Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Trying to minimize my reliance on a chroot desktop has pushed me toward decentralized tools with minimal dependencies. I can work on someone else's computer or a public computer if need be. If I'm working in a computer lab at school, I don't have to awkwardly squeeze my laptop onto the table between the desktops, I can just use the provided computers. If my Chromebook dies I'll have my full environment within ten minutes of turning on a new one. Also, crouton can be finicky, ChromeOS updates require crouton updates and sometimes new workarounds need to be developed by the devs. Sometimes major changes in ChromeOS change what's possible in crouton. For example Google recently replaced X with Freon (at least that's my understanding of what Freon replaced). Not having to rely on graphical stuff gives me some peace of mind.

Also, ChromeOS is really nice. Both web browsing and its window manager will be smoother than anything in a chroot desktop. The window manager has some nice features too. So I'd rather use xiwi and let ChromeOS handle the window management.

Of course, YMMV. For me, the benefits may have come at some up-front cost, like becoming more fluent at the command line, learning new tools, etc. It's not just that I like the workflow but I like what it's forced me to learn. Maybe I'm just handicapping myself, though :shrug:. It also helps that I have a computer in my office that I can install server-client software on, and run stuff remotely. These changes in my workflow have meant that I no longer feel hamstrung when I'm not on my main PC, my workflow is the same wherever I am.

Edit: my other advice is to use chroots to experiment. As the README says, chroots are cheap. Rather than trying to perfect one that you use for everything, make a bunch, especially as you're trying to figure out what works for you.

Also, be wary of running off an SD card. It can be extremely slow even with a fast SD card, and there's a longstanding ChromeOS bug where it doesn't properly remount the SD card after sleep, causing all sorts of problems.

Edit2: Oh, one more reason I like to stick with ChromeOS is I have the Lenovo Yoga 11e, which folds back into tablet mode, and I actually use the touchscreen a fair amount. It's just not the same in a chroot. This was one of the first things that pushed me away from an "all crouton, all the time" workflow.

Thank you for that write up! I'm playing around with Crouton but I'll try out some of your suggestions, especially re: installing different chroots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Not to nag, but it has now been 3 months since an update. Is there something I can do to facilitate this process? I know I could just build it from source, but I appreciate it automatically updating. If you think it would be better to just build it, I will though.

EDIT: Just updated, thanks!

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 12, 2015

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Grumpwagon posted:

Not to nag, but it has now been 3 months since an update. Is there something I can do to facilitate this process? I know I could just build it from source, but I appreciate it automatically updating. If you think it would be better to just build it, I will though.

EDIT: Just updated, thanks!
It was confusion between Maarten and I who was still doing them.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Has anybody got experience with getting a wireless connection using PEAP (MSCHAPv2, specifically) working? In Windows, it just works, no special stuff required. Log into your box, and it passes the domain auth along while connecting, and you're good to go. For the life of me, I haven't been able to get it going in Ubuntu. I've made sure that the config is correct to the best of my ability, I've tried doing it through NetworkManager, wicd, and wpa_supplicant, and none of them would do it. My plan was to make my new laptop primarily boot from Linux and run a Windows VM on it, but if that won't work, I may have to do the opposite.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

ShadowHawk posted:

It was confusion between Maarten and I who was still doing them.

I really appreciate it, thanks!

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
What do people like to code in? I'm coming from OSX where TextWrangler was the absolute best for writing in, but my beard isn't long enough for Vim yet

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I use the same IDEs I use in Windows.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I mostly used vim when I used Linux, but for a full-featured editor that's available on all 3 major OS platforms, Sublime Text is pretty awesome.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

What do people like to code in? I'm coming from OSX where TextWrangler was the absolute best for writing in, but my beard isn't long enough for Vim yet

Depends on what language I am coding in.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Geany and Sublime Text seem pretty popular.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Atom looks kind of neat as well but I haven't got to use it much yet.

Recently I installed GNOME but it's not letting me load a shell theme even though I have the user slider shell set to on

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Just bite the bullet and learn emacs

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm very new to Ubuntu and I was trying to install spotify when it freaked out my terminal. I removed it from my software and updates list under other software but I get the following when I try to run synaptic

And then synaptic crashes when I close that.

e: A pal was able to help me, the spotify repository became corrupted and the following fixed it

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
sudo apt update

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 5, 2015

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

The JetBrains IDEs - in addition to being incredible IDEs (that actually work equally well across all OSes) they have a popular and well supported Vim plugin you can switch on and off at will.

Oromo fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 11, 2015

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Oromo posted:

The JetBrains IDEs - in addition to being incredible IDEs (that actually work equally well across all OSes) they have a popular and well supported Vim plugin you can switch on and off at will.

I've tried their PyCharm IDE and it was pretty neat, but it lagged substantially on my crouton ubuntu install. I think you need a fairly powerful machine to run it smoothly.

EDIT: Well at least more powerful than a 200$ chromebook

Radio Talmudist fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 13, 2015

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

You might want to try it with Oracle Java instead of the default open-source Java. It might still be too slow for your Chromebook but it should be significantly improved.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
I switched to Windows 10 and apparently my windows key is not legit so I'm having lots of stability issues and can't go back to Win 7. I've been thinking about switching to Linux for quite a while. What would be the easiest way to make the switch? The only thing I'm worried about is my GPU has custom drivers because it's an unlocked/ flashed gpu. I have everything already backed up as well. Thanks for any advise in advance.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

LunaSky posted:

I switched to Windows 10 and apparently my windows key is not legit so I'm having lots of stability issues and can't go back to Win 7. I've been thinking about switching to Linux for quite a while. What would be the easiest way to make the switch? The only thing I'm worried about is my GPU has custom drivers because it's an unlocked/ flashed gpu. I have everything already backed up as well. Thanks for any advise in advance.

You can always download an Ubuntu DVD image and boot it to see if you like it without making any changes to your HD. You can do it off of a USB stick too if I remember right. You should be able to see how your GPU drivers work as well.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Booting off a USB stick has the added advantages of being much more responsive (don't have to spin up the disk every time you want to launch a new program) and, if your USB stick has more storage than required for the ISO, you can use the rest of the space for persistent storage so that your settings, etc. are kept through reboots.

So yeah, a pretty decent way to try it out.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Seqenenra posted:

You can always download an Ubuntu DVD image and boot it to see if you like it without making any changes to your HD. You can do it off of a USB stick too if I remember right. You should be able to see how your GPU drivers work as well.

Awesome thanks a bunch!

Edit: I keep getting an error when trying to install ubuntu. It says "cannot download metalink therefore iso".

LunaSky fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 19, 2015

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

fourwood posted:

Booting off a USB stick has the added advantages of being much more responsive (don't have to spin up the disk every time you want to launch a new program) and, if your USB stick has more storage than required for the ISO, you can use the rest of the space for persistent storage so that your settings, etc. are kept through reboots.

So yeah, a pretty decent way to try it out.

Hmm. I wonder if I could do this as an alternative to dual booting ubuntu on my pc. How's the latency via a usb 3.0 port?

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

LunaSky posted:

Awesome thanks a bunch!

Edit: I keep getting an error when trying to install ubuntu. It says "cannot download metalink therefore iso".

I did a google search for that and found a solution in the Ubuntu forums. It isn't a problem I have run into before. Did your GPU drivers load? What kind is it?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1546833

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

I gave that a read and did the USB disk thing. But when I go to boot it just sits there saying loading os. :(

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
So Ubuntu 15.10 just came out, and it's forcing TRIM on a system that doesn't support it.

Over and over I have these kernel errors:

quote:

ata1.00: failed command: DATA SET MANAGEMENT

Similar issue as seen here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=197597
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2208949
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=142855

With Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04, I could wipe my drive and install the system without issue. With 15.10, I'm getting the TRIM errors.

Running "mkfs.ext4 -E nodiscard" on a partition quickly formats. GParted and the Ubuntu installer default to using "discard", which pushes a quick format to nearly half an hour as it has dozens of timeouts.

Even during the install it tries to TRIM blocks.

While there are 1,000,000 guides on enabling TRIM, I'd like to know how to DISABLE TRIM.

When I run this, the command returns TRIM support:

# hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep TRIM

Is there a way to make the drive NOT report TRIM support? Is there a way to make the Kernel NOT try to issue discards or "DATA SET MANAGEMENT" commands?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I need help with sshd on 14.04 LTS armhf

I can't get sshd to work on my raspberry pi 2. I want to keep it headless and I had to set up on the TV in the loungeroom. My other raspberry pi 2 running Raspbian works without any issue on the network. I've never had issue with Ubuntu or sshd before. The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is setting it up, the connection was via internet sharing on a macbook.

Before I reinstall the OS completely, is there any trick I am missing?

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
Are you trying to log in as root? Check your /etc/ssh/sshd_config for PermitRootLogin

Is sshd actually running and listening on the proper IP? netstat -ltp and check if sshd is listening on *:ssh or [::]:ssh

Can you ping the system?

Is there a firewall running? iptables -L

Are there any errors in /var/log/auth.log (Maybe increase LogLevel to DEBUG in sshd_config)

Try running ssh client with the -v or -vv option for more info.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

So Ubuntu 15.10 just came out, and it's forcing TRIM on a system that doesn't support it.

Over and over I have these kernel errors:

Similar issue as seen here:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=197597
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2208949
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=142855

With Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04, I could wipe my drive and install the system without issue. With 15.10, I'm getting the TRIM errors.

Running "mkfs.ext4 -E nodiscard" on a partition quickly formats. GParted and the Ubuntu installer default to using "discard", which pushes a quick format to nearly half an hour as it has dozens of timeouts.

Even during the install it tries to TRIM blocks.

While there are 1,000,000 guides on enabling TRIM, I'd like to know how to DISABLE TRIM.

When I run this, the command returns TRIM support:

# hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep TRIM

Is there a way to make the drive NOT report TRIM support? Is there a way to make the Kernel NOT try to issue discards or "DATA SET MANAGEMENT" commands?

I've worked through kinda the opposite issue, but can't think of anything except compiling the kernel with that option turned off.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Grey Area posted:

Are you trying to log in as root? Check your /etc/ssh/sshd_config for PermitRootLogin

Is sshd actually running and listening on the proper IP? netstat -ltp and check if sshd is listening on *:ssh or [::]:ssh

Can you ping the system?

Is there a firewall running? iptables -L

Are there any errors in /var/log/auth.log (Maybe increase LogLevel to DEBUG in sshd_config)

Try running ssh client with the -v or -vv option for more info.

I played around, I think it's an issue with how I set it up. Once I buy a HDMI monitor I can get it going with Ubuntu properly. It's too difficult to set up on the tv in the loungeroom when it's running through a different NAT. Raspbian may not be what I want, but it was very easy to set up over just ssh.

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.
This feels a touch like necroing, but w/e. I've been using Ubuntu for about two weeks and find myself wanting to dick around in the terminal because it's fun. Any suggestions on things that will facilitate such things? Maybe some quality of life stuff? I don't know what I'm doing yet, but I figure learning by doing is the best way to go.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
You're going to need to be more specific about the kind of stuff you want. Teach yourself VIm to start. If you want QoL on it, look into spf13 as a package of addons and configs that really make it shine.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

xthnru posted:

This feels a touch like necroing, but w/e. I've been using Ubuntu for about two weeks and find myself wanting to dick around in the terminal because it's fun. Any suggestions on things that will facilitate such things? Maybe some quality of life stuff? I don't know what I'm doing yet, but I figure learning by doing is the best way to go.

wipe your drive and install arch linux, that should be enough terminal poo poo for you to get a nice handle on it by the end

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

xthnru posted:

I really like fish shell, so maybe give that a try, for terminal QOL. Set up your shell configuration (.bashrc, .pam_environment, .bash_profile, etc. or .config/fish for fish shell), .gitconfig and/or.hgrc, .vimrc or .emacs or whatever, and create some sort of dotfile repo. I use dotbot and really like it. Just that process of configuring your shell, version control, and a text editor will give a good amount of terminal experience, while working to improve your terminal experience.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Buy a Raspberry Pi, stick Debian on it (very similar to Ubuntu) and learn how to dick about with SSH in the terminal. Communicating with, and controlling, the Pi using an Ubuntu system gave me extra confidence and knowledge with the terminal.

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.
Thanks, despite the vague question those were the kind of answers I was looking for (less so on the Arch Linux, that poo poo looks too terrifying for me at my current experience level).

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Playing with a Raspberry Pi over SSH is very forgiving to the novice. You just download an ISO file of Raspbian, write it onto a memory card and run it on the Pi. Then if you gently caress something up over SSH you can just write over the memory card and you're back where you started. I remember doing the classic trick of enabling ufw on the Pi, then logging out and realising I hadn't allowed port 22 (the SSH port) so it was impossible to log back in again. A quick image write later and I was up and running again.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

xthnru posted:

Thanks, despite the vague question those were the kind of answers I was looking for (less so on the Arch Linux, that poo poo looks too terrifying for me at my current experience level).

Just start doing everything you possibly could imagine from the terminal. Move a file? Google and learn how to do it in the terminal. Mount a drive? Format a drive? Google it. Given that you're using Ubuntu you'll be repairing the install every time you do a version bump so Google every problem you encounter. If a program gets lovely with you launch it using the terminal and see what it says. Often times you can just copy/paste the errors into Google and get a bug report / fix.

Don't feel anchored to Ubuntu either despite it's "newbie" reputation. Fedora is just as easy to use. Antergos is a decent distro that lets you have the Arch Linux experience without the tryhard installing process.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Don't forget Linux Mint for the very lazy (like myself), now if i can just get rid of my apathy and to start gaming on it instead of Win 8.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

YouTuber posted:

Just start doing everything you possibly could imagine from the terminal. Move a file? Google and learn how to do it in the terminal. Mount a drive? Format a drive? Google it. Given that you're using Ubuntu you'll be repairing the install every time you do a version bump so Google every problem you encounter. If a program gets lovely with you launch it using the terminal and see what it says. Often times you can just copy/paste the errors into Google and get a bug report / fix.

Don't feel anchored to Ubuntu either despite it's "newbie" reputation. Fedora is just as easy to use. Antergos is a decent distro that lets you have the Arch Linux experience without the tryhard installing process.

That right there is really good advice for a newbie in regards to Linux. You can always download CD/DVD images from any of the distros and try them for free and I think with all of them these days, you can run a live disk to see if you like it or not.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

xthnru posted:

You can give this book a try, too: http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Creative commons licensed so you can download the digital version right off the site for free (in the future it might be nice to have a printed copy for skimming/easy reference).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What is the deal with Ubuntu Touch? Has that project been silently dropped? There seems to be absolutely no amateur dev scene around it. XDA has people making lovely roms for almost every device and this seems like it would be equally suited to that scene.

• Locked thread