Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Applebees posted:

Those are the packages that are currently published in the PPA, so that wine1.7-amd64_1.7.17-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb is for raring.

1.7.22 is the version currently in the PPA for trusty. I'm looking for an older version that was published a little while ago but has since been replaced.

Applebees posted:

Is there a place that archives the debs from https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ubuntu/ppa? Specifically, I am looking for wine 1.7.17 for trusty.

I have them automatically rsync'd to here: http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/binary/

Sometimes the server runs out of disk space and it takes me a while to realize it and it'll miss a few versions though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

deimos posted:

Also throwback to the dumb icon talk, they're technically stealing webkit's icon, not safari's.
This might explain things a bit. It is a webkit browser.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Prince John posted:

Is there a kind soul in this thread that is able to compile a version of wine 1.3.34 or earlier so it will run on a 64 bit 14.04 install please?

For some reason, I'm chronically unable to build earlier versions of wine from source on Ubuntu 14.04, even though they build ok on my Fedora install.

As an example, the error I get when trying to compile 1.2.2 (one that I have been able to successfully compile on Fedora) is:

I also get the same error trying to build 1.3.34 itself. The reason I need it is this bug/feature added for 1.3.35 that removed the ability to use brush tools easily in Photoshop. I don't seem to be able to successfully apply the patch for more recent versions either.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks!
The likely problem you'll run into when trying to build a Wine this old on Trusty is that it has newer libraries that weren't yet supported (and doesn't have the old libraries that were).

Looking at the bug though a much more recent workaround patch was posted: https://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=47950&action=diff

Try applying that to a modern wine (the patch was made for wine 1.7.15) and you'll have much better luck compiling from source.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

ShadowHawk posted:

This might explain things a bit. It is a webkit browser.

But it goes back to "people aren't going to make that association". What percentage of users even know what WebKit is, let alone its icon?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I've just replaced (buggy, crashy) Mint 17 on my main workstation with Xubuntu 14.04, and I have to say I'm impressed. Everything works out of the box and it's stable as a rock so far. I still like Cinnamon a little better than Xfce, but I can deal until Cinnamon support arrives in 14.10. Kudos to ShadowHawk and the other Official Ubuntu People!

Well, slight correction there -- ONE thing doesn't work, and it's not even technically part of Ubuntu. When booting from the live image on a USB stick, the memory test option fails with "Cannot load a ramdisk with an old kernel image" unless first you hit tab to edit the boot options and remove "append initrd=/ubninit" from the end. But this has been broken for literally years. :)

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator

Powered Descent posted:

(buggy, crashy) Mint 17

I just switched from Ubuntu 14.04 to Mint 17. Do I have some woes in my future?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ghostofbox posted:

I just switched from Ubuntu 14.04 to Mint 17. Do I have some woes in my future?

Hard to say. I've only used Mint 17 on this one box, so for all I know the problems might have been due to some obscure little hardware-related thing that would only affect a tiny fraction of people. But whatever the cause, it was a disaster. I was rebooting three or four times a day due to freezes or general wonkiness. This same box ran an older Mint (14, I think?) for over a year with no issues, and Xubuntu 14.04 also appears perfectly stable so far.

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator
I've been struggling with hardware a bit, too. I have that weird Optimus thing, so I either have to use Ubuntu's nvidia-prime package or mess with Bumblebee in Arch, Fedora, etc. I prefer prime because I can just switch to a single card and forget it. Using Bumblebee has always been a bit of a pain.
Xubuntu (and xfce in general) are really good. I'm actually a fan of Unity and Gnome3, but I've tried a bunch of DEs out before knowing I liked those two, and xfce was one of them. Very light and stable if that's what you're going for.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

ShadowHawk posted:

I have them automatically rsync'd to here: http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/binary/

Sometimes the server runs out of disk space and it takes me a while to realize it and it'll miss a few versions though.

That's a great resource. It seems to be missing the version I'm looking for though. I think version 1.7.14 to 1.7.17 for saucy or trusty would work, but I don't see them.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

ShadowHawk posted:

Try applying that to a modern wine (the patch was made for wine 1.7.15) and you'll have much better luck compiling from source.

Hey Shadowhawk, thanks for the help.

I think my problem is I'm not able to successfully compile any of these recent versions (i.e. I haven't even tried the patch yet). I created a brand new Ubuntu 14.04 VM, 32-bit this time to avoid making the building more complicated than needed, updated repos, ran sudo apt-get build-dep wine to bring in the prerequisites.

Running ./tools/wineinstall completes the configure stage without a hitch but never completes the make process. There are no error messages, it just never stops. I've now tried with 1.7.15, 1.7.24 and the latest stable, 1.6.2, using the sources straight from sourceforge. Eventually I kill the process with ctrl+c, but the one I left the longest (about an hour) now has a directory size of 766MB which doesn't seem quite right - I guess the process is stuck in a loop somehow?

I'm tempted to file a bug, as presumably (at least) the stable version should build on a pristine 14.04 install? I may well be screwing things up without realising it somehow though. This is identical to what happened when I first tried to build these later versions on another Ubuntu VM a couple of months ago.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 17, 2014

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Prince John posted:

Hey Shadowhawk, thanks for the help.

I think my problem is I'm not able to successfully compile any of these recent versions (i.e. I haven't even tried the patch yet). I created a brand new Ubuntu 14.04 VM, 32-bit this time to avoid making the building more complicated than needed, updated repos, ran sudo apt-get build-dep wine to bring in the prerequisites.

Running ./tools/wineinstall completes the configure stage without a hitch but never completes the make process. There are no error messages, it just never stops. I've now tried with 1.7.15, 1.7.24 and the latest stable, 1.6.2, using the sources straight from sourceforge. Eventually I kill the process with ctrl+c, but the one I left the longest (about an hour) now has a directory size of 766MB which doesn't seem quite right - I guess the process is stuck in a loop somehow?

I'm tempted to file a bug, as presumably (at least) the stable version should build on a pristine 14.04 install? I may well be screwing things up without realising it somehow though. This is identical to what happened when I first tried to build these later versions on another Ubuntu VM a couple of months ago.
Hah, I've run into this bug before actually, when compiling with a VM. Configure will run over and over again. It has something to do with the time stamps.

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8967

The source of the problem was vmware - when you suspend a virtual machine, some
strange things can happen to the system time unless you enable a certain option
to keep it in sync.

I reset the system clock on the VM and rebuilt the package, and all appears to
be normal. Closing bug.

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
I installed Ubuntu on my AMD APU laptop after being on Windows for a while. Had a couple issues:

-Wouldn't autoboot the EFI image. I needed to move it to a different directory and rename it. Seems like a bug with the HP bios more than anything though.

-MS fonts failed during the restricted extras install. I needed to do a manual reinstall from terminal so I could accept the EULA.

Overall, I'm fairly impressed so far. Best Linux experience yet by miles. It's nice having Steam support and the open source AMD driver is actually pretty decent now.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

If I wanted to discuss the use and development of elementaryOS, can I speak it's name here, or will I be cast out like a heretic?

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator

Literally Elvis posted:

If I wanted to discuss the use and development of elementaryOS, can I speak it's name here, or will I be cast out like a heretic?

I'm personally waiting for the stable Freya release, so I at least won't be casting you out.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

ghostofbox posted:

I'm personally waiting for the stable Freya release, so I at least won't be casting you out.

I've been using the beta Freya release because it's not too unstable for me, and realistically Freya will be obsolete in comparison with Ubuntu proper when it's "done". They're getting faster, but they're not really there yet.

The development process for that whole group of apps seems very counterproductive. They don't really let anybody in on any plans of theirs unless you manage to earn your stripes developing elementary-ish applications. It's like mafia programming or something.

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator

Literally Elvis posted:

I've been using the beta Freya release because it's not too unstable for me, and realistically Freya will be obsolete in comparison with Ubuntu proper when it's "done". They're getting faster, but they're not really there yet.

The development process for that whole group of apps seems very counterproductive. They don't really let anybody in on any plans of theirs unless you manage to earn your stripes developing elementary-ish applications. It's like mafia programming or something.

I don't really know how to feel about them, to be honest. I like what comes out of it, but they do seem to be very close-knit from what I've read. I was planning to stay on 14.04 just because I've been jumping around a lot and I'm sure that's going to kill my SSD. If they release something within 14.04's lifetime, I'll probably try it out.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I've been getting occasional nagging-sounding email asking me to keep putting out new Wine betas for 12.04.

I'd rather not since it's old and extra work, but I'd really like to know what sort of use case desktop users might have for beta Wine releases but not the latest LTS.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ShadowHawk posted:

I've been getting occasional nagging-sounding email asking me to keep putting out new Wine betas for 12.04.

I'd rather not since it's old and extra work, but I'd really like to know what sort of use case desktop users might have for beta Wine releases but not the latest LTS.

As someone who still has to backport fixes to RHEL5 sometimes, welcome to long-term support.

Latest is good for us, but it's almost always users who have some application which won't work with a new version of python or oracle or their hardware is so old they can't get drivers for it on kernels past 3.2 or 2.6.28 or something. I'd almost guarantee the users requesting it are doing so because the WINE devs just fixed a bug in some game they think their 6800GT (or whatever) will run fine if only nvidia hadn't stopped supporting it in the binary driver years ago.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

evol262 posted:

As someone who still has to backport fixes to RHEL5 sometimes, welcome to long-term support.

Latest is good for us, but it's almost always users who have some application which won't work with a new version of python or oracle or their hardware is so old they can't get drivers for it on kernels past 3.2 or 2.6.28 or something. I'd almost guarantee the users requesting it are doing so because the WINE devs just fixed a bug in some game they think their 6800GT (or whatever) will run fine if only nvidia hadn't stopped supporting it in the binary driver years ago.
I'm pretty sure those users can use the old nvidia drivers on 14.04 though. We still ship nvidia-304 packages. (Default is -331)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm pretty sure those users can use the old nvidia drivers on 14.04 though. We still ship nvidia-304 packages. (Default is -331)

I don't actually track nvidia's versions anymore, but my comment was a little hyperbolic rather than specific versions.

I'd be really surprised if there weren't cards that worked in 12.04 but not 14.04, though

evol262 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 18, 2014

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
What's the state of Netflix on wine? I know it works, but is it playably fast?

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Just Another Lurker posted:

Bummer to hear that Mint isn't playing nice with WINE, does this affect their Debian based version of Mint as well as the Ubuntu derived one? :ohdear:

I don't use Wine so I wouldn't know, but I would not expect their Debian edition to be better, probably worse if anything. It is based on Debian Testing, except that they use update packs on a very infrequent basis instead of the normal regular rolling updates from the Debian. Their support of these update packs have been lagging. In an effort to be more stable then Testing, it has become a bit of a mess.

Honestly, anything based on Debian Testing with update packs seem to have a shaky future. Solydx/k (a fork of Mint Debian) just decided to abandon the model and I would assume Mint Debian will too. If you can handle the older software, just install Debian Stable. I use that with Openbox on my virtualboxes and they run great.

However, I do use Linux Mint 17 Xfce edition as well, and although I don't use Wine, it has been great. If the only reason why it doesn't work well with Wine is because it doesn't install recommended updates by default, it shouldn't be a big deal. I run the update every couple weeks and usually update everything.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Radio Talmudist posted:

Last time I told tried I used Pipelight, which is Wine + MS Silverlight, and it works great. You will need to change your browser agent string to pretend to be Windows.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Radio Talmudist posted:

It works great with wine-compholio, which is Wine with some additional patches. I use it all the time on Ubuntu 14.04. I use netflix-desktop from ppa:pipelight/stable without pipelight installed, so it just runs Firefox under Wine.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 18, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Chrome 38 Beta can do HTML5 Netflix natively, though it still needs a user agent switch to e.g. Chrome 37 on Windows.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

ShadowHawk posted:

Sure. In a recent release Mint decided to deliberately disable the installation of recommended packages by default. Given that the entire Ubuntu (and Debian) archives are designed to expect recommended packages by default, this has the side effect of (almost but not completely) breaking many apps. Wine, the package I make that uses a lot of recommends for their intended purpose as soft but not strict dependencies, ends up not working on Mint systems. This happens because Mint broke the package installer deliberately.

Just checked my Mint 17 Xfce Update Manager and Recommends are installed by default. Maybe they changed it back?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I've always been fussy about Linux aesthetics for some reason, to the point of frustration. I tried Linux Mint only to find I couldn't get the window borders thin enough for my taste, and then tried Ubuntu and found Unity alright, but not exciting. After Ubuntu's 'upgrade' feature broke the poo poo out of everything trying to take me from 13 to 14, I had to download the ISO for 14, only to somehow end up getting Ubuntu-Gnome somehow. Holy poo poo, Gnome 3 is my jam. I'm actually excited to be using a Linux for the first time ever.

Of course, it somehow broke my Windows loader files, and now I'm trouble fixing that.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Well, I filed a bug about the whole icon thing if anyone wants to say anything there.

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
Just noticed that Flash performance is very poor on Firefox with my A10-4600m APU. Wondering if this is an adobe or driver problem? Hopefully easily fixable.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Can someone point me in the right direction re fixing wireless networking?

My Thinkpad T440s has an Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 and the download speeds are much slower over wifi than over ethernet.

The firmware is up to date (iwlwifi-7260-8.ucode).
Using wavemon I can see that the signal strength to router is hovering around 100%.
Using mtr I sometimes see a lot of packet loss between my laptop and the router, but other times no packet loss at all.

I don't really know where to start. I guess I should add the interface to /etc/networking/interfaces and configure it manually? But do I first need to disable whatever is currently handling networking (I'm on Ubuntu 14.04)? Should I install wicd? Basically I don't know how to start breaking things down so I can start again from scratch.

e: ugh it turned out to be my wifi extender that was the bottleneck.

fuf fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 21, 2014

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

DISCLAIMER: BLATANT SHILL

I started working on a method to centrally manage updates on our 14.04 LTS servers at work last week as part of my company's dick-around week, and was given permission to put it on GitHub. The application is quite clearly in its early stages (plus it was my first Ruby on Rails app ever), but it is usable and we are already using it to track needed updates on our servers.

Please have a look at it at https://github.com/erhudy/portrait. If you have Ruby 2.x installed but don't know anything at all about Ruby, you can probably get it running with gem install bundler, then bundle install from within the root directory of the application, then rails server to start it in development mode, where it will use a local SQLite database and spew lots of debugging crap into the log.

I would greatly appreciate feedback and/or pull requests. I have a laundry list of things to fix with it, but I hope that it will eventually end up being marginally useful to other server janitors like myself.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So I tried regular rear end Ubuntu but I kept getting "something went wrong" whenever I started the computer. I also lost the wifi connection widget and nothing I did seemed to get it back.

I tried Ubuntu MATE but I hated the UI and the lack of an easy search like I had with regular rear end Ubuntu (hit the windows key and search) made getting around way slower and clunkier.

Now I'm on Linux Mint 17 and so far no error messages and the search function works as good or better than Ubuntu. I even setup Steam to be able to stream games from my desktop and installed the drivers for my video card to it runs way better. So far I've been really happy with Mint. Is there something I'm missing here that Mint has busted from other versions of Linux that will come back to bite me? The OP said Mint is kinda garbage but it's the best distro I've tried so far.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Nitrousoxide posted:

So I tried regular rear end Ubuntu but I kept getting "something went wrong" whenever I started the computer. I also lost the wifi connection widget and nothing I did seemed to get it back.

I tried Ubuntu MATE but I hated the UI and the lack of an easy search like I had with regular rear end Ubuntu (hit the windows key and search) made getting around way slower and clunkier.

Now I'm on Linux Mint 17 and so far no error messages and the search function works as good or better than Ubuntu. I even setup Steam to be able to stream games from my desktop and installed the drivers for my video card to it runs way better. So far I've been really happy with Mint. Is there something I'm missing here that Mint has busted from other versions of Linux that will come back to bite me? The OP said Mint is kinda garbage but it's the best distro I've tried so far.

Mint is still very popular and well reviewed. I have had no problems with Mint 17, and it is pretty much the nicest distro I have used. So the OP has some legitimate issues with Mint and how its update settings affect Wine. This was followed by other people concluding it is "basically horrible". Lets not get carried away here. If you are having great experiences with it, just keep using it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm having a bit of an issue with 14.04. I installed 12.04 from a boot disc, and upgraded it to 14.04 via the system update feature. Unfortunately it crashed during the upgrade, but worked well enough for me to install it with Vista on another partition.

Now however it gets past the Ubuntu logo and sticks at a blank screen. Occasionally I get a notification from Jupiter* telling me it's in power saving mode, but it looks scrambled, like the screen crashed and only partially drew the box.

So since it looks like I'm going to have to reinstall anyway, I was looking at the different flavours in the OP and was wondering which desktop 12.04 used? I really don't like the new transparent spotted border thing, and the shutdown/reset dialogue now looks like a placeholder to me.

The first time I upgraded from 12 (to 13.5 I think) it asked which desktop I wanted, but it's never done that since.

* so it doesn't overheat my laptop. If there are any better ways of slowing my CPU down let me know.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 3, 2014

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

So since it looks like I'm going to have to reinstall anyway, I was looking at the different flavours in the OP and was wondering which desktop 12.04 used? I really don't like the new transparent spotted border thing, and the shutdown/reset dialogue now looks like a placeholder to me.
12.04 by default used Unity*, the same that's by default in 14.04. Granted Unity itself has gone through some changes since then.

You may have been using something like GNOME Classic, which you can get in 14.04.

*There was a "Unity 2D" version in 12.04. It is mostly the same UI, but not requiring a 3D Card. This is no longer available in 14.04 though.

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 3, 2014

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Nitrousoxide posted:

So I tried regular rear end Ubuntu but I kept getting "something went wrong" whenever I started the computer.

This has happened to me on every install of 14.04 I've tried, be that regular Ubuntu or Xubuntu, on every single boot up and with multiple machines. I switched my parents to Mint for the same reason (and a couple of other things that were a bit more user friendly) but uninstalling whoopsie also does the job. It doesn't help that you can't tell from the dialogue what the error is - I guess it's trying to be 'user friendly' by not showing technical detail, but it's pretty unclear for the non-technical user who just worries if they've broken something.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Ubuntu GNOME includes GNOME Classic session. You can choose it from the Sessions option on the login screen.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Did they fix cinnamon on 14.04 yet? I want to stay on LTS and the solution's I've come across have been to use a nightly build PPA, which is NOT an option on an LTS release, imho.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 8, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So I just had to reformat my windows machine and reinstall everything and resetting all my junctions links and play computer janitor.

I really ought to learn how to set up my own LDAP server. I really liked the idea of Windows Home server, but I would like to have my server play nice with apple laptops, android smart phones, and set up my own RADIUS authentication with guest access. Can someone please kindly point me to some resources? I tried looking at my own and got overwhelmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

spankmeister posted:

Did they fix cinnamon on 14.04 yet? I want to stay on LTS and the solution's I've come across have been to use a nightly build PPA, which is NOT an option on an LTS release, imho.

Cinnamon is not in the Ubuntu repositories, so using a PPA is your only option. A lot of people use ppa:lestcape/cinnamon for 14.04.

• Locked thread