Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
What is Ubuntu?

Ubuntu is an operating system. If you're here, you probably knew that. What you might not know is that Ubuntu has tens of millions of users on the desktop, and the majority of cloud servers are running Ubuntu*. Ubuntu is also making a play for mobile: there are already Ubuntu-based tablets available, and phones will be shipping sometime in 2014. If you live in China, you can go to physical Ubuntu stores and kiosks and buy devices supporting Ubuntu. If you live elsewhere, you can buy Ubuntu devices online from major vendors like Dell and smaller vendors like System76. While Ubuntu is an open community project, the trademark is not: if you see a hardware vendor saying a device supports Ubuntu, that means they are paying Canonical to certify the machines.

How to install?

You can, of course, just download and run Ubuntu on any old machine. The default image can run on DVD or USB key and serves as both an installation media and a bootable live environment (handy for recovery, even of Windows systems). If you are planning on dual booting, the general advice is to install Ubuntu after Windows, as the Windows boot loader can be rather selfish about hiding other operating systems. If you are dual booting Mac OSX, you will need to jump through even more hoops.

What are these other -buntus?

The Ubuntu project is actually a class of operating systems all sharing the same software archive and core system components. Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Server, and all the others are literally the same operating system with a different set of default packages installed. If you aren't happy with your desktop environment, you could install eg lubuntu-desktop onto a stock Ubuntu system and switch which one you use at the login screen.

As of this writing, there are the following official flavors:
  • Ubuntu (Unity desktop)
  • Ubuntu-Gnome (Gnome 3 desktop)
  • Kubuntu (KDE desktop)
  • Lubuntu (LXDE desktop)
  • Xubuntu (XFCE desktop)
  • Ubuntu Server (No desktop)
  • Ubuntu Studio (Unity + multimedia stuff)
  • Edubuntu (Unity + educational stuff)
  • Ubuntu Android (installs on top of Android -- this is different from Ubuntu as the base phone OS)
  • Ubuntu Touch, Ubuntu TV (Things you should probably only have if they came with your device)
What about Linux Mint? I heard it's like Ubuntu but better?

Unfortunately, this is wrong. Linux Mint used to be more or less Ubuntu with a different default install and the addition of the Mate and Cinnamon desktops. These days, however, Mint has decided to go off the deep end and start deliberately breaking things.

As a much healthier alternative, I will point to the Ubuntu Mate project, who will in all likelihood become an official flavor just like the above. Both Mate and Cinnamon will be available out of the box on 14.10, at which point there will be no reason at all to use Mint.

I've installed. What will I first notice?

This is a pretty good interactive demo of what a default install looks like.

Ubuntu's default desktop is different. In general the interface is designed to minimize "stuff" that's not the application content like window borders, panels, and so on. Maximized windows have their controls moved into the top panel, for instance, along with a global menu. The scroll bars are similarly very thin, with a drag tool that comes into view when you mouse near them. On my old netbook Ubuntu/Firefox was showing literally twice the web page content as the default Windows/IE.

There is also a well thought-out series of indicator menus in the upper right. They start monochrome, and light up when something wants your attention. They're designed to be easy to ignore if you're working on something important.

Unlike proprietary OSes, we are free to modify the majority of applications our users use to take advantage - music players will put controls in the audio menu, IM clients in the messaging menu, and so on. This contrasts with the Windows experience where every application puts it's own little icon in the system tray (so many, in fact, that Windows now autohides most of them). If you install such a Windows app with Wine, however, its indicator will be right next to the rest.

Use the Software Center

This is how you get software on Ubuntu. It's on the default launcher. There is a lot of first party software in Ubuntu - almost every open source project has been packaged and placed into the distribution. Software Center also acts as an app store, and many proprietary things are available there as well.

Make sure you install the ubuntu-restricted-extras package by clicking this link. If you ticked the special box at install time you should already have it. This includes useful stuff like mp3 codecs that we can't for legal reasons bundle by default. Blame the US patent system. To install just flash, click this magical link inside Ubuntu.

Very occasionally, you may want a third party piece of software that is either not available on Ubuntu or more up to date than is available on Ubuntu. For instance, to install beta versions of Wine you will need to click 3 buttons in the options menu. In general you should not expect to compile things from source, download binary files by hand, or other archaic nonsense.

Technical Support:

I highly recommend AskUbuntu.com, the Ubuntu Stack Exchange site. This is generally a way better place than traditional forums, mailing lists, and so on for asking questions. Especially highly complicated and interesting questions. You can even log in with your facebook account if you like.

You can also try this thread, of course.

Version numbers?

Major versions use a Year.Month scheme and get an alphabetical adjective animal code name. LTS, or "Long Term Support" releases come out every 2 years and are supported for 5. LTS point releases (eg 14.04.1) come out intermittently and consist of updated images, mostly to support newer hardware. If you let update manager run you already have the latest point release.

Between LTS releases, there are 3 major non-LTS releases, one every 6 months. You should probably be using the LTS releases. The interim releases are supported for only 9 months, and you are expected to migrate from one to the next within 3 months of them becoming available.

Upgrading from older Ubuntus:

You can choose from:
  1. Use update manager from inside 13.10 or 12.04 LTS (you can only go either LTS to LTS or release to release+1).
  2. Put in a DVD and tell it to upgrade
  3. Boot a DVD/USB image and create a fresh install on top of your old one, making sure to tell the installer to preserve your home directory
  4. Install to a new hard disk or machine and copy your home directory afterwards
  5. Open a terminal and type sudo do-release-upgrade
Do not attempt other methods, like manually editing sources.list and changing the code names.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Megaman posted:

Care to explain this nonsense? Mint is used on the desktop more than Ubuntu from what I know.
Sure. In a recent release Mint decided to deliberately disable the installation of recommended packages by default. Given that the entire Ubuntu (and Debian) archives are designed to expect recommended packages by default, this has the side effect of (almost but not completely) breaking many apps. Wine, the package I make that uses a lot of recommends for their intended purpose as soft but not strict dependencies, ends up not working on Mint systems. This happens because Mint broke the package installer deliberately.

As far as popularity, Wikipedia statistics show as of this week 7.6 M hits from Mint and 994 M hits from Ubuntu. That makes Ubuntu approximately 130 times more popular, provided you think the Wikipedia-browsing habits of Ubuntu and Mint users are roughly comparable. Personally, I blame distrowatch for this weird misconception.

Apologies if I come off as rude, I really don't mean to sound pissy I've just been dealing with tons of support emails from Mint users who think that my packages are broken and it's 100% Mint's fault. I don't even claim to support Mint, but they keep hearing that it's basically just Ubuntu.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The Merkinman posted:

Look at me, I'm a designer for Canonical! *copy/pastes Apple icons because Apple*

None of those icons for Ubuntu are in Trusty from what I can tell. When's the image from?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The Merkinman posted:

sudo apt-get install unity8
/usr/share/icons/suru/apps/
Ahh ok the Unity8 tech demo icon theme. It's not shipping yet so there's still time to muck with this stuff. It's pretty embarrassing the way you present it.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Helpimscared posted:

Does unity still suck and spy on you via amazon?
You can disable all online search results in a single setting in the preferences menu.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I am not a book posted:

Wait are you all really suggesting that since the icons are too similar to other instantly-recognizable icons, users should switch to different icons that look less like what the entire world expects to be the icon for a web browser?

Also, that chart is technically incorrect(yes, the very best kind I know :v:): you should be using the "browser" icon instead of the chrome icon.

I mean really, who cares whether the icons are the same? Barring some sort of IP lawsuit it's not like anyone is injured in any way.
The main trouble is that the safari icon itself isn't very good. Aping it is just mindless. Nothing in it suggests web browser -- the iconogrpahy vaguely suggests the word "Safari", but there's nothing browser about it at all. The emblem isn't even round (like every other browser).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I am not a book posted:

Oh for sure Numix looks really nice, not my particular cup of tea but I can appreciate the work that's gone into it because it really shows.
You're kind of missing the point of an ideogram though if you think that they don't need to be easily identifiable; I really don't even know how to respond to that, because the idea that I should have to guess what a button does is completely foreign to me. Look at this picture. It uses some cultural shorthand obviously(slashed circle), but it's immediately obvious what the intent is... and that's how computer interfaces should be. Anything else makes interaction difficult for the user, which defeats the entire purpose. If they had just changed the colors and the way the needle was pointing, I'd be having this conversation with someone else about "look how badly Ubuntu rips off Apple".

edit to your edit: Would we be having this same conversation about the floppy icon as a ideogram for "Save" if we were both 30 years older?
Copying Apple is wrong because 1) The Apple icons are not very good to neophytes, and 2) "Familiarity" only makes sense if our users are coming from Apple products. Apple is a tiny, tiny minority of the cell phone world. Ubuntu is positioning itself to be the next Android, and Android completely dominates Apple in popularity if you get outside the rich western bubble.

There are better metaphors for a browser icon than trying to suggest "Safari" in a browser that isn't even named that.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Stanley Pain posted:

What the gently caress are you smoking?

While I might not like Apple in the least, they are certainly not tiny in the cell phone world (Western World or not).
Apple has got about 10.4% share by units sold, and given their upscale market niche it's very reasonable to think the buyers of apple products are among those that already have smart phones.

Copying an icon because 10% of people will recognize it doesn't make sense, especially since a large chunk of those 10% would recognize a more standard icon as well.

quote:

Ubuntu being the next Android :psyduck: :whoptc:

I don't disagree with you on the sentiment of copying Apple's icons though.
Yes, Ubuntu wants to be the next open platform for phones. It's got a long way to go to beat Android (which is also an open platform for phones in the way that iOS isn't). Both are trying to make plays for emerging (cheap) markets in a way that Apple isn't.

I don't think Ubuntu will grow particularly quickly in this regard, but it's certainly not doing an Apple walled-garden strategy.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Stanley Pain posted:

Units sold/shipped is a bloody dubious metric to use at best. Subscriber + Market Share numbers paint a different picture. In the US it's about 50/50 Android/iOS and in the rest of the world it's 35/65 give or take ~5%.
Careful not to lump in tablet numbers (though if we want to talk about mobile in general that might be reasonable).

I would also suggest that using straight up market share is not correct, as it weights by the price of the item and Apple products are several times more expensive than Android products. Apple users should not count three times as much ;)

That said, if people use iDevices 3 times longer before replacing them then units sold will underestimate them in a similarly bad way.

Regardless, this is a bit of a silly thing to be arguing about. There are plenty of good reasons not to ape the safari icon.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Surprise T Rex posted:

I wish I'd known about Mint basically being terrible before now. I'd always thought it was basically an almost-identical alternative to Ubuntu.

Are the varying 'flavours' (Ku-, Xu-, Lu-, etc.) 100% identical aside from the DE provided? Considering dropping a copy onto an old ASUS EEE PC 900 I've got lying around, and having a lightweight-but-functionally-the-same version would be ace.
As far as I know, yes. The only changes that might lie deeper are those that just come from installing packages in a standard ubuntu system in a different order (for instance, the shutdown screen will show "Lubuntu" if you installed lubuntu-desktop more recently than ubuntu-desktop)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Applebees posted:

Those are the packages that are currently published in the PPA, so that wine1.7-amd64_1.7.17-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb is for raring.

1.7.22 is the version currently in the PPA for trusty. I'm looking for an older version that was published a little while ago but has since been replaced.

Applebees posted:

Is there a place that archives the debs from https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ubuntu/ppa? Specifically, I am looking for wine 1.7.17 for trusty.

I have them automatically rsync'd to here: http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/archive/binary/

Sometimes the server runs out of disk space and it takes me a while to realize it and it'll miss a few versions though.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

deimos posted:

Also throwback to the dumb icon talk, they're technically stealing webkit's icon, not safari's.
This might explain things a bit. It is a webkit browser.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Prince John posted:

Is there a kind soul in this thread that is able to compile a version of wine 1.3.34 or earlier so it will run on a 64 bit 14.04 install please?

For some reason, I'm chronically unable to build earlier versions of wine from source on Ubuntu 14.04, even though they build ok on my Fedora install.

As an example, the error I get when trying to compile 1.2.2 (one that I have been able to successfully compile on Fedora) is:

I also get the same error trying to build 1.3.34 itself. The reason I need it is this bug/feature added for 1.3.35 that removed the ability to use brush tools easily in Photoshop. I don't seem to be able to successfully apply the patch for more recent versions either.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks!
The likely problem you'll run into when trying to build a Wine this old on Trusty is that it has newer libraries that weren't yet supported (and doesn't have the old libraries that were).

Looking at the bug though a much more recent workaround patch was posted: https://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=47950&action=diff

Try applying that to a modern wine (the patch was made for wine 1.7.15) and you'll have much better luck compiling from source.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Prince John posted:

Hey Shadowhawk, thanks for the help.

I think my problem is I'm not able to successfully compile any of these recent versions (i.e. I haven't even tried the patch yet). I created a brand new Ubuntu 14.04 VM, 32-bit this time to avoid making the building more complicated than needed, updated repos, ran sudo apt-get build-dep wine to bring in the prerequisites.

Running ./tools/wineinstall completes the configure stage without a hitch but never completes the make process. There are no error messages, it just never stops. I've now tried with 1.7.15, 1.7.24 and the latest stable, 1.6.2, using the sources straight from sourceforge. Eventually I kill the process with ctrl+c, but the one I left the longest (about an hour) now has a directory size of 766MB which doesn't seem quite right - I guess the process is stuck in a loop somehow?

I'm tempted to file a bug, as presumably (at least) the stable version should build on a pristine 14.04 install? I may well be screwing things up without realising it somehow though. This is identical to what happened when I first tried to build these later versions on another Ubuntu VM a couple of months ago.
Hah, I've run into this bug before actually, when compiling with a VM. Configure will run over and over again. It has something to do with the time stamps.

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8967

The source of the problem was vmware - when you suspend a virtual machine, some
strange things can happen to the system time unless you enable a certain option
to keep it in sync.

I reset the system clock on the VM and rebuilt the package, and all appears to
be normal. Closing bug.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I've been getting occasional nagging-sounding email asking me to keep putting out new Wine betas for 12.04.

I'd rather not since it's old and extra work, but I'd really like to know what sort of use case desktop users might have for beta Wine releases but not the latest LTS.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

evol262 posted:

As someone who still has to backport fixes to RHEL5 sometimes, welcome to long-term support.

Latest is good for us, but it's almost always users who have some application which won't work with a new version of python or oracle or their hardware is so old they can't get drivers for it on kernels past 3.2 or 2.6.28 or something. I'd almost guarantee the users requesting it are doing so because the WINE devs just fixed a bug in some game they think their 6800GT (or whatever) will run fine if only nvidia hadn't stopped supporting it in the binary driver years ago.
I'm pretty sure those users can use the old nvidia drivers on 14.04 though. We still ship nvidia-304 packages. (Default is -331)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

syntaxfunction posted:

The first is that you can't drag and drop things from the launcher to the desktop (Or anywhere else). I checked online and it's an acknowledged bug. It just seems bizarre to me you'd ship something where drag and drop doesn't work.
Drag and drop works fine, it's just never been implemented for removing launchers from the menu and putting them somewhere else. You're actually the first user I've come across who wanted launchers in their desktop instead of the dash and sidebar.

It should be made to work, don't get me wrong, but it's actually a pretty uncommon use case.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Xenomorph posted:

How can you tell when a package will be updated?

Ubuntu 14.04 installs pacemaker 1.1.10, which sometimes randomly segfaults and reboots the server when used with heartbeat.

pacemaker 1.1.11+ is supposed to fix the issue, but that isn't part of Ubuntu 14.04.

Adding this PPA allows me to install 1.1.11+:
https://launchpad.net/~david-gabriel/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

This is going on a production server, and I'm not too comfortable with some 3rd-party PPA.

pacemaker/heartbeat works on Ubuntu 12.04, but then we have another issue with another software package that we need throwing a fit with the Ruby libraries on 12.04.
One solution you can do is make a launchpad account and setup your own PPA, then just use the launchpad interface to copy the packages you want in there. That way it'll never disappear (or get updated) due to someone else, and you can also merge in whatever other third party package you want.

edit: Going a step further, depending on your scale, you could also make a launchpad team and have that team own the PPA (or several PPAs, like a -staging and -production). Then make yourself (or whoever works with/replaces you) members of that team.

For 250 dollars a year you can become a paid launchpad account which will give you the right to make said PPA private, but that's probably unnecessary.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 2, 2014

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ShadowHawk posted:

One solution you can do is make a launchpad account and setup your own PPA, then just use the launchpad interface to copy the packages you want in there. That way it'll never disappear (or get updated) due to someone else, and you can also merge in whatever other third party package you want.

edit: Going a step further, depending on your scale, you could also make a launchpad team and have that team own the PPA (or several PPAs, like a -staging and -production). Then make yourself (or whoever works with/replaces you) members of that team.

For 250 dollars a year you can become a paid launchpad account which will give you the right to make said PPA private, but that's probably unnecessary.

Forget all this, it was fixed in Ubuntu yesterday:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pacemaker/+bug/1353473

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ghostofbox posted:

I tried out 14.10 for a while, started from a clean install. General answer is yes.
In 14.04 and later:

Type "privacy" into the dash, click the "Security and Privacy", click the tab for search, and turn off "Online search results".

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Yvershek posted:

Since 12.10, I'm unable to connect to anything through my network card. I've looked around before and it seems like the network card isn't detected. Everything works perfectly if I boot and try the release without installing. Unfortunately, once it's installed it stops working. I never had any problems with 12.04 or earlier, so I'm wondering what the cause is.

I'm not asking for a step by step guide on fixing this, just seeing if anyone else is aware of it or has had the same problem.
Naively I would guess that a particular package isn't installed.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Grumpwagon posted:

Any idea when the Ubuntu Wine Team PPA will be updated? It appears to be stuck on 1.7.38 from March 12th (newest is 1.7.43).
oops

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Grumpwagon posted:

Not to nag, but it has now been 3 months since an update. Is there something I can do to facilitate this process? I know I could just build it from source, but I appreciate it automatically updating. If you think it would be better to just build it, I will though.

EDIT: Just updated, thanks!
It was confusion between Maarten and I who was still doing them.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

:confused: Those updates you are forcefully reverting are the support you say you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Aquila posted:

I've not force reverting anything, I'm installing the OS as distributed on the ISO and then testing what happens with and without letting it pull packages during and after install.
I still don't understand what you mean.

Support is delivered via package updates. If you prevent updates you are effectively turning down support.

• Locked thread