Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Radio Talmudist posted:

So is it still a bitch to dualboot a Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu machine because of EFI? I have Windows 8.1 and I've been itching to try the latest Ubuntu, but I don't think I can do it.

In my experience this is the fault of Windows, not Linux. I once set up a Windows 8 machine to dual-boot to Ubuntu, and it worked great... until the next time I booted into Windows, which would helpfully (and silently) "fix" the EFI settings for me, removing the Ubuntu entry, so I'd have to dick around in the bios menus to be able to boot to Ubuntu again. Annoying as hell.

(Note: this was maybe six months ago; no idea if Microsoft has fixed that since then.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I have a confession to make... for the last year or so, I've been using Mint. Mostly because I really like the Cinnamon desktop.

Last week I decided to redo my main workstation with a fresh install of Mint 17, which seemed great running it from a USB stick. So I install it and it's... an unstable hunk of crap. It locks up randomly. Plug in a pair of headphones to the front jack, and the entire sound system is borked -- start playing a sound? Freeze the whole system for fifteen seconds before it begins! -- until you get sick of it and reboot. And just today it somehow screwed up name resolution, of all things -- DNS lookups took about ten seconds each, no matter what server I set or anything else I tried, until I gave up and rebooted again. (How the hell do you screw up name resolution?) I've known Windows 98 boxes that were more stable than this.

Looks like I'll be coming home to Ubuntu, or at least Xubuntu. (Sorry, still can't stand Unity. :) )

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I've just replaced (buggy, crashy) Mint 17 on my main workstation with Xubuntu 14.04, and I have to say I'm impressed. Everything works out of the box and it's stable as a rock so far. I still like Cinnamon a little better than Xfce, but I can deal until Cinnamon support arrives in 14.10. Kudos to ShadowHawk and the other Official Ubuntu People!

Well, slight correction there -- ONE thing doesn't work, and it's not even technically part of Ubuntu. When booting from the live image on a USB stick, the memory test option fails with "Cannot load a ramdisk with an old kernel image" unless first you hit tab to edit the boot options and remove "append initrd=/ubninit" from the end. But this has been broken for literally years. :)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

ghostofbox posted:

I just switched from Ubuntu 14.04 to Mint 17. Do I have some woes in my future?

Hard to say. I've only used Mint 17 on this one box, so for all I know the problems might have been due to some obscure little hardware-related thing that would only affect a tiny fraction of people. But whatever the cause, it was a disaster. I was rebooting three or four times a day due to freezes or general wonkiness. This same box ran an older Mint (14, I think?) for over a year with no issues, and Xubuntu 14.04 also appears perfectly stable so far.

• Locked thread