Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Look at me, I'm a designer for Canonical! *copy/pastes Apple icons because Apple*

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

ShadowHawk posted:

None of those icons for Ubuntu are in Trusty from what I can tell. When's the image from?

sudo apt-get install unity8
/usr/share/icons/suru/apps/

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Longinus00 posted:

Add elementary.
I'll probably update it later, augmenting the Ubuntu ones with the 'squircle' for added comedy effect.
Surprisingly, Elementary OS is not as bad. The browser is just the round Midori icon, calculator is I think the GNOME Adwaita one, Address book is copied, and maps doesn't exist. So yeah, Elementary OS, the Linux distro that wants to be Mac OS X so bad, is copying Apple less than Canonical.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Ahh ok the Unity8 tech demo icon theme. It's not shipping yet so there's still time to muck with this stuff. It's pretty embarrassing the way you present it.
The squircle makes it even worse! Unfortunately I don't see this getting addressed. It's not a functionality thing so coders won't know what to do, and designers are too much on Apple's cock to see the issue.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I am not a book posted:

Wait are you all really suggesting that since the icons are too similar to other instantly-recognizable icons, users should switch to different icons that look less like what the entire world expects to be the icon for a web browser?

Also, that chart is technically incorrect(yes, the very best kind I know :v:): you should be using the "browser" icon instead of the chrome icon.

I mean really, who cares whether the icons are the same? Barring some sort of IP lawsuit it's not like anyone is injured in any way.
iOS is not "the entire world". Android has a higher user base than iOS and as far as Chrome, it is leagues ahead of Safari in terms of user base. I'm not suggesting the icon should then copy Chrome though.
As of more recent versions of Android, Chrome is the browser :colbert:
A brand's identity shouldn't depend on a competitor. Why tempt an IP lawsuit? Apple has successfully sued Samsung for doing the same thing.

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 10, 2014

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Hmm what exactly is the 'bug' with the icons?
"Icon set assumes familiarity with other OS"?
"Some icons are unoriginal"?
"Icons make Canonical a target of an Apple lawsuit"?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

This might explain things a bit. It is a webkit browser.

But it goes back to "people aren't going to make that association". What percentage of users even know what WebKit is, let alone its icon?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Well, I filed a bug about the whole icon thing if anyone wants to say anything there.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

So since it looks like I'm going to have to reinstall anyway, I was looking at the different flavours in the OP and was wondering which desktop 12.04 used? I really don't like the new transparent spotted border thing, and the shutdown/reset dialogue now looks like a placeholder to me.
12.04 by default used Unity*, the same that's by default in 14.04. Granted Unity itself has gone through some changes since then.

You may have been using something like GNOME Classic, which you can get in 14.04.

*There was a "Unity 2D" version in 12.04. It is mostly the same UI, but not requiring a 3D Card. This is no longer available in 14.04 though.

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 3, 2014

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

There's also Unity 8...hahaha no that'll never be a stable option unless you buy a phone.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

G-Prime posted:

I'll refer you to http://www.canonical.com/services and their 24x7 support for the exact distro this thread is about.
:phone: my Ubuntu server isn't performing well.
:phoneb: what version are you running?
:phone: 14.04.1
:phoneb: please get the latest patches in the form of 14.04.4

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

16.04LTS Came out today.

I think the most notable changes are replacing Ubuntu apps for Debian apps (Calendar and Software). Also, the ability to move the Unity dock to the bottom of the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

so loving future posted:

Upgrading Ubuntu is such a loving shitshow every time. Update aborted because /boot was not ridiculously large, nuked some old images, and it went through. Only like 30 minutes of apt fuckery required. Backed up all my poo poo, but no need, everything came back perfectly on reboot. Yay!

Except now my screen flashes off a few times an hour, and *all* audio on the system is pitched down and slowed down. :psyduck: I don't have a good enough imagination to make up a symptom that weird.

I'm going to go back to NixOS or FreeBSD, this is some hot garbage.

edit: of course it's a pulseaudio, thanks lennart

I upgraded from 15.10 and now (non-guest?) sessions don't have the Unity launcher nor top bar :thumbsup:

Also, Yakety Yak

• Locked thread