Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

What's the performance/pita factor of swap partition vs swap file for Ubuntu these days for virtualization?

I need to build some VMs in VMWare vSphere that will need to be production ready and instead of having 10 different templates due to their swap partition sizes. I'm thinking I could get away with one template and add a swap file after it's deployed with a script but I am worried about performance issues or problems that I could run into later if anyone has any experience with this.

This sounds more like a general virtualisation question so you can try asking over in the virtualisation megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3467608

I'm pretty sure Dilbert As gently caress is sober right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

so loving future posted:

Upgrading Ubuntu is such a loving shitshow every time. Update aborted because /boot was not ridiculously large, nuked some old images, and it went through. Only like 30 minutes of apt fuckery required. Backed up all my poo poo, but no need, everything came back perfectly on reboot. Yay!

Except now my screen flashes off a few times an hour, and *all* audio on the system is pitched down and slowed down. :psyduck: I don't have a good enough imagination to make up a symptom that weird.

I'm going to go back to NixOS or FreeBSD, this is some hot garbage.

edit: of course it's a pulseaudio, thanks lennart

Isn't audio on Linux historically a fuckup?

• Locked thread