's a loving poo poo load of them

cool new Metroid game fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 26, 2014

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Gypsum Fantastic posted:

get the gently caress out of here you goddamn imperial melonhead i will stand for a lot of poo poo from you dentally challenged ingrates but not this, monopoly is ours, and the streets are the streets of the great Ocean City New Jersey

also lol they changed the weird plum purple into poo poo brown

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

more like bored game

edit: because monopoly is boring

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
people defensive over board games itt

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rutibex posted:

look at this noob Ghettopoly is obviously the best

Not even the first board game about ghettos. :rolleyes:

Although impressively, Ghettopoly is considered offensive enough that you're not allowed to sell it on eBay.

univbee fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 26, 2014

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I alway go with the slumlord strat in Monopoly. I don't care if its statistically optimal or not

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

VendaGoat posted:

Don't count out my brown space hotels!

suck my brown space

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

lol if you haven't bankrupted everyone by turn 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFNctqf6DmI

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

try this OP

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pththya-lyi posted:

the original game's spaces where pretty generic. also it was originally called "The Landlords Game" and was designed as a tool to teach how hosed up capitalism was:

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I love how they made a new version of Monopoly that's about buying and selling corporations instead of real estate, it's the most accurate reflection of what modern monopolies really are

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Where did you get this? Is there more to this? I want to play this game

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Rutibex posted:

the original game's spaces where pretty generic. also it was originally called "The Landlords Game" and was designed as a tool to teach how hosed up capitalism was:

ah yes, how could i have forgotten

IIRC there's a second stage to The Landlord's Game with cooperative play or somesuch, but Parker Brothers realized it was more fun to drive your family and friends into the gutter

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

try playing a better game op

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pththya-lyi posted:

IIRC there's a second stage to The Landlord's Game with cooperative play or somesuch, but Parker Brothers realized it was more fun to drive your family and friends into the gutter

The Parker Brothers were true visionaries.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pththya-lyi posted:

yeah there was a like "realism" mode where one guy startes with a bunch of properties and everyones else starts with a bunch of money. what happens when one guy starts with property and everyone else only has wages? the guy with property always wins :v:

an interesting lesson but not exactly a fun game.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

univbee posted:

Not even the first board game about ghettos. :rolleyes:

Although impressively, Ghettopoly is considered offensive enough that you're not allowed to sell it on eBay.

Ah, nothing like a nice family evening playing "Jews Out".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Wouldn't being able to choose which path you go down completely gently caress up the basic idea of monopoly? You can just turn away from someone's upgraded property row of doom.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

Wouldn't being able to choose which path you go down completely gently caress up the basic idea of monopoly? You can just turn away from someone's upgraded property row of doom.

eventually they board would fill up enough that you couldn't avoid it any more

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol @ Monopoly. Was designed to show how terrible Capitalism is, yet people laud it as an amazing and "fun" boardgame. gently caress anyone that enjoys this game.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jastiger posted:

Lol @ Monopoly. Was designed to show how terrible Capitalism is, yet people laud it as an amazing and "fun" boardgame. gently caress anyone that enjoys this game.

Only shows you how lovely Capitalism is if you're landing on a hotel in Mayfair. If you own that hotel, you probably think Capitalism is pretty rad. Just like real life.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
4;20 battleship errday.

Last time I played monopoly I got a free mc Donald's apple pie so pretty good all round

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
The best way to play Monopoly is too wait until whoever is in the lead has almost won and then flip the board :ussr:

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
play monopoly with real money, use cents for dollars if you're a poor

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jastiger posted:

it was designed to make family members yell at each and turn dad into monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
One tip for free is don't play my mum at monopoly. She grew up in the east end of London and i think at the time that's all they had for entertainment and also she comes from a long line of wheeler dealers so its in her blood. Some tricks she employs include bailing out people with loans under the condition that all visits to their property are subsequently rent free. This is devastatingly useful later in the game.

• Locked thread