Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Wait are you all really suggesting that since the icons are too similar to other instantly-recognizable icons, users should switch to different icons that look less like what the entire world expects to be the icon for a web browser?

Also, that chart is technically incorrect(yes, the very best kind I know :v:): you should be using the "browser" icon instead of the chrome icon.

I mean really, who cares whether the icons are the same? Barring some sort of IP lawsuit it's not like anyone is injured in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

The Merkinman posted:

iOS is not "the entire world". Android has a higher user base than iOS and as far as Chrome, it is leagues ahead of Safari in terms of user base. I'm not suggesting the icon should then copy Chrome though.
As of more recent versions of Android, Chrome is the browser :colbert:
A brand's identity shouldn't depend on a competitor. Why tempt an IP lawsuit? Apple has successfully sued Samsung for doing the same thing.

Yeah you're right by install base iOS isn't the majority, but by design paradigm, iOS is what people recognize. The IP thing though, yeah that might be an issue, I don't know because I'm so freetarded I poo poo RMS.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

The main trouble is that the safari icon itself isn't very good. Aping it is just mindless. Nothing in it suggests web browser -- the iconogrpahy vaguely suggests the word "Safari", but there's nothing browser about it at all. The emblem isn't even round (like every other browser).

"Mindless" isn't a negative when you're trying to hit users on a subconscious level, I'm going to be pissed if I have to spend any noticeable time identifying what icons do what. If you're going after the mythical person who has never seen an iphone before then yeah go hog wild on completely unique icons, but there aren't many of them that are going to be buying BQ phones.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I mean, I agree with your point of "who really cares". The real reason I like the numix icons is that they look good, I couldn't care less if they're the same as some other platform. But the point about the icons needing to be easily identifiable? B.S. It's laziness.

Oh for sure Numix looks really nice, not my particular cup of tea but I can appreciate the work that's gone into it because it really shows.
You're kind of missing the point of an ideogram though if you think that they don't need to be easily identifiable; I really don't even know how to respond to that, because the idea that I should have to guess what a button does is completely foreign to me. Look at this picture. It uses some cultural shorthand obviously(slashed circle), but it's immediately obvious what the intent is... and that's how computer interfaces should be. Anything else makes interaction difficult for the user, which defeats the entire purpose. If they had just changed the colors and the way the needle was pointing, I'd be having this conversation with someone else about "look how badly Ubuntu rips off Apple".

edit to your edit: Would we be having this same conversation about the floppy icon as a ideogram for "Save" if we were both 30 years older?

I am not a book fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 12, 2014

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

No, you missed my point. Of course I agree that the icons should be easily identifiable and not require any mental effort to identify.

But I don't think pointing the compass in a direction other than NE or making the equals sign a different color would add any mental overhead at all.

You phrased your point in an unclear way.
What I'm saying is that complaining about the fact that the needle points a different way on the compass is like complaining that the second software project to use the floppy disk icon as a save icon didn't draw the protective plastic piece in a different position than the first software project. But that was in the context of "icons needing to be easily identifiable? B.S. It's laziness" which I misinterpreted, so I'm not really disagreeing with you.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Fair enough. I meant that's a BS excuse for the extreme similarity, not a BS thing to shoot for in general.

I mean, I disagree with that, but that's because I'm not in a position where my IP is ever going to be monetized so I can afford to be like "yeah copy everything who cares" so it doesn't bother me at all. v :) v

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
God drat Unity8's desktop UI cannot come fast enough. gently caress compiz.
On a positive note: Netflix in Chrome natively!

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

bollig posted:

I also never got around to installing Linux because of the whole Secure Boot thing.

FWIW, Ubuntu works with SecureBoot.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

If I leave the machine alone it goes to the lock screen and turns off the monitor. That's all good. If I go System -> Suspend it goes down fine but upon reboot it hangs. Hope that's clear enough.

When it comes back up, is the screen black?

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Is OpenConnect the linux version of the official AnyConnect client, or is it a FLOSS implementation? If so, can you try using the AnyConnect client?
Alternate option: consider bribing one of your University's network people with beer in exchange for any tips they might have... odds are they're using linux themselves.

edit: yeah openconnect is not the official client. I'd give the official client a shot and see if it works, which would at least give you VPN access even if it's not as nice as openconnect, and then you can troubleshoot openconnect later.

I am not a book fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Badly Jester posted:

I didn't try AnyConnect initially because the instructions on my university's website specifically said to use OpenConnect over AnyConnect. I've tried it now, and it produces the same error message as OpenConnect, the instant that I hit 'connect'. This happens on two different computers I've tried, too, so I guess poo poo is just hosed.

What's the error message?

• Locked thread