Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Buy a Raspberry Pi, stick Debian on it (very similar to Ubuntu) and learn how to dick about with SSH in the terminal. Communicating with, and controlling, the Pi using an Ubuntu system gave me extra confidence and knowledge with the terminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Playing with a Raspberry Pi over SSH is very forgiving to the novice. You just download an ISO file of Raspbian, write it onto a memory card and run it on the Pi. Then if you gently caress something up over SSH you can just write over the memory card and you're back where you started. I remember doing the classic trick of enabling ufw on the Pi, then logging out and realising I hadn't allowed port 22 (the SSH port) so it was impossible to log back in again. A quick image write later and I was up and running again.

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I think Mir is necessary for Canonical to go ahead with cross compatibility with Ubuntu Touch devices (phones, tablets etc.).

It's a shame that they couldn't have developed Touch compatibility on top of Wayland, but I have no idea how possible that would've been.

• Locked thread