Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wittgen posted:

I'm surprised Ping-pong the animation isn't on the google document.

I'm just assuming it was last updated earlier in the year since there's barely anything listed for 2014 period. Especially since all of Yuasa's other work is in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Shows with notably bad animation can still have occasional flashes of good animation. Even Kill la Kill had that one bit in episode three.

Yeah exactly. The stuff that was linked has some neat detail to it. Definitely not the finest work by the animators there, but that stuff (and MD Geist) is really neat from a historical perspective since you have a bunch of early 20-somethings being given the money to make whatever the heck they want as long as that neat power armor design is used. It really encapsulates how wild the OVA market could get.

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, I thought the whole point of this concept was "exceptionally animated scenes", completely regardless of the quality of the work as a whole.

If anything, a show that's 99% terrible, and then has a few really nicely animated scenes is the best example of sakuga possible.

Hell, I'm pretty sure this is the reasoning a lot of people stuck with stuff like Naruto back in the day.

Sure it drags, but what if they bust out something like the Rock Lee vs Gaara fight again!?

(I have a theory that Naruto probably bred a lot of sakuga folks, if only for the convenience of learning animator names to know when another episode with really cool animation would air)

• Locked thread